Adding Navigation to Intellilink / MyLink System

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks I am going to try and figure out how to get mine up a little higher maybe left side of windshield

I put mine down low cause I don't like too much stuff on my windshield. It works very well where it's been installed. I do have a cordless radar detector on windshield just below rear view mirror. Good luck with your install, post a pic after you have installed it

That is the correct HMI, yes

Kodiakz,

Can you explain why the system needs a second GPS antenna? The vehicle already has one for the Onstar / Onstar nav functionality. Do vehicles shipped with Nav from the factory also have two antennas?

Well, when the trucks come from the factory with nav, we found that they have all the necessary antennas and splitter of course. When they don't come with nav, the antenna harnessing is a bit different and would need to be modified just to add the splitter which is not present in this configuration (and its not cheap itself). Easier and less expensive to just drop in a new gps antenna and call it good.

Well, when the trucks come from the factory with nav, we found that they have all the necessary antennas and splitter of course. When they don't come with nav, the antenna harnessing is a bit different and would need to be modified just to add the splitter which is not present in this configuration (and its not cheap itself). Easier and less expensive to just drop in a new gps antenna and call it good.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the stock GPS (Onstar) antenna was in the sharkfin on the roof.

A sub-dash mounted GPS antenna is going to have an inferior view of the sky and I'm concerned about reception in marginal areas (wooded, cities, etc.)

Have you been able to quantify the difference in signal strength between the factory antenna (taking into account a certain dB signal loss due to the passive splitter) and the secondary antenna being in what's possibly a sub-optimal mounting location?

The shark fin is the gps antenna. But the necessary splitter is just not there. We have never ever had a problem with under dash mounted gps antennas on GM vehicles when installing oem nav systems. So far, all the '14 vehicles we have done are working well also.

The shark fin is the gps antenna. But the necessary splitter is just not there. We have never ever had a problem with under dash mounted gps antennas on GM vehicles when installing oem nav systems. So far, all the '14 vehicles we have done are working well also.

Good to know, thanks.

Hello All,

Lots of great info here, thanks everyone, especially kodiakz!

I just bought a 2013 Cruze with MyLink but sadly there is no navigation. I would really love to have the OEM navigation added.

I'm gathering information from previous posts, here are the steps that I have outlined. Are these correct? Any additions/corrections?

Steps to add OEM GPS to 2013 Cruze:

1. Purchase (23427513) F-MODULE. This is also known as the HMI module. These units are vin specific, and burn the vin of the first vehicle they are powered up in.

> Is "preprogramming" needed, or not? I'm not clear on this...

2. Purchase GPS antenna -

> any recommendations on which one? Where does this plug into?

3. Remove the lower glove box (do this by removing 4 torx 15 screws)

4. Unplug and release the old "F-MODULE" (simply push up retainer clip and pull out).

>Will it be obvious what the F-Module is once I remove the glove box?

5. Plug in new "F-MODULE" and connect GPS

6. Mount the GPS under the dash cowling by windshield

7. Put lower glove box back in place, cleanup

8. Enjoy OEM Navigation!

Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Joe

Just for reference, I believe the previous GM trucks had the gps antenna mounted up under the dash from the factory, not tied into the sharkfin. Mine seems to work fine even under trees etc.

Hello All,

Lots of great info here, thanks everyone, especially kodiakz!

I just bought a 2013 Cruze with MyLink but sadly there is no navigation. I would really love to have the OEM navigation added.

I'm gathering information from previous posts, here are the steps that I have outlined. Are these correct? Any additions/corrections?

Steps to add OEM GPS to 2013 Cruze:

1. Purchase (23427513) F-MODULE. This is also known as the HMI module. These units are vin specific, and burn the vin of the first vehicle they are powered up in.

> Is "preprogramming" needed, or not? I'm not clear on this...

2. Purchase GPS antenna -

> any recommendations on which one? Where does this plug into?

3. Remove the lower glove box (do this by removing 4 torx 15 screws)

4. Unplug and release the old "F-MODULE" (simply push up retainer clip and pull out).

>Will it be obvious what the F-Module is once I remove the glove box?

5. Plug in new "F-MODULE" and connect GPS

6. Mount the GPS under the dash cowling by windshield

7. Put lower glove box back in place, cleanup

8. Enjoy OEM Navigation!

Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Joe

There is more to it than that. I also have a 2013 Cruze with MyLink but no Nav. The buttons are different so you will need to purchase the OEM button panel that comes with the Nav (you may be able to find them on ebay).

Go over to http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/ and search the forums for more info.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the stock GPS (Onstar) antenna was in the sharkfin on the roof.

A sub-dash mounted GPS antenna is going to have an inferior view of the sky and I'm concerned about reception in marginal areas (wooded, cities, etc.)

Have you been able to quantify the difference in signal strength between the factory antenna (taking into account a certain dB signal loss due to the passive splitter) and the secondary antenna being in what's possibly a sub-optimal mounting location?

many factory nav systems have their antenna under the dash. For example a few years back I installed a factory nav system in my CTS from a wreck, I had yo take out most of the dash to install the antenna, the worst part was getting a dealer to delete the VIN from the display so it would allow the car to start. Found a couple dealer that I didn't even consider when buying my '14

There is more to it than that. I also have a 2013 Cruze with MyLink but no Nav. The buttons are different so you will need to purchase the OEM button panel that comes with the Nav (you may be able to find them on ebay).

Go over to http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/ and search the forums for more info.

Actually, totally different systems in Cruze v new Silverado/Sierra. Although both are Mylink, the similarities end there. Cruze still uses ACM (audio control module) that is am/fm/xm nav built in silver box type with a separate screen. Silverado uses new HMI module for gps/video interface and another module that is am/fm/xm radio controls. very different systems altogether.

Just found out today that the traffic in the NAV is managed by XM! Couldn't see traffic in the map so I went to Menu>Traffic and it said that my XM trail period has ended!

Kinda disappointing that I have to pay XM for traffic!

Those after market gps's use to connect to your phone data plan via Bluetooth to get traffic info, wish intellilink could do that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived