Seatbelt chime disable

sdowdy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually the 2014 doesn't start chiming until a few min... anway.. no way to turn it off... but you can buy dummy plastic seat belt clips on ebay for a few bucks. I have it...nice when I'm riding out in the woods and in and out of the truck a lot.

On the 900s you can click down the door latch in the door with your finger (two clicks). Makes the computer think the door is closed. do not forget to pull door handle before closing door. Ask me how I.......

Someone here said on the '14s the chime will stop after 2 mins??? It is a real pita in the pasture.

On my 2001, unplugging the connector to the seatbelt sensor caused the truck to think the seatbelt was always in place. May be a whole different ball game on a new truck but its worth a shot.

Yes I think there is something like this in the 900 trk thread. OP should search there. I do not think there is a way to bypass as OP is saying. We would all know by now if such was available. As this is a Fed thing, so no bypass other than disable. Hope I am wrong so we could easily bypass.

• 1 year later...
Between the seat and the center console, there is a little plug about 4" from the seat belt buckle that attaches to the outside seat frame. Starting at the lower front edge of the seat, slide your hand between the inner seat edge and the center console. You'll feel the plug on the outside of the seat frame. There is one little catch on the top of the plug (it's facing towards the roof) you can easily press. After you press that, gently pull and the female part of the harness slides to the front of the truck out of the male part of the plug (which is on the 4" cable of the buckle).

It took less than two minutes. There is nothing under the seat to undo! It's between the console and inner seat edge (where you always drop your phone down and never find it).

No more seat belt light at all!...of course, always wear your safety harness!

This picture might help:

ad6oqS2.jpg

only issue with that is when you DO want to use your seat belt ... you now screwed up the air bag systems, etc. Un hooking that plug does a lot more than quite the sound.

Get the dummy seat belt clips... then when you want to use your seat belt on the highway, etc, the air bags will work.

I never wear my seat belt... with that said, the chime sounds once after I get going (never paid attention to the time frame) and it never sounds again. Unless I see an officer on patrol and slip it on and then unbuckle it again while moving and it will chime when its unbuckled and again only chimes once alittle bit later. I've never unplugged anything.

I wouldn't unplug anything. The air bags WILL deploy even if the seat belt is not buckled. Luckily, I haven't had to check that as of right now in my 2014 but I can assure you with 100% certainty that one of my previous truck's air bags deployed while I was not wearing a seat belt and had a woman turn right in front of me and we had an awesome head on collision at 55 MPH.

only issue with that is when you DO want to use your seat belt ... you now screwed up the air bag systems, etc. Un hooking that plug does a lot more than quite the sound.

Get the dummy seat belt clips... then when you want to use your seat belt on the highway, etc, the air bags will work.

Good point. I have ordered a dummy buckle-extender, but it's taking forever to get here from China.

Wouldn't the truck think that the seatbelt is plugged in with the plug disconnected? If the switch is normally-closed when unbuckled, then the open-state of the buckle switch (when the buckle is plugged in) is what the truck would be seeing with the two wire plug disconnected. In other words, with the plug disconnected, the truck thinks that the seatbelt is plugged in based on this apparently-open-state.

The above assumes a simple open/close switch is used and not a digital logic switch (which could actually send buckled, unbuckled, disconnected, other, etc.). It's an easy check: jump the plug and if that closes the circuit, then the light should turn back on. (To be safe, I'd check resistance across the buckle plug first instead of the truck harness. I should get 0 ohms when unbuckled and then infinite resistance when buckled).

I've read on other forms that Ram trucks have a normally-open switch for unplugged and closed when plugged. To do the mod on those trucks, the plug is disconnected and then jumped. The jumped or close circuit then tells the computer that the belt is buckled. GM is conveniently backwards where open or unjumped is apparently buckled.

Archived