Antifreeze smell in cab

Knock on wood, not any more coolant smells, 29k later!

Omg,

Went camping this weekend with family and we were overwhelmed briefly 10-15 minutes or so on our drive with anti-freeze smell in the cab:(

I thought I had smelled it several times before on my own. Just was not 100% sure. Now it's for sure.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brand new 2018 Z71 Colorado currently in shambles in the dealership shop while they try and sort this all out. Have so far had a fantastic experience with the dealership, however, pretty upset with GM. Why exactly do I now have to keep a brand new broken truck? They need testing for this issue. Very concerned it’s going to be less than perfect when I get it back.. pretty helpless feeling to have just spent this much money on a broken truck. Any other 2018 cases out there??

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, Al1282 said:
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, Al1282 said:

2015 1500 Z71, Just started to smell some coming from around the radiator, going to take it to Chevy and see what they say. I'm going to tell them to stick dye in if they "find no problem" Because you must be stupid if you can't smell coolant.

. Update 8/15/17, Chevy did find a leak in the radiator and they are changing the t stat as well. Only have 20k miles

2015 z71  27,000 miles  have the smell up  at grill passenger side ....dealer says its NORMAL and gm knows about it  

Grrrrrrr...

1 hour ago, Roadking01 said:

2015 z71  27,000 miles  have the smell up  at grill passenger side ....dealer says its NORMAL and gm knows about it  

Grrrrrrr...

No, that's not normal especially if you didn't smell it before..... I found online somewhere a bulletin where it said "this may effect some 2015 Silverados as well". It said (not word for word) but basically the radiator might start to leak because of the short cycling of the thermostat. I got that replaced as well. BULLETIN AS PER CHEVY ON MY WORK ORDER.  ** PI1513D **you can look online by typing in " Chevy bulletin pi1513d" . Also as stated on my order CAUSE: 4080838. THAT NUMBER WILL COME IN HANDY TOO. Try your Chevy dealer again or id say screw them and go to another. HAVE THEM LOOK AT IT AND GET A RECEIPT FOR WHAT THEY DID SO IF THEY SAY ITS "NORMAL" YOU HAVE PROOF IT WAS AN ONGOING ISSUE.

I have the smell too and when i went in a few weeks ago for the power steering recall they said my radiator was leaking, I didn’t look yet but on occasion I do smell antifreeze during the start up of my heater.

By chance is gm covering these issues or is the customer in the hook for the repairs?

Welp looks like I’ll be doing this myself,

I saw some where a guy was able to group this under the 100k powertrain warranty stating the short cycling of the t-stat caused the failure and the t-stat is powertrain related. It’s a stretch but a nice guy dealership (especially those that are forum savvy) may pick it up.

On 1/17/2017 at 10:02 PM, eppyfish said:

Just an update on this topic guys. Here's another thread on the topic where the details of Special Coverage # 15829 are detailed. When I log onto my.gmc.com and look up the warranty coverage on my specific truck, it now shows "Special Coverage 15829" and shows that the coverage is good through I think Aug of '18. My truck is an early build 2014. Says on the linked thread below, that they cover all costs on new issues after Nov '16 and issues before that look like they'll also be covered by a reimbursement that may be expedited with your local dealership. I drive 50 miles both ways to/from work and I'm smelling the issue quite often. Going to get into my dealership asap.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/194376-letter-cycling-thermostat/

Hope this helps some of you having issues.

Have a pretty early 2014 and dont see this coverage on mine when logging in, kind of surprised. I do have the occasional antifreeze smell. Especially near the radiator and I have had to top coolant off from time to time.

11 hours ago, Waterfowler41 said:

Welp looks like I’ll be doing this myself,

I saw some where a guy was able to group this under the 100k powertrain warranty stating the short cycling of the t-stat caused the failure and the t-stat is powertrain related. It’s a stretch but a nice guy dealership (especially those that are forum savvy) may pick it up.

Short cycling of the thermostat does cause the radiator to get cracks. The bulletin does state that in pretty sure. So when you change it out you should also change the thermostat. However I would fight with Chevy dealership on getting the radiator and t stat done through the powertrain warranty. 

Well my truck goes in Friday for inspection. I sent the dealer the link about. When I was in for the power steering recall they told me my radiator was leaking so hoping Friday is a quick inspection to verify leak and order parts. I’ll report back.

On 12/29/2017 at 5:59 PM, Waterfowler41 said:

Just an FYI, my dealership is replacing the radiator and t stat under powertrain warranty.

2014 GMC Sierra 5.3 SLE

62,000 miles

Good to know, Im at 65k going to use that link you posted and have them look into it.

Archived