Fuel Tank Size - Crew Cab with 6.5 Bed?

Hey guys

Does Chevy increase the fuel tank capacity when you go with the 6.5 bed? I know Ford does and I am curious if Chevy is doing it as well? Regardless my truck is on order but just thought I would go ahead and ask out of curiosity. Thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

26 Gallons for all crew cab models. Only regular cab long box gets the 34 gallon tank. If you want a crew cab 6.5 box with more capacity, all 2500 models have 36 gallon tanks regardless of configuration.

Its no always an optoin to use some gas stations with a trailer in tow. I also wish we had larger tanks Ford got it right.

Some roadside stations are too small for a truck and 26 ft toy hauler. On my route tovgi camping after I leave town there arent any truck stops to pull in to

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

I can say that I love the 36 gallon on my F-150. It was one of those things I always wished for in my Sierras. There aren't any aftermarket options for half-ton Sierras that I could find either.

I don't know why you would want a larger tank, I have a 26 gallon tank in mine and I have gone over 800kms per tank on the last 2 tanks.

That's nearly 500 miles which is pretty impressive but I don't like running below 1/4 tank. Bad security practice. So I'd like the larger tank to have acceptable range and still have that reserve. Right now I can only do 300 or so miles before hitting 1/4 tank and that's if I take the truck off E85.

From 2014 OM:

1500 Series Standard and Short Box 98.4 L 26.0 gal

1500 Series Long Box 128.7 L 34.0 gal

2500 Series and 3500 Series Standard Box 136.3 L 36.0 gal

2500 Series and 3500 Series Long Box 136.3 L 36.0 gal

• 2 years later...

Has anyone heard whether you can switch up from the 98 litre to the 134 or 136 litre tank ? I would be prepared to buy one from a wrecking yard to get more range. I have a 2015 sierra crew with 6'7" box which, if I am not mistaken, is the same length as an extended cab long box meaning there should be the same length of space underneath. In fact I looked and there is almost 18" of wasted space in front of the existing 98 litre tank . Totally agree with MikeNH in that GM really missed the boat here.....with any load or trailering the range on the 98 litre tank is totally inadequate. And why give Ford that advantage ?

Archived