18" vs 20" Rims

I drove identical trucks with only the rim sizes being different before I bought mine. One was red with 20's and the other was black with the 18's. I really didn't notice much of a difference with the ride, I just went with the black one because.....well it was black haha. The 20's were a 920 dollar option as well so I figured I would save that and put it towards some denali 22' hybrid wheels (best rim ever). Seeing how 20's have become so popular on trucks and cars the price difference really isn't that much different. As long as you stick to a 24 and down rim, tires are pretty cheap. It all just comes down to what you want and need on your truck.

I can give you a pretty well educated answer since I drove a 2014 SLT on polished 18"s for 5,200 miles and then swapped it on a 2014 All Terrain on 20"s. IMO - the ride is a little cushier w/ the 18"s, but that could also have something to do (or maybe everything to do) w/ the firmer suspension setup on the AT. The 20"s will give you better handling characteristics due to the shorter sidewall (and I do notice the AT handles better - but again, the suspension), but technically you're going to be better setup for off-roading and towing w/ an 18" rim due to the fatter tire, it all comes down to what you expect out of the truck.

That being said, in truth, the 20" seems to be the better overally choice for a 1/2 ton pickup - it simply "looks right" IMO since the wheel wells have gotten so large, and there's still plenty of sidewall in the tire. The 22" rims is where you'll notice ride really suffering and towing ability compromised.

Personally I think larger rims are just part of a bling over substance increasingly urban truck driver mentality and manufacturers who exploit that market for increased profits and reduced vehicle capability in the light-duty market.

Yes I can see a certain aesthetic appeal of larger wheels and tires. Maybe also a tiny improvement on the skidpad (because racetruck eh).

But that is about as far as the advantages go. In return as tires and wheels get larger and heavier you get poorer acceleration and fuel economy. And not just a little bit worse, significantly worse. Short and stiff sidewalls mean less ride comfort. Far more susceptible to road hazard damage. That would be the last thing I desire in a truck that is going to be used as a truck. Grip, braking performance, ride comfort, and steering feel all suffer from the additional unsprung weight - and unsprung weight is the worst kind of weight. You don't see performance cars with huge heavy wheels on them now do you? And I haven't even mentioned the added upfront cost. And it's a cost that keeps on adding with every tire replacement and every fuel fill.

I don't know where you're getting weight increase of 20's as compared to 18's... There's going to be material there no matter the rim size, and the weight difference is too small for it to change anything. Do the math and look at the energy required to spin them up to 60 mph. Then do the math and look at the energy required to accelerate a 6000 lb vehicle to 60. What's required to get the wheels themselves turning is so small it's negligible. That being said, my truck had factory 20's on it and they were swapped to 17's before it came home.

Edited by kstruckcountry

I don't know where you're getting weight increase of 20's as compared to 18's... There's going to be material there no matter the rim size, and the weight difference is too small for it to change anything. Do the math and look at the energy required to spin them up to 60 mph. Then do the math and look at the energy required to accelerate a 6000 lb vehicle to 60. What's required to get the wheels themselves turning is so small it's negligible. That being said, my truck had factory 20's on it and they were swapped to 17's before it came home.

I agree. 17,18,20, doesn't really matter, the amount of meat wrapped around it is going to play a bigger role in loss of mpg and acceleration IMO.

I can give you a pretty well educated answer since I drove a 2014 SLT on polished 18"s for 5,200 miles and then swapped it on a 2014 All Terrain on 20"s. IMO - the ride is a little cushier w/ the 18"s, but that could also have something to do (or maybe everything to do) w/ the firmer suspension setup on the AT. The 20"s will give you better handling characteristics due to the shorter sidewall (and I do notice the AT handles better - but again, the suspension), but technically you're going to be better setup for off-roading and towing w/ an 18" rim due to the fatter tire, it all comes down to what you expect out of the truck.

That being said, in truth, the 20" seems to be the better overally choice for a 1/2 ton pickup - it simply "looks right" IMO since the wheel wells have gotten so large, and there's still plenty of sidewall in the tire. The 22" rims is where you'll notice ride really suffering and towing ability compromised.

I have the factory 22's and I have ahd multiple people who have ridden in it comment on how it's one of the best riding trucks they've ever rode in. The tires that come on them are truck tires. Granted they aren't made for heavy towing but if I wanted to tow 12,000 pounds I would have gotten a 3/4 ton...

drove a

very true

drove a bunch of 2500's that had 18's before i purchased mine which has 20's and noticed no difference in ride

The ride difference is negligible and I doubt anyone's ass is sensitive enough to tell the difference. If larger wheels caused such a decrease in ride quality then why would a luxury vehicle, like an escalade, come with 22s? As far as the capability argument I call BS. Like parks mentioned, it's all relative anyway when talking about sidewall...I got plenty of it despite my "ghetto" wheels. A truck with 20s and 33s can do the exact same things as a truck with 17s and 33s. The only downside to larger wheels in an Offroad situation would probably be rock crawling. Small wheels and white letters out should stay in the 90s.

Aside from looks are there any advantages to going with one verse the other?

Is one better for towing?

Does one provide a better ride?

Does one have better handling?

Anything else that should go into this decision aside from cost and looks?

Do you have a 1500 or 2500? Looking for a P or LT tire? Based on the tire you "need"- P or LT rated, I would then look at tires in each rim size to see what is available to decide what rim size to go with! What type of towing, light or heavy? Not sure if there would be a noticeable difference in towing if comparing the same tire in a 18" or 20" rim size.

Now, for our 1500 we had, I did find a fair amount of LT tire choices in at least a load range C for the factory 18" rims, but never looked for 20" replacements. These were tire sizes that would fit a stock Z71 4x4, no level/lift kit.

The one advantage I have noticed in looking for replacement tires for our new '13 2500HD, the larger the rim size, the less the available tire choices. Just trying to locate an A/T tire for the beast, but the factory 20" (bought off lot-should have traded down) rims are making it very difficult in the 2 tires I like, the Cooper A/T3's and BFG A/T's, let alone something similar! For this reason I am seriously considering stepping down to an aftermarket 17" rim.

Bringtherain, your factory tires, are they a P or LT tire? I haven't found to many times when a factory tire is an LT on a 1500, though being a '14 it could be an all new learning experience since it is an all new model! Lol

Chris

Edited by BlueZ71CC