2014+ Mud Guards / Flaps

Unless there is something unique with the GM Nutsert you can do them without a tool. Find a bolt that matches the threads....usually 2.5" X 1/4" and washer a and nut. Thread the nut to the top of the bolt add washer and start the bolt in the nutsert. Place in hole and tighten until nutsert is pulled tight. The nut is sometimes necessary to help hold in place while you remove bolt. You can also hold the bolt with one wrench and finish tightening with the nut. It's best to keep from spinning the nutsert in the hole.

Edit...spell check turned nutsert into nursery.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting for sure. I followed the instructions that came with them. Basically had to step up the hole size with 3 different bits. Once that was done, I put the "nutsert" in and used the supplied screws that came with the kit. Once it got a few threads in it, it expanded and gripped the rest of the metal around it and the screw tightened as normal. I was concerned at first because I could rotate the "nutsert" in the hole that was drilled. So far, so good. If something were to happen, I'd use self tapping screws for them all and not drill anything if possible.

Anyone tried doing it that way?

Interesting for sure. I followed the instructions that came with them. Basically had to step up the hole size with 3 different bits. Once that was done, I put the "nutsert" in and used the supplied screws that came with the kit. Once it got a few threads in it, it expanded and gripped the rest of the metal around it and the screw tightened as normal. I was concerned at first because I could rotate the "nutsert" in the hole that was drilled. So far, so good. If something were to happen, I'd use self tapping screws for them all and not drill anything if possible.

Anyone tried doing it that way?

I think what you described will work, but perhaps will not be as snug as when using the proper nutsert tool which makes the install without any spinning of the bolt, i.e, you can make it that much tighter if the female end isn't spinning free.

I think what you described will work, but perhaps will not be as snug as when using the proper nutsert tool which makes the install without any spinning of the bolt, i.e, you can make it that much tighter if the female end isn't spinning free.

The female portion only spun by hand. Once the bolt was in it, it spread and snugged up well. Torqued down good, too. Still like the self-tapping idea next time! :flag:

Lots of great info. My flaps came in so I will watch some videos on this process and try some of your suggestions. Won't be installing them till this weekend, but I'll keep you posted on what worked for me as well. Thanks y'all.

Unless there is something unique with the GM Nutsert you can do them without a tool. Find a bolt that matches the threads....usually 2.5" X 1/4" and washer a and nut. Thread the nut to the top of the bolt add washer and start the bolt in the nutsert. Place in hole and tighten until nutsert is pulled tight. The nut is sometimes necessary to help hold in place while you remove bolt. You can also hold the bolt with one wrench and finish tightening with the nut. It's best to keep from spinning the nutsert in the hole.

Edit...spell check turned nutsert into nursery.

Here's a video of the trick he's talking about:

I tried this trick and got it to work on 3 of the 4 rivet nuts. I think my downfall was that the metric bolts I bought to use weren't hardened enough, but the store only had one grade of bolt for the metric sizes. If I could start from scratch I would just find some black self-tapping screws and skip the inserts. I don't know why that wouldn't be secure enough. The back ones were cake even with removing the tires.

Early in this thread I think someone asked if the guards clear steps/running boards. I have Luverne nerf bars on my truck and the splash guards just clear them, but they make it really hard to drill the hole and insert the self-tapping screw on the bottom of the splash guard. If you're going to put both on your truck, put the guards on first.

I had my OEM color matched installed yesterday. I was going to do it myself, but decided that the $80 install fee was worth it.

I have the OEM 22" wheels, there's no rubbing and IMO look really good. I'll try and shoot some pics, later this morning.

Mike

I had my OEM color matched installed yesterday. I was going to do it myself, but decided that the $80 install fee was worth it.

I have the OEM 22" wheels, there's no rubbing and IMO look really good. I'll try and shoot some pics, later this morning.

Mike

That's pretty go price for dealer install my dealer wanted to charge me $200 just for install think Im going to go with Huskey or wait for weathertec non drill model to come out

That's pretty go price for dealer install my dealer wanted to charge me $200 just for install think Im going to go with Huskey or wait for weathertec non drill model to come out

I don't think I got anything special as far as pricing goes. Service manger told me that it was a half hour for the front and half for the back.

I turned the vehicle in at 0715 yesterday morning and at 0820 I was called that it was ready for pickup. I also had the tires rotated, and the AFM update loaded.

Mike

Word of advice guys! If you have the guards installed at the dealership, you better make sure that their techs understand that they need to read the directions and leave all of the fender spats on the truck. The idiot that installed mine pulled all of them off and threw them away even though you can obviously tell that the guards are molded to fit around the factory pieces. Now, I have gaps where they should be. My coworker, the service manager is not gonna be too happy when I go in next week and order all four of my spats from GM and another complete set of guards for front and rear since these are now ruined and must be replaced. His wonder boy tech that failed to read the instuctions just cost him a nice little wad of cash and I am gonna fight for my installation labor to be refunded too. I will replace everything and do it myself this time, I just hope he didn't screw up anything that I can't see since the guards are covering the areas where the spats were. I realized after reading the GM service manual that all four factory pieces have retainers that clip into the body and must be released to be removed, so I hope this ignoramous didn't snatch them off and damage the body panels and paint. Now I know how a lot of you "regular" customers feel about dealers since it even happens to me and I work at one! LOL

Word of advice guys! If you have the guards installed at the dealership, you better make sure that their techs understand that they need to read the directions and leave all of the fender spats on the truck. The idiot that installed mine pulled all of them off and threw them away even though you can obviously tell that the guards are molded to fit around the factory pieces. Now, I have gaps where they should be. My coworker, the service manager is not gonna be too happy when I go in next week and order all four of my spats from GM and another complete set of guards for front and rear since these are now ruined and must be replaced. His wonder boy tech that failed to read the instuctions just cost him a nice little wad of cash and I am gonna fight for my installation labor to be refunded too. I will replace everything and do it myself this time, I just hope he didn't screw up anything that I can't see since the guards are covering the areas where the spats were. I realized after reading the GM service manual that all four factory pieces have retainers that clip into the body and must be released to be removed, so I hope this ignoramous didn't snatch them off and damage the body panels and paint. Now I know how a lot of you "regular" customers feel about dealers since it even happens to me and I work at one! LOL

Sorry to hear that, I'd be pissed! No gaps on mine, I always request that my friend (who's a mechanic) installs everything I bring in. He's a real mechanic, not a parts changer. I feel confident he did what was supposed to be done.

Hope it all works out for you!

MIke

Just installed mine this weekend and man do they look good! I ended up not using the nutserts at all. Like others said, using self tapping screws made everything a lot easier. In fact, when reading the directions it says that the vertical screws at the bottom are "self tapping" so I'm confident they're fine. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.

My truck came with the "heavy duty" mud guards. And at first I wasn't thrilled to see them on there. (My dealer acquired my truck from a different dealer, everything is spec'd correctly). But after driving with them for a couple months. They grew on me.

Archived