Finally got my 2014 GMC Denali with the 6.2L - Anybody else?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES, I finally got my 6.2 Denali on Thursday. Ordered it on Sept. 19, built on Oct. 18, shipped on Oct. 25th, and received on Nov. 7th. However, as most folks on here know, I had ordered the 22" SEY wheels and they have not come yet! The day before my truck arrived the dealership called to tell me the wheels would be two more weeks. They further stated they could not release the truck without the wheels because the wheels ("steelies") the truck was shipped with were for shipping purposes only. I immediately hung up the phone and drove down to the dealership and met with the sales manager and the new vehicle order manager. After a long discussion, they said they would loan me a set of 22" chrome wheels the Parts Department had mounted and balanced on display. They did that and that's what I am riding on now. I must admit, they are a pretty decent wheel also.

My Denali is Sonoma Red and has every option available except sun roof and 4 wheel drive. I personally have no use for either one. Since driving it off the lot at 3:00PM on Thursday, I have been pretty busy adding accessories and mods. I have tinted the windows, hard wired my Valentine, installed an Undercover SE painted bed cover and bed rug. I have also installed the under seat storage unit, and had the exhaust modifed. I installed a 22" Magnaflow, single in, dual outlet, with custom pipes coming straight back with 22" of 4" chrome at the ends.

At this point I have onlydriven it apporximately 35 miles, and most of that was in rush hour traffic, so I can't tell you much about performance yet. I can definitely say the AFM is far more noticeable and a bigger pain in the butt than it was on my 2012 Silverado 5.3. I had that truck tuned and AFM turned off shortly after I bought it. I will do the same with the Denali as soon as the tuner gets software necessary for the new 6.2. However, when you put your foot in it, it definitely feels like a 6.2!

I was disappointed a little with the change in exhaust note after the mods. You still can barely hear it at idle. Hell, my wife's 2010 Escalade with the 6.2 sounded like an old '55 Chevy with a big block and duals...at idle. The exhaust guys said it is because of all the catalytic converters (3) in the system. By the way, I did elimate the resonator and the valve in the exhause system. The exhaust guys said it would start rattling after you drove a while.They basically cut the exhaust system off in front of the factory muffler and built it new from there back.

Every where I go, they spend 30 minutes looking and asking questions about it before they start working on it. Everyone is especially amazed at the reconfigurable instrument cluster. I must admit, it is rather amazing. Hell, it will take me 6 months to get familiar with half of the total capabilities of the infotainment and computer systems. So far, everything seems to work as advertised, even the sliding rear window. I have an appointment next Thursday to get the 2 inch Rough Country leveling kit installed.

The bottom line here is...I love my Denali, and I guess it gives credence to the old addage..."Good things are worth waiting for"! That's my story and I'm sitcking to it!

Can you describe how you hardwired the Valentine 1? Tap into Homelink or something else?

I have also noticed that I think my exhaust valve is flapping at times

At this point I have onlydriven it apporximately 35 miles, and most of that was in rush hour traffic, so I can't tell you much about performance yet. I can definitely say the AFM is far more noticeable and a bigger pain in the butt than it was on my 2012 Silverado 5.3. I had that truck tuned and AFM turned off shortly after I bought it. I will do the same with the Denali as soon as the tuner gets software necessary for the new 6.2. However, when you put your foot in it, it definitely feels like a 6.2!

This is interesting. It's basically the opposite of what every other 2014 owner has said about the AFM. The AFM tuning is either different on the 6.2 vs. the 5.3, or you just forgot how awful the AFM was on the 2012.

Can you describe how you hardwired the Valentine 1? Tap into Homelink or something else?

I have also noticed that I think my exhaust valve is flapping at times

I ran the wire down the A-Post and into the accessory panel above the left foot well. Yes, as I said my exhaust all but guaranteed me it would rattle before long.

I've used the Invisicord for both of my Valentines in various vehicles...works great! You can find them easily by searching online. They're inexpensive & easy to install.

This is interesting. It's basically the opposite of what every other 2014 owner has said about the AFM. The AFM tuning is either different on the 6.2 vs. the 5.3, or you just forgot how awful the AFM was on the 2012.

I may be stupid (ok don’t answer that ) but my 2011 GMC SLT 6.2 did not have AFM so i guessed all 6.2’s didn’t have it. So am i safe to guess the NEW(?) ones do or mine just didn’t or they added it after 2011? Sorry for the ignorant question!?!

Archived