Finally got my 2014 GMC Denali with the 6.2L - Anybody else?

True, I get your point - hard to tell with that much power. I would guess the difference is probably 5% or less, but there's a difference. I just don't mind paying a couple hundred a year to get the max performance out of a $50k+ truck.

I switch trucks every 2-2.5 years so I'm less concerned with the long term effects.

GM-Guy - BTW, I love those wheels. What offset or they and what tires are you running? Leveled? PM me if you get a chance. Thanks.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, I get your point - hard to tell with that much power. I would guess the difference is probably 5% or less, but there's a difference. I just don't mind paying a couple hundred a year to get the max performance out of a $50k+ truck.

I switch trucks every 2-2.5 years so I'm less concerned with the long term effects.

GM-Guy - BTW, I love those wheels. What offset or they and what tires are you running? Leveled? PM me if you get a chance. Thanks.

you make a good point as well. Regarding the wheels, thanks! Here is my post in the Wheels Section regarding them which should give some answers to your questions.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/157107-2014-sierra-denali-with-20-atx-teflon-wheels/

Remember the compression ratio is pretty high on the 6.2L. You can certainly use 87, but there will be a performance trade off as the CPU will compensate for the lower octane. How much will depend on a few factors, but I'm willing to spend $4-5 more per tank. ($250/yr maybe)

The 6.2 runs 11.5:1 compression.

When you put like that...why not.

Perspective is a wonderful thing ;-)

I thought the Denali came with air suspension? I really like the clusters on them but it's a disappointment that that's the only big difference. I personally think they should of came with dual exhaust, air suspension, and unique seats. Maybe a leather and alcantra mix with nice piping. Beautiful truck nonetheless and makes my SLE look pitiful inside haha. I'm still faster though ; )

I was doing quite a bit of number crunching on estimated gas mileage and costs per gallon. I drive about 13,000 miles a year and with 91 being about $0.25-0.30 more per gallon that is only $250 more a year or $20 a month. If I can afford a 50k truck, I should be able to afford $20.00. It's easy to look at the bottom line, but we can't overlook the POWER of that beast of 6.2.

Personally, if I do end up getting the 6.2 I doubt I could feel the difference between 87 and 91 octane. I bet most if not all wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I do plan on keeping this truck for 8+ years (I am going on 9 years for my 2005 GMC Sierra) so I may rotate and put 91 in it every other fill-up.

I was doing quite a bit of number crunching on estimated gas mileage and costs per gallon. I drive about 13,000 miles a year and with 91 being about $0.25-0.30 more per gallon that is only $250 more a year or $20 a month. If I can afford a 50k truck, I should be able to afford $20.00. It's easy to look at the bottom line, but we can't overlook the POWER of that beast of 6.2.

Personally, if I do end up getting the 6.2 I doubt I could feel the difference between 87 and 91 octane. I bet most if not all wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I do plan on keeping this truck for 8+ years (I am going on 9 years for my 2005 GMC Sierra) so I may rotate and put 91 in it every other fill-up.

Its .60 difference around here so about $500 a year if a person averages 16/17 mpg a year. 91 with 10% crappy ethanol is $4 a gallon right now and thats with the junk winter gas they have around here.

• 2 months later...

Where did you order from? I placed my order mid October (for a 2014 Denali 1500) from Dave Smith motors in Idaho (I live in Alaska) and I was told an 8 week lead time. Then I received a call in early December from my salesperson at DS stating that they made the 5.3L first and were JUST starting the 6.2L. Needless to say my truck did not arrive in Idaho until late February.... was I being lied to?!

Where did you order from? I placed my order mid October (for a 2014 Denali 1500) from Dave Smith motors in Idaho (I live in Alaska) and I was told an 8 week lead time. Then I received a call in early December from my salesperson at DS stating that they made the 5.3L first and were JUST starting the 6.2L. Needless to say my truck did not arrive in Idaho until late February.... was I being lied to?!

Depends on the frame of the question that was asked. They may have missed the boat on getting an order in on time for the intial 6.2L orders. I know shortly after I received mine (first 6.2L on the lot), others ordered the same day didn't come for months later. Only GM factories, workflow can truly answer the "why" question.

But for the most part 6.2L's starting showing up on lots early Nov '13 at the earliest. I, and some others on this forum were the first to get them at that time. And for whatever reason, others that did order similar times waiting months longer to get them. I think demand over took supply. So far the 6.2L has been a beast of an engine with no issues. This truck with the new 6.2L is funner to drive then my 2010 Camaro with its 6.2L. Thats saying something.

Archived