Seatbelt chime disable

sdowdy

Ah, I love these stupid threads - the ones that identify all the stupid people. This is just like all the helmet/no helmet arguments on the biker sites.

Yes, people should have a right to choose for themselves whether to be safe. But the problem is that it's public roads, and there are laws for a reason. Your ability to control your vehicle during an accident is impaired if you don't wear your seat belt. If you are thrown from the drivers position while your vehicle is still moving, how will you control it? When your "rights" start to impact other people, you lose some freedoms. Don't like it - don't drive on public roads.

Seriously? My ability to control my vehicle is impaired because I don't wear my seatbelt? I'd like to see the actual statistics on how many secondary accidents could have been prevented by the operator wearing their belt.

Instead of ensuring that 1/10 of .1% of accidents is taken care of, how about nailing the clowns that are gabbing on their cell phones without handsfree kits, changing lanes without blinkers, and have defective brake lights and turn signals to start with?

Seat belt laws are a joke, and there is NO similar argument that you can make for the wearing of a helmet on a motorcycle. Eye protection, yes. Helmet, no. And don't lump me in with the category of riders that refuses to wear a helmet - I totaled my bike back in May when I got hit and was wearing what I -always- wear: Everything. Head-to-toe gear.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously? My ability to control my vehicle is impaired because I don't wear my seatbelt? I'd like to see the actual statistics on how many secondary accidents could have been prevented by the operator wearing their belt.

Instead of ensuring that 1/10 of .1% of accidents is taken care of, how about nailing the clowns that are gabbing on their cell phones without handsfree kits, changing lanes without blinkers, and have defective brake lights and turn signals to start with?

Seat belt laws are a joke, and there is NO similar argument that you can make for the wearing of a helmet on a motorcycle. Eye protection, yes. Helmet, no. And don't lump me in with the category of riders that refuses to wear a helmet - I totaled my bike back in May when I got hit and was wearing what I -always- wear: Everything. Head-to-toe gear.

Hey, it's their "right" to not use their blinker and text while driving, right?

Ah, I love these stupid threads - the ones that identify all the stupid people. This is just like all the helmet/no helmet arguments on the biker sites.

Yes, people should have a right to choose for themselves whether to be safe. But the problem is that it's public roads, and there are laws for a reason. Your ability to control your vehicle during an accident is impaired if you don't wear your seat belt. If you are thrown from the drivers position while your vehicle is still moving, how will you control it? When your "rights" start to impact other people, you lose some freedoms. Don't like it - don't drive on public roads.

Herpin the derp. Keep it real, yo.

Hey, it's their "right" to not use their blinker and text while driving, right?

No. It isn't.

My wearing a seatbelt has no direct impact on anyone but myself. It should be my right to decide whether I wear it or not. My not using my directional has direct impact on OTHERS - it is not something that should be left up to me to decide whether I use it or not.

The reason it's a law that you "have to" is because you are driving on public roads. These public roads are serviced by brave men and women who work for the Fire Department, Police Department and EMS (and other entities as well). If the emergency responers have to attend to someone in an accident who IS wearing their seatbelt but are unable to get their because they are tied up with an accident from someone NOT wearing their seatbelt, how well do you think that will go over?

No, I'm not anybody's mom here. Just pointing out that yes indeed your personal actions can make a difference on lives that may not ever come in contact with you.

Do I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time...no, but I certainly should.

^ I guess they didn't design their truck for commerical job site use.

Or farm/ranch use. Even worse than the seatbelt chime is the constant locking your passengers in and out of the vehicle everytime you go through a gate. GM obviously had nobody who uses these trucks for these purposes in on the design.

Your ability to control your vehicle during an accident is impaired if you don't wear your seat belt.

Source? Sounds very made-up to me. Even on the racetrack, drivers are taught if they try to "save it" after the accident has started they generally do more harm than good, just making things worse. Both feet in. And these are professional drivers strapped in with 6-point harnesses.

I wear my belt 100% of the time on paved roads. I do it for selfish reasons though, not some delusion it's for the greater good of society.

The reason it's a law that you "have to" is because you are driving on public roads. These public roads are serviced by brave men and women who work for the Fire Department, Police Department and EMS (and other entities as well). If the emergency responers have to attend to someone in an accident who IS wearing their seatbelt but are unable to get their because they are tied up with an accident from someone NOT wearing their seatbelt, how well do you think that will go over?

No, I'm not anybody's mom here. Just pointing out that yes indeed your personal actions can make a difference on lives that may not ever come in contact with you.

Do I wear my seatbelt 100% of the time...no, but I certainly should.

So let the person not wearing a seat belt bleed out just because they weren't wearing a seat belt?

What if the person wearing the seat belt is the at fault driver and the one not wasn't the at fault driver?

You bring up a valid point, and anyone could come up with a scenario. Not to say you are at fault. I'm sure this exact situation you are describing has happened before. I was just speaking generally. If you're operating equipment on public roads, you gotta obide by the public laws.

If I got both calls at the same time and had to choose 1, I'm heading to the seatbelt accident.

But seriously, I'm not at all saying "I'm right, you're wrong". Everyone has their views, and as you should.

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree, whether the person your having an accident with is affected by you wearing or not wearing a seatbelt is completely irrelevant in 99% of all incidents.

I bet that all the "tuffies" would buckle up as soon as there was a law making them pay for medical attention/care when they were involved in an accident.

And btw, this is how not wearing the seat-belt effect others.

Because the community has to pay to sew your sorry ass back together.

so long

j-ten-ner

I always wear my seatbelt... Hate It! Im pro choice on this matter but on public roads I Still obey the law, at least that one anyway. On the other hand I also am in and out of my truck 12 hours a day on private property supporting my family and this little trick will save my sanity.

For those of you pro life guys that feel you need to picket this thread, would you please just start your own thread and continue your argument. I had to to filter through your dribble to get real information. We are all adults, we all know the consequences...

Thank you to those that actually offered what the OP asked for

Archived