Muffler Delete

I tried to get this done today at a local Midas, quoted me one hour of labor for $90.00, plus materials. Told them to go Expletive themselves. Went by a local shop and they will do it for $40. Got an appointment for Monday.

Mike

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the cutting and pipe fitting but my buddy is a portable welder so he brought over his pickup and done the welding in my garage. It's very easy to do, when you cut the muffler out you should cut the front as close to the muffler as possible because there is a weird bend there. As far as the rear cut, there is a hanger there so just cut it close to the rear of the muffler just like the front and you will be fine. The valve opens backwards if your wondering so your not going to hit it while cutting.

I tried to get this done today at a local Midas, quoted me one hour of labor for $90.00, plus materials. Told them to go Expletive themselves. Went by a local shop and they will do it for $40. Got an appointment for Monday.

Mike

That sounds about right, it will probably take him 20 or so minutes plus he has to weld so 40 is more than justified. Midas has always been one of the many kings that like to bend you over on pricing. I'm surprised they don't have a sign outside saying "free Vaseline".

That sounds about right, it will probably take him 20 or so minutes plus he has to weld so 40 is more than justified. Midas has always been one of the many kings that like to bend you over on pricing. I'm surprised they don't have a sign outside saying "free Vaseline".

Yeah, their labor rate is stupid. I've used the shop I'm going to this morning on several occasions. I could do it myself, but I want the pipe fit to as close to perfect as possible.

Got this done today. Truck has a nice Mellow rumble at idle and sounds good when you get on it. No drone whatsoever.

Mike

Any chance you can put the muffler on a scale to get a weight?

Mike what did you do just remove muffler and weld a pipe in? Is the exhaust 3inch or 2.5? Thanks Cody Snap a pic and video

I'll do a video and shoot some pics tomorrow. I kept the resonator and the spring back flow thing. Not sure of the diameter, but I'll put a micrometer on it tomorrow. I think the replace piece was 3".

As an estimate, I'd say the muffler weighed 20#.

I'll do a video and shoot some pics tomorrow. I kept the resonator and the spring back flow thing. Not sure of the diameter, but I'll put a micrometer on it tomorrow. I think the replace piece was 3".

As an estimate, I'd say the muffler weighed 20#.

Good for you haha, I think once people realize how it sounds they will start doing this more and more. I weighed the muffler and it was 17lbs so you were almost right on, as far as pipe dia goes I used 2.75".

Good for you haha, I think once people realize how it sounds they will start doing this more and more. I weighed the muffler and it was 17lbs so you were almost right on, as far as pipe dia goes I used 2.75".

The pipe that replaced the muffler fits over the existing pipe, installer used a pipe larger than the original pipe and then expanded it. Best $40 I've spent so far.

Did mine today. Went ahead and got my guy to add an offset in the replacement pipe

20131022_142435.jpg

It's not as loud as I thought it would be but as stated in other posts a "nice mellow" sound

Very Happy!!! Thanks Sporty

Good to see more people are jumping on the band wagon. I thought I would be satisfied with this but I'm still wanting more ha ha. I'm going to cut the valve and the back muffler off as well and put a super 44 and a nice 3.5" rolled tip. Now that I have my diablo intune I have the afm disabled so I'm not worried about drone anymore. I went to the dealer yesterday to have my bcm updated and they said I need some sort of a muffler to keep warranty so I had to either leave the back resonator/muffler on or put my stock one back on and get rid of the rear one. I said I would just put a little race muffler on and cut everything else off and they laughed and said that was fine as long as they saw some form of a muffler. I'm doing my exhaust again on Friday so I will post another update after it's done. The muffler and the Magnaflow tip only cost 85 dollars so it's still way way cheaper than a bought cat back.

Thanks

Will

Archived