Does new 5.3 burn oil?

Don't know which trucks ur talkin about. I owned an 84 3/4 ton, dad owned a pile of old Chevys. Never burnt any oil, the old 305's and 350's wouldn't burn any oil until like 200k lol...if they did it was just abuse.

This is 2013, if they can figure out how to get a reliable 400hp out of a small block Chevy from factory, have all kinds of crazy technology built into these trucks but they can't figure out how to stop burning oil?? Are you kidding me???

I don't care what anybody says, I would never ever spend cash on something that burns oil. The whole "gm says it's acceptable" thing is a wad of BS. Doesn't take a brainiac to figure out somebody is getting swindled and it sure isn't GM!! It's the poor sucker paying 50k for a brand new nice looking beauty lookin Chevy but oh jeez it burns oil LOL....oh but it's ok...it's acceptable

Manufacturers are stating acceptable oil consumption across the board in various engines and applications. It's not limited to trucks or the 5.3 engine. They don't care what an old 350, 305, 318, 351, yada, yada, yada, did. They are stating this to CYA. One quart every 3-4000 miles has been what was a "rule of thumb" for years, but now that oil change intervals have lengthened, people notice the drop in oil, and manufacturers are having to state the accepted consumption rate so they don't have liability issues if some fool has a failure because they were low on oil.

It's a mystery to me, as well, but I don't recall any other 5.3 engines with oil consumption issues other than the 5.3 with aluminum block and AFM that kinda started this mess. Not sure about other AFM engines in the GM stable, at least not getting the attention that one did. Check the Ford and Chrysler forums or just do a search. It's not just GM saying this.

GMs 5.3 is not the only motor to burn oil. My borther inlaws Audi burns 1 quart every 4k and Audi has stated it is normal. Also my buddies 07 5.3 non AFM uses a quart every 3 to 4k also.

Edited by NEFisher11

I've got 4200 miles on my truck and it still shows full as well. Like others have said, it may be much later before an issue arises. I believe the 5.3 that started this didn't develop this until around 30,000 miles or so, from what owners have said.

I understand that GM did some upgrades on the oil burning engines in the GMT900 series.

At least for engines where the problem occurred.

We can only hope that GM solved the problems for good and has now a strong, fuel efficient and reliable engine to offer.

so long

j-ten-ner

Ya for sure. For those that do not know about the oil consumption on the 5.3, here is the thread in the 900 section. some are using the range to turn of AFM and catch can for back up....not sure AFM can be blamed for oil consumption.......by the way mine is on an oil consumption test and it started burning around 50,000...but I did not double check the full fill last change so this time will tell if really burning oil.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/127812-is-your-gmt-900-truck-or-suv-using-oil/page-25

Edited by STex

I guess we can always hope for the best. Do other manufacturers have this kind of acceptability of oil consumption on their vehicles? Maybe these new EcoTec3 engines won't burn oil, but GM wants to CYA for now. Thing is, if it burns that much oil, it's not very "ECO" friendly, is it?

Yes. I forget offhand what the amount is but in our Toyota van manual it has a consumption acceptability limit. I can tell you this it is higher than GM

Ryan

So the service writer told me to bring my truck in for an oil change when the readout says 25% because the dextrol oil it takes is only a semi synthetic. I've got 6000 miles and showing 23%. If that's the oil the truck calls for then why isn't 25% remaining 0%? Btw I don't usually run full synthetic over 7000 miles typically try for 5000 but it ends up someplace between the two. By the time the readout would say 0% I would have 7500 miles on a semi synthetic.

Don't know which trucks ur talkin about. I owned an 84 3/4 ton, dad owned a pile of old Chevys. Never burnt any oil, the old 305's and 350's wouldn't burn any oil until like 200k lol...if they did it was just abuse.

This is 2013, if they can figure out how to get a reliable 400hp out of a small block Chevy from factory, have all kinds of crazy technology built into these trucks but they can't figure out how to stop burning oil?? Are you kidding me???

I don't care what anybody says, I would never ever spend cash on something that burns oil. The whole "gm says it's acceptable" thing is a wad of BS. Doesn't take a brainiac to figure out somebody is getting swindled and it sure isn't GM!! It's the poor sucker paying 50k for a brand new nice looking beauty lookin Chevy but oh jeez it burns oil LOL....oh but it's ok...it's acceptable

Manufacturers are stating acceptable oil consumption across the board in various engines and applications. It's not limited to trucks or the 5.3 engine. They don't care what an old 350, 305, 318, 351, yada, yada, yada, did. They are stating this to CYA. One quart every 3-4000 miles has been what was a "rule of thumb" for years, but now that oil change intervals have lengthened, people notice the drop in oil, and manufacturers are having to state the accepted consumption rate so they don't have liability issues if some fool has a failure because they were low on oil.

It's a mystery to me, as well, but I don't recall any other 5.3 engines with oil consumption issues other than the 5.3 with aluminum block and AFM that kinda started this mess. Not sure about other AFM engines in the GM stable, at least not getting the attention that one did. Check the Ford and Chrysler forums or just do a search. It's not just GM saying this.

The 6.2 camaro (automatic) has AFM. Don't hear much about oil consumption in the L99 engine at least on the other forums I am on

Ryan

Hello,

I understand that you are curious about if any fellow member have run into oil consumption issues but are you having any vehicle issues? If so, I am happy to assist. If I can be of any assistance, please private message me including your contact information, VIN, exact mileage, and preferred dealership.

Regards,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

• Like 1

Sorry I lost you there j-ten-ner, what I should have said is, I thought that when I checked my oil when it was new it read right in the center of the cross hatch. Now it reads 1/4 way up the cross hatch. Yes it has burned some oil. Now you got me second guessing where the oil level was when new, either way it's burned oil. And as you can see from my fuelly average I don't push it hard at all.