Oil filters

I have heard of not only GM but Ford try to cancel warranty because my neighbor used Fram filters on his 2013 F150 ecojunk. His motor took a dump with 17000 kms on it and the dealer tried to deny warranty because they couldn't prove when he did the oil change and he was using a "well known" filter for letting filter media escape into the engine. It's been almost a month and a half and they still haven't fixed his truck.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just FYI most auto parts stores and even the AC Delco website don't have the updated info for the 2014 trucks yet. I went to my dealership and ordered two filters and they are the AC Delco PF63

• 3 weeks later...

Oil Filter with Incorrect Label

Some early 2014 Corvette 6 .2L engines (RPO LT1) may have an oil filter that has an incorrect label on the can . The filter is correct, only the label is wrong .

The incorrect

label says to

replace the oil

filter with a PF63 filter . The correct service part is a PF64 filter, part number 12640445 . Replacement of the filter for the incorrect label is not necessary .

When it is time for an engine oil and filter change, be sure to replace the OE filter with the correct PF64 filter .

TIP: The PF63 filter will fit the engine . However, it is significantly longer and it is pos- sible it could be damaged if the suspension goes to full compression .

Thanks to Richard Renshaw

I had a toyota pick up back in the '80's Changed my oil every 3000 miles my self. Kept all the receipts. The motor blew up,it was determined a bad piston rod was the cause by an arbitration mechanic. At 22,000 miles Toyota would not cover it because I could not prove the changes actually happened. Even though there was no other signs of abuse or neglect on the engine internals. So now I spend the money for the dealer or other place that can document the work. Cost me $2700 for the new motor

Oil Filter with Incorrect Label

Some early 2014 Corvette 6 .2L engines (RPO LT1) may have an oil filter that has an incorrect label on the can . The filter is correct, only the label is wrong .

The incorrect

label says to

replace the oil

filter with a PF63 filter . The correct service part is a PF64 fi

lter, part number 12640445 . Replacement of the filter for the incorrect label is not necessary .

When it is time for an engine oil and filter change, be sure to replace the OE filter with the correct PF64 filter .

TIP: The PF63 filter will fit the engine . However, it is significantly longer and it is pos- sible it could be damaged if the suspension goes to full compression .

Thanks to Richard Renshaw

Are you sure this applies to our trucks? I cannot imagine the ground clearance for the oil filter is going to be an issue on a truck, whereas it is very relevant on a Corvette

I keep accurate record of changes and I've always kept every receipt. I can at least prove that I purchased the oil and filter at some point prior to when I'm claiming I changed it. Now if they want to say I was just buying stuff that I never used I guess they can, but that's a ridiculous claim. And I'm sure they can tell when the Oil Life Indicator was reset, which I plan to do at each change. It would be difficult to try to say that it was all faked by me.

As to oil filters - I've used Fram filters exclusively on all of my vehicles for quite awhile. Maybe I got lucky, but one of the simple advantages of Fram is that it has a sandpaper type grit area on the end that allows you to install it and remove it by hand without any filter wrenches.

I'll have to do a little more research on oil filters though. But I did make it a point to check with Honda for my wife's vehicle, and they said it would in no way violate the warranty if I used a filter other than Honda's.

I do plan on trusting my dealer for the first 24 months, but I'd never trust anyplace else (like Jiffy Lube).

I have heard of not only GM but Ford try to cancel warranty because my neighbor used Fram filters on his 2013 F150 ecojunk. His motor took a dump with 17000 kms on it and the dealer tried to deny warranty because they couldn't prove when he did the oil change and he was using a "well known" filter for letting filter media escape into the engine. It's been almost a month and a half and they still haven't fixed his truck.

What "well known filter" are you referring to?

I had a toyota pick up back in the '80's Changed my oil every 3000 miles my self. Kept all the receipts. The motor blew up,it was determined a bad piston rod was the cause by an arbitration mechanic. At 22,000 miles Toyota would not cover it because I could not prove the changes actually happened. Even though there was no other signs of abuse or neglect on the engine internals. So now I spend the money for the dealer or other place that can document the work. Cost me $2700 for the new motor

I take photos when I do mine.

Ryan

I was using M-! oil filters but switched back to OEM. Because on one trip for oil change, I saw a torn down 5.3 in an SLT. The engine had failed due to oil starvation in some area due to oil filter media in the engine. It was a non-oem filter and they were waiting on GM to ok the repair. The discussion of warranty denial was part of the conversation.

So yes we know they will not dump your warranty for using fram or some other filter, BUT if engine does fail due to oil filter issue I would rather not have the conversation. Thus OEM oil filter and no conversations.

Now I'm wondering if there is possibly more danger of oil filter failure nowadays than there used to. Used to change oil and filter at 3,000 miles. Now you can go upwards of 7,500 miles (or more?).

I've always changed it at 3,000 miles until my wife's 2010 Honda CRV with synthetic oil and I change it at 5,000 miles. Possibly some filters can't go that long without material breakdown?

I was using M-! oil filters but switched back to OEM. Because on one trip for oil change, I saw a torn down 5.3 in an SLT. The engine had failed due to oil starvation in some area due to oil filter media in the engine. It was a non-oem filter and they were waiting on GM to ok the repair. The discussion of warranty denial was part of the conversation.

So yes we know they will not dump your warranty for using fram or some other filter, BUT if engine does fail due to oil filter issue I would rather not have the conversation. Thus OEM oil filter and no conversations.

Yes, I think I'm beginning to agree if spending more for an OEM filter from the Chevy parts department might be a good idea. Wonder how much more they cost? (Probably not as much as a new engine lol)

You are always better off using GM Delco filter. Here is why. Supposing the filter somehow splits open, dumps the oil and ruins your engine. If it is a GM made filter they will most likely pay for a new engine even if the vehicle is out of warranty since it is the GM part that caused the failure. If some other make filter causes it, good luck fighting with the filter manufacturer to buy you a new engine.

Archived