AFM recall

Brought my truck in to the dealer yesterday for an oil change and have my moving seat bottom cushion looked at. They told me that there was a recall on the AFM that came out on 10/15. The recall had something to do with possible lifter damage. I will be watching my mpg very closely for a difference.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told it was a recall, they did a reprogram to it. When I went to pick up my truck they couldn't find my paper work and after looking for about 5 min they said to just take the truck because there was no charge because I have free oil changes for 2 years. I'm not sure why they couldn't just print a new copy?

Aww sh*t - man if I'm going to have to tear the cam outta this thing like on my G8 I'm going to be pissed. This is a truck not a sports car I don't want a lopey cam and converter in there I just want the damn thing to do what it is supposed to.

GOttta be kidding me that GM still can't get this stuff right. If it gives me a lick of trouble I'm swapping that stuff for real hardware - they make full DOD delete kits

Probably only a specific batch of vehicles

Ryan

Don't fool yourself- this problem has plagued any AFM equipped vehicles not just these new trucks. The lifters starve for oil, or they partially collapse and begin to wipe out lobes of the cam. Eventually they collapse entirely and can tear up the whole motor.

It is important they put the full 9 quarts or whatever is recommended in these trucks during an oil change, also important I think is running synthetic.

Some in the G8 crowd felt disabling the AFM early on helped because the lifters that get shut off in 4 cyl mode don't- so they don't be oil starved and hot

The recall is a calibration issue with the programming for the AFM system. 52,000 trucks involved.

These calibration errors can cause the hydraulic lifters to actuate at the wrong time, when the combustion chamber is under high pressure. If this occurs the
hydraulic lifter can be damaged and the affected cylinder will no longer operate. To correct this condition, dealers will reprogram these vehicles with a
new ECM and TCM calibration.

newdude..where did you get this information about the trucks involved and the actual details?

I was at the dealer today for them to replace my driver seat bracket and had them look into the recall for AFM. They said the recall is for the AFM and it is a calibration and my truck needed it, but would not give me any more information as to if I would not understand (despite my degrees in mechanical engineering) what the recall stated, hence me wondering where newdude got his seemingly reasonable information. Is it really only for 55,000 trucks and I just got that lucky?

Supposedly it can wait until they install my new seat bracket next week...but if my engine fails a cylinder in the mean time that is going to be crappy luck and I might have to let the service advisor really know how I feel about it.

Archived