Does a leveling kit affect the ride and/or mpg?

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2013 Z71 and want to have a level kit installed on the front end. I'm concerned if this might change the way the truck rides or affect the aerodynamics and/or mile per gallon that I get. Any feedback is appreciated!

thanks

Ride quality will not suffer at all as all it is a spacer and doesn't effect the front springs. As for Mpg's not enough to measure.

When I had my 08 1/2 ton I had a leveling kit on there and it made the center of the hood flutter at highway speeds, drove me crazy and wound up taking it back off, hood flutter was gone.

Really the only answer if you want increased height with no negative side effects is a small lift kit, 4 inches. The trouble is, any quality lift worth buying is about $2,000. $2,000 just to gain 4 inches of lift is pretty hard to swallow. I find the only way to justify it is to look at how much more capable your truck will be. These trucks are so restricted to how harsh you can be when they are in stock height form.

Leveling kits are hard on things. It's just like your truck is being held up by the nose 2 inches, constantly, all the time. You lose a lot of travel because your suspension is already traveling 2 inches permanently with a level kit. Since the tie rods will be on a steep angle, you will lose some steering angle as well.

I went back and forth for a long time between a leveling kit and just calling it good enough, or a 4 inch lift. I finally decided the BDS 4 inch was the perfect way to go. It will give me enough height to where I am happy with the truck, and not always wanting to trade it in on a HD. It will be very off road capable, and maintain factory ride quality, if not a little better some people say. The kit is sitting in the garage right now until spring time. With Christmas around the corner, I couldn't afford to install it right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I would put the bilstien 5100 lift struts on, ride great and less downsides then the usual level kits. Also I was okd them under my warranty. Did not notice any mpg drop. R removed the front fascia when I leveled, gave me about 4" more front clearance. Now I fear no curb lol

I put on 2" RC leveling spacers, removed the lower plastic air dam thing from the front bumper on my 2013 and noticed no real difference in mpg. I have to go off road frequently and that plastic air dam would have just ended up looking like a victim of a tragic farming accident. Might be a good thing for regular highway / street stuff, but kind of stupid for a pickup that is on the farm.

• 4 years later...
On 12/1/2013 at 9:24 PM, Cowpie said:

I put on 2" RC leveling spacers, removed the lower plastic air dam thing from the front bumper on my 2013 and noticed no real difference in mpg. I have to go off road frequently and that plastic air dam would have just ended up looking like a victim of a tragic farming accident. Might be a good thing for regular highway / street stuff, but kind of stupid for a pickup that is on the farm.

Did you notice any excessive movement going over bumps or potholes from this kit?  I am getting the tires aligned today but curious if you have noticed this with your '13.

No. Just sitting a little higher in front. For various other reasons, I got rid of the 2013 1500 for a 2015 2500.  Found I was inventing new swear words with the 1500.  But not related to the RC lift.

Archived