Adding Navigation to Intellilink / MyLink System

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#1 bluegrasscamper

bluegrasscamper

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

We just purchased a new 2014 Silverado and was wondering if anyone knows if Map Navigation can be loaded into the Chevy MyLink system? Since it is all one big computer it seems that it would be a simple software upgrade. Thanks! 

2014 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab 1500

#2 dagwood2001

dagwood2001

Enthusiast

• 97 posts
  • Drives:2014 Silverado Crew Cab LT

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

We just purchased a new 2014 Silverado and was wondering if anyone knows if Map Navigation can be loaded into the Chevy MyLink system? Since it is all one big computer it seems that it would be a simple software upgrade. Thanks! 

I asked this question at my dealership and was told no. I also would like to upgrade. If anyone has heard otherwise, please advise :)

#3 NitroCherokee

NitroCherokee

Enthusiast

• 600 posts
  • Drives:08 F250 Super Crew 4x4 Powerstroke & 06 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

No, and as of right now an upgrade is not available. It is coming. It is not just one big computer either, depending on which "MyLink" system you have it is at least 4 "computers"

Edited by NitroCherokee, 14 October 2013 - 11:42 AM.

Drive Fast, Take Chances, Swerve Alot

#4 txwhaler76

txwhaler76

Enthusiast

• 19 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

I spoke with GM customer support last week and they said it has to be installed at the factory when the truck is being assembled.

I spoke with GM customer support last week and they said it has to be installed at the factory when the truck is being assembled.

#5 GMC-AT

GMC-AT

Enthusiast

• 856 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC AT -Double Cab SLT, Loaded

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I couldn't imagine GM will allow this. Otherwise no one would order a truck with the NAVI upgrade... lost $$ for GM... 

2014 GMC AT Double Cab - STL Loaded

#6 clayp

clayp

Enthusiast

• 174 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra SLE crew std bed 4x4

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

it is unlikely that any factory NAV would work better than Google Maps

2001 Silverado ECSB Z71 4x4 6.0l swap

2012 Suburban Z71 4x4

2014 Sierra CC std bed 4x4 SLE

#7 Derodeo

Derodeo

Enthusiast

• 76 posts
  • Name:Chuck
  • Drives:2000 GMC 2500, 2011 MKX

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Unless you're somewhere without a cell phone signal. And those places happen to be the areas I most need to know where I am. Still factory navigation is always extremely disappointing to me, manufacturers just treat it as a cash cow and don't much care about functionality. 

#8 2014 Sporty Shorty

2014 Sporty Shorty

Enthusiast

• 175 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Drives:2014 SLE single cab short box

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

If you have mylink (even the small 4.3 screen) then you have nav. You have to download the onstar app pn your phone and as long as you have gps on your phone, it will use that signal and allow you to have turn by turn with audio and visual nav on in your truck. Just figured it out myself today and it works great consdering it's free.

I'm not spoiled, it's called a job

#9 BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,094 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra Z-71 SLT

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

Was told that at this point it would need to be taken into the dealership to have any updates flashed.  Stupid considering there is an SD card slot...

Just got back from a 1400 mile trip and I can tell you this is the best factory NAV I've ever used (it can be a tad slow at times but otherwise it's awesome!).  I really like it!

#10 MotoMedic

MotoMedic

K2 Moderator

• 1,678 posts
  • Name:David
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra SLT

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

I couldn't imagine GM will allow this. Otherwise no one would order a truck with the NAVI upgrade... lost $$ for GM... 

I second that. You'll likely have to wait 6 months to a year for the aftermarket to come up with something.

2014 SIERRA 1500 2WD CREW CAB SLT  [MFG DATE 05/2013] [PUR DATE 06/2013]
5.3L 6-spd . Driver Alert Pkg . Preferred Pkg . Bose/Nav Pkg . Sierra Denali Grille . 20" SLT Chrome Wheels . 33" Cooper Zeon LTZ Tires . Rough Country Leveling Kit . Black Bear Tune . Magnaflow Muffler . 4500K HIDs . VLED Fogs . Vision X Front Light Bar . Rigid Rear Light Pods . Whelen Vertex Strobes . DieHard Platinum Battery . HD Drive Cam . RF Punch P300.1 Amp . RF P3SD 10" Sub . 20% Tint  . RollBAK Bed Cover . Undercover Swing Case . Power Tailgate Lock

#11 Toddfather

Toddfather

The Toddfather

• 64 posts
  • Name:Todd Rarick
  • Drives:2014 Sierra SLT Crew Cab 2wd Diamond White

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

If you have mylink (even the small 4.3 screen) then you have nav. You have to download the onstar app pn your phone and as long as you have gps on your phone, it will use that signal and allow you to have turn by turn with audio and visual nav on in your truck. Just figured it out myself today and it works great consdering it's free.

You mean it will get turn arrows and voice correct? Or are you getting a map on your screen?

Black-RedGlow_zpsaf60e422.jpg

#12 stiggy1

stiggy1

Enthusiast

• 105 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

No, and as of right now an upgrade is not available. It is coming. It is not just one big computer either, depending on which "MyLink" system you have it is at least 4 "computers"

HMMM now see that makes everything different, so are you saying that they are not all the same head units or are you saying that each is programmed differently at plant and you get what you get, or are you saying that it comes pre programmed from a factory and then installed in the truck?  Belleve it or not this is a very very popular question!

#13 stiggy1

stiggy1

Enthusiast

• 105 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

You mean it will get turn arrows and voice correct? Or are you getting a map on your screen?

i use the on star system, it just shows an arrow on your screen if you are gonna make a right or left and shows how close to the turn your getting put thats it, very basic plus the voice telling you that a turn is comming up.  It also shows the arrow on the little screen between the gauge clusters

#14 NitroCherokee

NitroCherokee

Enthusiast

• 600 posts
  • Drives:08 F250 Super Crew 4x4 Powerstroke & 06 GMC Yukon XL 4x4

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

HMMM now see that makes everything different, so are you saying that they are not all the same head units or are you saying that each is programmed differently at plant and you get what you get, or are you saying that it comes pre programmed from a factory and then installed in the truck?  Belleve it or not this is a very very popular question!

I am not sure what you mean by "head unit" This system does not have a "head unit". To upgrade an IO5 MyLink Radio to be a IO6 NAV MyLink radio it would require a new HMI (Human Machine Interface Module), Coax Cable, an Antenna Splitter, and programming to the Tuner, HMI, and VCIM 

Drive Fast, Take Chances, Swerve Alot

#15 BringTheRain403

BringTheRain403

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,094 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra Z-71 SLT

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

i use the on star system, it just shows an arrow on your screen if you are gonna make a right or left and shows how close to the turn your getting put thats it, very basic plus the voice telling you that a turn is comming up.  It also shows the arrow on the little screen between the gauge clusters

That will go away when your 6 month onstar trial ends...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users