Fuel Tank Size - Crew Cab with 6.5 Bed?

The only thing I hated with my old 2009 was the tiny fuel tank. I never came close to achieving the mileage some of you claim- the best I have ever had was 14mpg. I would fill up every 2 days, never mind when towing a small trailer and boat. Some of us use our trucks like trucks, and 10 days in the deep bush 80 miles from the nearest fuel station means that I need to pack a heck of a lot of jerry cans.When I made up my mind to get a new GMC, the first thing I checked was if I could get a second fuel tank.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I hated with my old 2009 was the tiny fuel tank. I never came close to achieving the mileage some of you claim- the best I have ever had was 14mpg. I would fill up every 2 days, never mind when towing a small trailer and boat. Some of us use our trucks like trucks, and 10 days in the deep bush 80 miles from the nearest fuel station means that I need to pack a heck of a lot of jerry cans.When I made up my mind to get a new GMC, the first thing I checked was if I could get a second fuel tank.

You're one of those that need a big tank then. But, I also use my truck as a truck all the time, I just live in a decent size town and even though there's plenty of country around there's still not a lack of gas stations. The thing is that a majority of the people that just want a bigger tank wants it just so they don't have to stop and fill up as often (with no lack of gas stations, just don't want to stop as often) which too me is sort of a lazy reason to be honest. But, I do understand there's people with situations where an extra 10 gallons or so makes a huge difference because of where they live or what they do.

FWIW, the current 2500's (6.5ft and 8ft versions) all have 36 gallon /136 litre tanks.

1500 8ft has 34 gal/129 litre.

1500 6.5 and 5.8 have 26 gal/98 litre.

If it's really an issue, it could be another reason to consider a 2500.

(I miss the 36 gallon tank, but needs have changed and I now prefer to drive a 1/2 ton)

FWIW, the current 2500's (6.5ft and 8ft versions) all have 36 gallon /136 litre tanks.

1500 8ft has 34 gal/129 litre.

1500 6.5 and 5.8 have 26 gal/98 litre.

If it's really an issue, it could be another reason to consider a 2500.

(I miss the 36 gallon tank, but needs have changed and I now prefer to drive a 1/2 ton)

I don't even have justification for a 1500, nevermind a 2500. :lol:

I'm hoping to get back in a pickup regardless next year and while the bigger tank would be nice, it isn't a deal breaker. But I will be looking at all the different options. So we'll see who wins.

I stopped by my local dealership last night to get an eye-on of the 34 gallon tank on the 8ft bed and the 26 gallon tank on the 6.5ft bed. I don't think they will interchange because the rear axle is farther back on the 8ft bed versus the 6.5ft bed. Darn it, now that I think about it, I should have looked at the 2500's 36 gallon tank...

Need a little memory help. Looking for an in bed fuel transfer tank. Just the tank as I'm going cross country with my travel trailer. I remember reading about one that sat in the bed in the left inside fender well. Cannot find it to save my a** now. I might have to have one made but this was perfect for the job. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

This becomes an issue towing. If you're getting 8-10 MPG towing, you're looking at about 300 miles of range. If you don't like running to empty, though, you'll fill up a little earlier.

This can lead to a bad day if you're in a rural or remote part of the country; if you're in an urban or more built up area, it just means more opportunities to practice trailering in tight city gas stations.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865586821/No-bull-no-service-for-106-miles.html?pg=all

Towing range is more like 200 - 225 than it is to 300.

At 9 mpg x 24 gal = 216 miles, with only about a 15 mile (or 2 gal) buffer.

I'd order the 2500 size if it was available.

I agree, it never hurts to have a bigger tank. Most of the new F150s are equipped with the 36 gallon tank around here. I was looking around the local ford dealer last Sunday just wasting time and it looks like the standard tank is only 22 gallons. Anyways big tank or small tank, the other thing I noticed around here is many of the gas stations limit their fuel pumps to cap at 30 gallons....pretty ridiculous; especially when you pre pay at the pump. That would get on my nerves filling up a 36 gallon tank.

I agree, it never hurts to have a bigger tank. Most of the new F150s are equipped with the 36 gallon tank around here. I was looking around the local ford dealer last Sunday just wasting time and it looks like the standard tank is only 22 gallons. Anyways big tank or small tank, the other thing I noticed around here is many of the gas stations limit their fuel pumps to cap at 30 gallons....pretty ridiculous; especially when you pre pay at the pump. That would get on my nerves filling up a 36 gallon tank.

I hated when gas prices were around $4, or more, a gallon most stations here had a $75 limit. Drove me nuts having to redo everything for $5-$10 each time.

Has anyone setup a gas truck with an autofill auxiliary tank? All of the aftermarket people I have talked to (Titan, Transfer Flow etc) say their st-ups are only for diesels.

My grandparents put an auxiliary tank back in the 70s on my '73 c10. However I don't think that helps you any. Well unless you're near Orlando and want to see if that tank will fit on your truck. From what I remember them telling me they had it in the bed under a bed tool box.

• 1 month later...

I read a thread on here a while back about a member who added an aux fuel tank in his bed. It threw codes because it kept his gas tank reading full for many miles. The BCM thought that his fuel gauge/sending unit was bad.

Just something to consider. You probably need a unit that will transfer fuel on command via a switch, not continuously.

Archived