AFM recall

Thanks for posting a snapshot of your invoice. I called the dealership again today and they have absolutely nothing indicating that my truck needs to be updated for this service bulletin. Mine was built August 22nd and I took delivery September 29th. After speaking to the service manager, this is something they will only know IF they plug into your system. This is not an ACTIVE recall. Personally I believe this is something that should be an active recall.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called and it was vin verified.. I will say the v4 to v8 is much much better... And my mpg picked up some.. zyhumube.jpgLook at my mpg thread and you can see the difference. First gear to second doesn't feel as jerky either

hu2y5ymu.jpg

The above thread is exactly opposite of what I'm experiencing since having the AFM update done. First off when I pulled out of the dealer parking lot the truck wouldn't shit up, I looked to make sure I wasn't in manual and I wasn't. I was going to turn around and go back to the dealer but before I had a place to turn around it started shifting normal. Since then I have noticed the slower driving in town shift have been much harder at times and seem to come from nowhere at times to, like left of the gas and be costing and get a hard down shift. Also my mpg are down, at the time of the reprogram I had a 1/2 tank of gas and right now I'm sitting at 17.8 and will be getting gas on my way to work tomorrow so only 1/2 the tank is since the update and I'm down 1.2 mpg (typically get 19 on the same drive from home to work) . Feel free to look at my fuelly log after I get gas tomorrow morning.

Something to note is that because they did re-flash the TCM and ECM it is likely the transmission will need to re-learn your driving habits again as it is controlled by the TCM. I went through this a few times on my 2011 F150 eco-bust.

I am going to have mine done on wed when they replace my front seat. I will let you guys know.

Also, they did not have to hook up to the truck with the computer, they simply looked up the VIN and it was there. Seems your dealer may be giving you the run around, or it isn't an issue with your VIN, which would be a good thing!!

I called the dealer I purchased my Sierra from this morning. Spoke to the service department desk. They ran the VIN and said there was nothing indicating a needed update for the AFM?

I wish there was more information regarding this.

Hey CloserHawk,

I see you have visited the dealer regarding this issue. There are certain service announcements and recalls that are VIN specific depending on build date or features on the vehicle. Are you currently experiencing issues with your Sierra?

Jonathan A. (Assisting Jennifer)

GM Customer Care

Hey CloserHawk,

I see you have visited the dealer regarding this issue. There are certain service announcements and recalls that are VIN specific depending on build date or features on the vehicle. Are you currently experiencing issues with your Sierra?

Jonathan A. (Assisting Jennifer)

GM Customer Care

Hey Jonathan!

It's all good. Everything is fine. Thank you!

CLOSERHawk

Something to note is that because they did re-flash the TCM and ECM it is likely the transmission will need to re-learn your driving habits again as it is controlled by the TCM. I went through this a few times on my 2011 F150 eco-bust.

I am going to have mine done on wed when they replace my front seat. I will let you guys know.

Also, they did not have to hook up to the truck with the computer, they simply looked up the VIN and it was there. Seems your dealer may be giving you the run around, or it isn't an issue with your VIN, which would be a good thing!!

I thought that when you flashed the ECM, the TCM was unaffected. I may have this wrong but, it has been my experience over the last several years.

I can see the TCM having to learn based on different engine characteristic.

Mike

I thought that when you flashed the ECM, the TCM was unaffected. I may have this wrong but, it has been my experience over the last several years.

I can see the TCM having to learn based on different engine characteristic.

Mike

The repair order pictured above says both modules were reprogrammed.

Called my dealer today to see if there were any bulletins for my VIN number. My truck, build date 5/13, has a bulletin for it. Not exactly sure which one but will find out when I bring it in to have them fix my seat. The service guy told me that the BCM update had already been done along with a sensor replacement which I believe was the first airbag recall. I LOVE the way my truck shifts, rides and the gas mileage now, hope it doesn't affect any of this!!

Archived