remote start question

hokiez

Anyone know how to re activate the remote start function after driving? I stop at stores a lot for a pop and like to leave my truck running with out needing to leave the keys in it. My last truck had an after market viper system and I could hold the remote start button and then get out and lock the truck leaving it running. Someone help please..

Welcome to the forum.

I usually carry my second remote with me and it allows me to lock the doors once I am out and close the door, with the truck running.

Anyone know how to re activate the remote start function after driving? I stop at stores a lot for a pop and like to leave my truck running with out needing to leave the keys in it. My last truck had an after market viper system and I could hold the remote start button and then get out and lock the truck leaving it running. Someone help please..

I lock it with the fob and then use the remote start on the fob to re-start the truck.

• 3 months later...

I shut if off to take the keys with me and restart it with the fob while I'm walking in.

• 3 years later...

Hi I have a 2018 Buick Enclave. 
With regards to the remote start using the fob can anyone tell me the reason why you can only do two remote starts. You then have to actually start the vehicle normally with the fob inside before you can use the remote start feature again. 

The same rules apply using the on star feature from my phone or even using the Alexa app. (Max 2 times)
With my 2011 GMC sierra I can start the vehicle remotely with the factory fob as many times as I want. Not sure why GM thanks limiting the remote start feature to a maximum of two times it’s a good idea. Seems like a step backwards.

4 hours ago, Mike Hovorka said:

Hi I have a 2018 Buick Enclave. 
With regards to the remote start using the fob can anyone tell me the reason why you can only do two remote starts. You then have to actually start the vehicle normally with the fob inside before you can use the remote start feature again. 

The same rules apply using the on star feature from my phone or even using the Alexa app. (Max 2 times)
With my 2011 GMC sierra I can start the vehicle remotely with the factory fob as many times as I want. Not sure why GM thanks limiting the remote start feature to a maximum of two times it’s a good idea. Seems like a step backwards.

That unfortunately is the way GM programmed it. The trucks started that way in 2014 so your 2011 has the old programming. So far I don't think anyone has come up with a solution for extending the timer. It's the say way on the 19-20s as well. Guys still asking abort it on that forum.

I have a question.  Is there any way to NOT have the rear window defrost come on when you use remote start?  I like starting the truck but I don’t always have the need to clear the back window.  In fact, it’s rare to need to use the defroster.  I hate getting down the road and realize I’ve been warming up a perfectly clear window for 10 or 20 minutes while driving.  The heated seats go off when you start the car.  Why not the defroster?  Am I missing something?  I looked in the options menu and don’t see anything. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

That unfortunately is the way GM programmed it. The trucks started that way in 2014 so your 2011 has the old programming. So far I don't think anyone has come up with a solution for extending the timer. It's the say way on the 19-20s as well. Guys still asking abort it on that forum.

Thank you for the quick reply! 

Meanwhile I contacted GM and was told that it stemmed from California's strict emissions regulations.

I still think it is unreasonable because anyone can leave their vehicle locked and running all day spewing out emissions until it runs out of gas regardless of how the remote start is programmed.

1 hour ago, GN2018 said:

I have a question.  Is there any way to NOT have the rear window defrost come on when you use remote start?  I like starting the truck but I don’t always have the need to clear the back window.  In fact, it’s rare to need to use the defroster.  I hate getting down the road and realize I’ve been warming up a perfectly clear window for 10 or 20 minutes while driving.  The heated seats go off when you start the car.  Why not the defroster?  Am I missing something?  I looked in the options menu and don’t see anything. 

No, not with the factory programming. There is nothing we can do.

There is a company on here that sells a device that allows for custom programming on certain parts of the BCM and other body functions but I don't know if that is covered.

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

No, not with the factory programming. There is nothing we can do.

There is a company on here that sells a device that allows for custom programming on certain parts of the BCM and other body functions but I don't know if that is covered.

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

It’s covered :) we generally do 20 minutes per cycle.