Fuel Tank Size - Crew Cab with 6.5 Bed?

I haven't looked into it on my 2015 yet but I would love to do it. I had an extended cab 2013 F150 before this truck with a 136 litre tank so this 98 litre bs again is annoying. If I had the larger tank I could stretch my fuel ups to once every 3 days instead of 2 days and avoid going out of my way to town that more often!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who are pissing and moaning about those of us who want bigger tanks.... Shutty! There is a reason we'd like a bigger tank. Towing! What's your MPG when towing 6500 lbs in the mountains of Idaho? 8-10 MPG's. That's 200-260 miles. With a 36 gallon tank you're looking at 290-360 miles. Hhhhhmmnnn.... Which tank (On a GM vehicle) would I want?

This is usually where I put some words to lighten the mood

Agreed on loving the optional 36 gallon fuel tank on the F-150, wish the GM trucks would get the same.

I was very happy when I found out the '11+ HD trucks got a 36 gallon tank regardless of configuration, those little fuel tanks don't allow you to get anywhere when pulling.

I have pulled trailers my entire life, I can't figure out where you big dogs pulling these "huge" trailers are fueling up at that there big rigs can't fit. Guessing these are the same guys that can't back a trailer up...

I'm glad i only have a 26g tank personally and i tow a 6k tt. I have no issues and only tow 8 or so times per year. The balance of time I'm just daily driving it so I'd rather not toat around all that extra fuel. Just my preference.

We pull a 28' Starcraft Travel Trailer (5,900 lbs.) with my wife's CC w/26 gallon tank. We traveled from central Texas to Flagstaff, Az. recently and I would start looking for fuel when the tank showed 1/2, since range showed 260 miles when full.

Some of you guys from those smaller Northeastern states need to travel West Texas, N.M. and Az. Before you give folks a hard time about the small fuel tank.

OTOH, If I pull our trailer with my RCLB then I have the 34 gallon tank.

I'm glad i only have a 26g tank personally and i tow a 6k tt. I have no issues and only tow 8 or so times per year. The balance of time I'm just daily driving it so I'd rather not toat around all that extra fuel. Just my preference.

Normally I'd say you have a good point but it would only be an extra 60 lbs. But as you said.... that is your preference. And I ain't faulting anybody who owns a GM product.

We pull a 28' Starcraft Travel Trailer (5,900 lbs.) with my wife's CC w/26 gallon tank. We traveled from central Texas to Flagstaff, Az. recently and I would start looking for fuel when the tank showed 1/2, since range showed 260 miles when full.

Some of you guys from those smaller Northeastern states need to travel West Texas, N.M. and Az. Before you give folks a hard time about the small fuel tank.

OTOH, If I pull our trailer with my RCLB then I have the 34 gallon tank.

haha aint that the truth! i have driven through west Texas from Houston on I-10 and once you pass Junction you better have a full tank because there aint nothing out there. just miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of nothing... very few gas station and even fewer gas stations that fall under the tier III gas category that GM recommends that you use.

I also would love to have a 34 - 36 gallon fuel tank. I dont tow that much but only getting 290 - 310 per tank (~19 gallons to fill up) really sucks.

That's nearly 500 miles which is pretty impressive but I don't like running below 1/4 tank. Bad security practice. So I'd like the larger tank to have acceptable range and still have that reserve. Right now I can only do 300 or so miles before hitting 1/4 tank and that's if I take the truck off E85.

I don't think any vehicle should ever go below 1/4 tank to keep some fuel around the fuel pump. If you constantly run it dry you are going to have an expensive repair.

I don't think any vehicle should ever go below 1/4 tank to keep some fuel around the fuel pump. If you constantly run it dry you are going to have an expensive repair.

I don't go below a quarter tank, I already said that and I sure as hell would never be so foolish as to get to a point where I might totally run out. Running low on gas won't overheat the pump, that's a myth. But running low on fuel is poor personal security. I don't ever want to be on empty only to find some disaster, natural or otherwise has compromised the fuel infrastructure and I'm unable to get out of dodge.

I don't go below a quarter tank, I already said that and I sure as hell would never be so foolish as to get to a point where I might totally run out. Running low on gas won't overheat the pump, that's a myth. But running low on fuel is poor personal security. I don't ever want to be on empty only to find some disaster, natural or otherwise has compromised the fuel infrastructure and I'm unable to get out of dodge.

Fuel pumps rely on the gasoline as a coolant. If you run your tank to dry every time, it will shorten the life if your fuel pump. I've seen it happen. It's not going to overheat and kill it right away. But heat is the enemy of all components.

Are we talking about the same thing? Obviously running totally dry is bad but I seriously doubt this regularly happens more than once to most people. But I'm talking about people who run well past E on the gauge, but not running out. It's a foolish practice but it won't hurt the pump. As long as fuel runs though the pump, there is no issue.

I won't be towing long ranges like the Texas guys so the 26 gal tank is fine for me. I do think GM should have offer a larger tank for those that want it.

I wish I could get my wife to not let the tank get below 1/4. I cringe every time I see the needle almost on the E after she has drive a vehicle.

I just filled up from empty, 22 gallons. Why is that? Not the 26 gallons I thought I had. 2016 1500 double cab standard bed.

I've noticed the fuel gauge on my truck reaches empty when I still have a good 4-5 gallons left. Closest I've been to 26 is when I couldn't for the life of me find an open gas station, and my range screen on the DIC showed "LOW". Filled up 24.5 gallons.

Archived