Antifreeze smell in cab

well good old gm service does it again. took truck in Monday night, Tuesday morning said yes heater core is bad, ordered one, of course pdc didn't get it there over night, 60 miles away, lol....so they get it Thursday, should of had truck ready for new core...well, no. Friday at 2:45 they call me and tell me they ordered wrong part, they ordered a a/c condenser core....wtf.....worse service and customer service ever....cant wait to vent my frustrations to gm customer service and see what they do about it....should of kept my dodge ram...lol

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well good old gm service does it again. took truck in Monday night, Tuesday morning said yes heater core is bad, ordered one, of course pdc didn't get it there over night, 60 miles away, lol....so they get it Thursday, should of had truck ready for new core...well, no. Friday at 2:45 they call me and tell me they ordered wrong part, they ordered a a/c condenser core....wtf.....worse service and customer service ever....cant wait to vent my frustrations to gm customer service and see what they do about it....should of kept my dodge ram...lol

Hello morley8065,

I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience with your dealer. We would be happy to look into your situation for you. Feel free to PM me your name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer.

I look forward to your reply,

Jonathan A.

GM Customer Care

update, still no truck. dealer screwed me again. promised truck done on Saturday and didn't come through...6 day heater core replacement, not bad..

jonathan. ....sent you pm with SR#..

well, no resolution...dealer pressure tested coolant and held pressure, no leaks, but smell of sweet syrup is still there...their solution is too drive it a few more thousand miles and hope it goes away. their theory is a new vehicle smells, from the build....what a bunch of crap...so i guess heavy car fresheners for a while then take it back for a third service faiilure and turn it in for a new one....

I have the same issue with my 2014 Sierra. I drove it until I had about 1000 miles on before I took it in last week. I thought it might go away...They pressure tested the system and it held the pressure. I was told the same as you.... to drive if for a couple more weeks and that GM figured it was new vehicle smells. I have had many new vehicles and non smelled like this. It is definitely anti freeze smell but we will wait and see. I just notice the smell when I increase the temp. I am really not looking forward to them ripping my dash apart to replace the heater core. I really do hope it goes away.

I noticed a wiff of this about a week ago, hasn't happened since. Been in the teens here for a week or so, i've been running the he!! out of the heat. I hope that isn't a sign.

Mike

The smell just isn't going to go away. the only to stop this problem is too take it in. if not gm will never know, there is a documented case where gm sent a field rep out to a dealer to work with the tech to fix this problem. he made him pull the heater core and sure enough it was bad, signs of leaking. so gm went to the supplier to let them know of the problem, so there is probably going to be a lot more of these problems over time....

The smell just isn't going to go away. the only to stop this problem is too take it in. if not gm will never know, there is a documented case where gm sent a field rep out to a dealer to work with the tech to fix this problem. he made him pull the heater core and sure enough it was bad, signs of leaking. so gm went to the supplier to let them know of the problem, so there is probably going to be a lot more of these problems over time....

I agree, but until it can be duplicated, I believe I will be wasting my time.

Mike

I just bought a new GMC Sierra 1500 SLT. On the drive home from the dealership (300 miles) I started smelling something like hot antifreeze in the cab of the truck and the windows kept fogging up. Switched from auto to manual on the heater and to defrost, also cracked a window open. Had to do this every 15 minutes to clear the windshield and drivers side window. Sometimes I had to use a paper towel on the inside of the windshield. Air temps ranged from 20 above zero to 35 below zero. Plenty of heat output from heater.

I have a 2003 2500HD and never had a problem like this. Of course at 35 or 40 below zero most any windshield is going to ice up a bit.

Called the dealer and was told the smell was normal and would go away. It has not, and my windows are still fogging up every 15 minutes or so after the truck reaches operating temp. Outside air temperature for the last week or so has been 25 to 35 degrees above zero. Looking at the expansion tank, coolant level is just below the cold level mark on a cool engine. Has anyone had any useful input from a dealership for a problem similar to this? I'm getting tired of the stink and fogged up windows.

After the dealer finally got your new core how long did it take them to replace it? If it takes more than a day or two I'll have to fly home and back to dealer to get the truck. Seems like things are never the same after someone tears your truck apart.

Archived