2014+ Mud Guards / Flaps

Does that little flap in front of the rear wheels actually do anything? Any big deal if you remove it?

I got the OEM painted fender flares and mud flaps to put on my truck this weekend, and I was thinking of leaving that little flap off since it's not painted to match.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking to order the OEM molded mudflaps I think. What's the difference between "black" and "black grained"??

For a Sierra? I would say the "black" are painted & smooth. The "black grained" have the same texture as the wheel opening trim.

I have the grained on mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my rear molded mud flaps on my 2014 sierra. Install was a breeze.

The front... Not so much. Started on the drivers side. I have all the right drill bits so that's not an issue. I do not have the nutsert tool though so I tried to make my own with a bolt and nut. It didn't work so I wrecked two of the nutserts. So now I have to find some new ones. My neighbor is a mechanic and he says they have a similar nutsert tool at work and he's going to get it for me today. Hopefully everything works out.

I have the DuraFlap on my truck. They seem to give so much more coverage than the molded style, I got the extra long on the rear. My boat stays cleaner and no rock chips.

I like the look more than the molded. I did not have to drill any holes in my truck to install them.

My friend has them extra long on the front since their truck is leveled. They also offer 14" wide for wider tires. They will also do custom sizes if needed.

post-121073-0-26687500-1412645075_thumb.jpg

post-121073-0-76012000-1412645248_thumb.jpg

I've got my rear molded mud flaps on my 2014 sierra. Install was a breeze.

The front... Not so much. Started on the drivers side. I have all the right drill bits so that's not an issue. I do not have the nutsert tool though so I tried to make my own with a bolt and nut. It didn't work so I wrecked two of the nutserts. So now I have to find some new ones. My neighbor is a mechanic and he says they have a similar nutsert tool at work and he's going to get it for me today. Hopefully everything works out.

I didn't even bother with those front nutserts. I just used regular self tapping screws like others suggested in this thread.

Also, to answer my own question from above, I put on the painted flares too and didn't bother to reinstall the little black flap in front the rear wheels. Looks better without it there.

Well my neighbor got his tool and came over. Finished the one side in 15 minutes after fighting with it for an hour yesterday. Then moved on to the other side and I swear did the whole thing start to finish in 10 minutes. I feel like I could do it for a living now with how easy that one was.

Easy question from a newbie. What size are the Nutserts or Rivet nuts on the front. I have access to

a Nutsert tool but you need to know which head to use. 1/4-20, 10-24 etc??? I have read this entire

thread and can't seem to find the answer. Any body got a copy of the install instructions??

Thanks in advance.

Busted knuckle

Ill look when I get home. I know the ones you get with the flaps are metric and you need to drill a 23/64" hole. I couldn't get the factory ones to work so I got a standard nutsert tool from my friend and used 1/4-20 nutserts that came with the tool. Just had to go out and buy some screws and washers that were the same thread and black (cost me 89 cents lol).

Edit: couldn't find instructions, may have thrown them out. Will check again tomorrow.

Does that little flap in front of the rear wheels actually do anything? Any big deal if you remove it?

I got the OEM painted fender flares and mud flaps to put on my truck this weekend, and I was thinking of leaving that little flap off since it's not painted to match.

They are there for wind resistance to increase gas mileage. Probably won't make much difference removing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to stray off topic but reading through this whole thread, I noticed some people nay-saying the guards/flaps. "Stupidest thing you can do to a truck"....

Coming from someone who's had the pleasure of driving a performance car behind a fullsize pickup in a rain storm, I can tell you it's good karma and courtesy to think about whomever is driving behind you. Most American full size trucks, especially with A/T tires, will blind and cover whomever is within a few hundred feet behind them in the right conditions.

This is the reason I buy them on every truck I've owned. I personally think all highway-use passenger trucks should be required to have them.

Archived