Antifreeze smell in cab

2014 Silverado going in to service on monday for antifreeze smell in cab with heat and or on auto...Has anyone else had issues? As of last Monday there were 29 heater cores ordered by gm dealerships, (wife works at gm call center, had her look it up) no special notes from dealerships on the order.. seems like alot for a part that shouldnt have to be replaced very often..Will keep everyone updated on diagnosis from Gm dealer...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heater core failure. Hope things have changed as on some models the entire dash has to be ripped from the truck to replace the core. Things never went back together right without rattles. Many people find it a good time to trade off the vehicle instead of deal with the problems.

I agree on the diagnosis but not the concern. GM interiors have been right enough for a while now to enable solid re-assembly. If it makes noise the tech did a sloppy job.

He always makes things sound worse than they are... This is a whole new truck from ground up... I'm 99.999% sure he has never replaced a heater core in a 2014. People still believe whatever was procedure was done to replace heater core in their older truck is the same... ignore it. Take it to the dealer, they will get it fixed.

Heater core failure. Hope things have changed as on some models the entire dash has to be ripped from the truck to replace the core. Things never went back together right without rattles. Many people find it a good time to trade off the vehicle instead of deal with the problems.

Wouldnt be too smart to trade in a 2014 truck unless u like to lose alot of money. .thats what warranty is for..

morley8065,

Oh no! I am sorry to learn that you are going to visit you preferred dealership due to a vehicle concern. Please keep us updated on how the visit goes. GM Customer Care is here on the forum and happy to assist if you ever need our assistance. We are only a private message away!

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

well, good ole gm service fails again, couldnt come up with a solution, but didnt try very hard, removed drain tube at hvac case and checked for odor....unbelievable, well tomorrow off to dealer i bought it at and dropping it off and not picking up till fixed...there is another open case on this without a solution yet...they did do both recalls on out new truck....seatback recliner lever and bcm reprogram....sorry tech didnt even call gm tech support, just figured no bulletins so lets not worry about it...tomorrow is another day, we'll see what happens....

well, no resolution...dealer pressure tested coolant and held pressure, no leaks, but smell of sweet syrup is still there...their solution is too drive it a few more thousand miles and hope it goes away. their theory is a new vehicle smells, from the build....what a bunch of crap...so i guess heavy car fresheners for a while then take it back for a third service faiilure and turn it in for a new one....

I think there will be more trucks having this pproblem . wife's gm boss is contacting gm quality control in this issue. We'll see what that does.

Curious to see what you find out. I have had my truck for two weeks with 850 miles and noticed the antifreeze smell in the cab. I haven't contacted the dealer yet because I thought this may be an isolated incident but have noticed after the truck gets up to temperature its doing it more frequently.

Hi I also have the same problem when the heat is on I get a weird smell (antifreeze) in the cab, bad enough to give me a headache. I sent the truck in for service at 6400km and the dealer said they took it for a test drive and smelt nothing lol. I am going back to ask if they took the time to troubleshoot basic components of the heater core. I will update once I finish.

I had this from day one on my 14. I now have driven it for a month and have used the blower quite often (Canada is cold) and it finally seems to have gone away for good this past week. I would wait a bit and see if it does go away before making a big stink about it. It went away for me.

• 3 weeks later...

well finally after 3rd trip to dealer, they agreed to physically check the heater core by pulling it and yes it is bad. new one on way, there were 4 in stock this morning and by 400 there had been 5 ordered by gm dealers,,,so this is becoming a common problem...wife is working with a guy at work that works on bullentins and trying to see what we can do to get one written on this problem..

Archived