Fuel Tank Size - Crew Cab with 6.5 Bed?

I'm good with my smaller fuel tank, as don't tow much at this time, and I have a 5 gallon gas can I can bring with me for long hauls.

However, I still like the old-school idea of a truck having the room to allow the owner to install a 2nd fuel tank.

Hopefully GM builds all the Max Tow trucks with larger fuel tanks.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most I've put in is 24.6 gallons.

I'm good with my smaller fuel tank, as don't tow much at this time, and I have a 5 gallon gas can I can bring with me for long hauls.

However, I still like the old-school idea of a truck having the room to allow the owner to install a 2nd fuel tank.

Hopefully GM builds all the Max Tow trucks with larger fuel tanks.

So far, max tow has the same 26 gallon..

I just filled up from empty, 22 gallons. Why is that? Not the 26 gallons I thought I had. 2016 1500 double cab standard bed.

Did you run it dry and it still took 22?

If so, the fuel pickup must be higher in the tank than it's supposed to be.

A larger fuel tank would be a nice option. However, once you get old your bladder needs emptying more often than your truck requires a fill up, especially when the wife is with me.

Could be worse my 73 had a 20 gallon tank and we used to tow a 31' Airstream with it. 350 4 barrel carb through the lower Appalachians. Our 2500s and 2500hds had the 26 gallon. It sucks but we were stopping every hour to two hours for grandma's bladder anyway so we made it work. Good to know the HDs got the bigger tank regardless of bed size.

I agree with jraschke11, the fuel does cool the pump so I have never run the tank low. The last time I put in a fuel pump was on my 93 Silverado, the dealer parts counter people were surprised how many miles I had on the original fuel pump(I don't remember the miles).

The head service tech was within ear shot and made the comment "you don't run your tank low on fuel do you?"

Fuel cools the pump but more important IMO it lubricates it keeping the temps down that equates to less wear.

That fuel pump in my 93 is still going with 243k miles on the truck.

Did you run it dry and it still took 22?

If so, the fuel pickup must be higher in the tank than it's supposed to be.

It said I had about 51 miles left. The fuel indicator came on right when I filled it up.

51 miles is about 3 gallons so 22 makes sense. Most fuel indicators I have seen trip at about 50 miles. In addition to the fuel pump lube/cooling issues, running any fuel injection system dry is a problem, but even more so for a high pressure DI one.

Archived