remote start question

hokiez

I remote started my truck this morning and after 10 min it shut off. I went to start it a second time and it wouldn't let me restart it. My 2009 would let me start the truck twice but my 2014 seems to only let me start it one time. Can the dealer go in with their computer and override the 10min time limit to say 20min? or let me restart it a second time?

• Like 1

Look in your manual. It's very detailed regarding this, but if I remember right there are certain times when it will not allow you to remote start a second time. As said before you can add 10 minutes to the time while it's running.

Sort of un/related question, but I'm just curious what the range is on the remote start? ie: do you have to be within ~50', ~500', or do you have to be almost on top of the truck for it to work?! I've ordered it with my truck.

I've never tested the max range on my wife's Terrain (factory GM remote start), but I don't think it's all that great.

I had an aftermarket remote start in my old Avalanche, with 2-way FM feedback, and it was INCREDIBLE ... it would start the truck from probably ~1/4 mile away! (maybe not that far, but pretty damn close!) ........AND the remote would "beep" to say the truck started. I wish the factory systems were that good.

Now using the Remote-link app with a smart phone, will that start the truck from wherever you are with your phone?? THAT will be pretty sweet, if I can start it from a greater distance away (ie: at my work, which takes quite a few minutes to get from my work location to the parking lot).

Just curious to hear from those of you who have it :).

Edited by Cap'n Pete

Sort of un/related question, but I'm just curious what the range is on the remote start? ie: do you have to be within ~50', ~500', or do you have to be almost on top of the truck for it to work?! I've ordered it with my truck.

I've never tested the max range on my wife's Terrain (factory GM remote start), but I don't think it's all that great.

I had an aftermarket remote start in my old Avalanche, with 2-way FM feedback, and it was INCREDIBLE ... it would start the truck from probably ~1/4 mile away! (maybe not that far, but pretty damn close!) ........AND the remote would "beep" to say the truck started. I wish the factory systems were that good.

Now using the Remote-link app with a smart phone, will that start the truck from wherever you are with your phone?? THAT will be pretty sweet, if I can start it from a greater distance away (ie: at my work, which takes quite a few minutes to get from my work location to the parking lot).

Just curious to hear from those of you who have it :).

My key fob will work around 100-150 feet away from my truck. I know it sounds funny but, I have done it and it works. Hold your key fob under your mouth while facing the direction of the truck and press the button. I did this at my work from about 175-200 feet and it worked. As for the On-star remote app. I have used it about a 1/2 mile away so far. I would think as long as you have cell phone signal it will start your truck. It's nice because everyone at work has to walk to their cars to start them and I just take out my phone now.

• Like 2

My key fob will work around 100-150 feet away from my truck. I know it sounds funny but, I have done it and it works. Hold your key fob under your mouth while facing the direction of the truck and press the button. I did this at my work from about 175-200 feet and it worked. As for the On-star remote app. I have used it about a 1/2 mile away so far. I would think as long as you have cell phone signal it will start your truck. It's nice because everyone at work has to walk to their cars to start them and I just take out my phone now.

Cool, thanks for the feedback. So the standard range isn't great, but not horrible either (somewhere within ~200' at best). Obviously won't be a problem from inside the house, but could be limited in parking lots, depending on the size. Pretty much what I expected.

The OnStar app sounds great though ... I know I'll take advantage of that for sure!

The Onstar app will work as long as you have service or Internet connection and will work no matter the distance.

Sweet! That's awesome!! I'm looking forward to that feature. I'll definitely show it off to my buddy with a Ram!! :D lol

You have to push the lock button again if you want to remote start it the second time. As far as distance goes, as long as you have the app installed on your phone you have limitless range for starting and locking/unlocking. If you had service on the moon it would still work.

Tell me more please,Are you saying to download a onstar app to phone to call vehicle and start it?

Apparently that's the deal! I don't have it (yet) but will definitely set it up ASAP when my truck arrives. Sounds like a wicked app!! (you can also un/lock doors, and do a couple other things - not sure - diagnostics, etc. maybe?). The remote start option is the best part (to me).

Somebody who has it can surely chime in with more detail.

The OnStar RemoteLink app allows you to start the truck, lock/unlock doors, blow the horn & flash the lights, check fuel level, fuel range, average mpg, odometer reading, tire pressure, oil life remaining, and OnStar hads-free calling minutes remaining - all from your cell phone. You can also search for destinations using Bing maps and send them to the nav system in the truck. It also has buttons to call Onstar. GM Roadside Assistance, or your preferred dealer. It's pretty cool

do the seat warmer lights come on with the remote start in the new trucks? My 08 did but my 2014 lights don't and I can't tell if the warmers are turning on or not. I have the setting turned on.

No. None of the lights on the dash come on till the key is turned to the run position.