Exact differences between Z71 package ?

8thsense

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the list from the GMC website:

Z71.jpg?dl=1&token_hash=AAErvRnWv09CaGaI

The Silverado is a little more complicated. If you stick with 18" wheels, there are special Z71-only wheels. And you can get 2LZ preferred equipment group only if you get LTZ Z71.

Also the transfer case shield is steel. Somebody said it was plastic, which isn't right. Other underbody "shields" are plastic, but I think they are included regardless of Z71.

Also the aluminum control arms don't have anything to do with Z71. I believe aluminum control arms are included on all crew cab models.

Jeff

I went back to the dealer to pick up the new tags and looked at a bunch of crew cabs with and without Z71 package. It seems that the steel control arms show up randomly on certian trucks , as I saw one z71 4x4 with steel and severla more with aluminum. I guess most would say who cares, but they are 41 lbs lighter, won`t rust (my steel have rust on them in 3 weeks already) and lighter control arms will help the susspension react to bumps a lot better.Last, I bought the LTZ full meal deal and want Aluminum, since GM advertised it so much:)

I perosnally like the z71 package as an option on my 2wd. You get a lot more than just what is listed in some fo the threads. You get the new quicker locking rear end and that was a must for me, since this is the first time I elected to go 2wd. Metal shields are only on 4x4, so 2wd just has stock plastic shields. The front end on the z71 looks the best by far to me, as you get slotted dark grill, lower front valaince and extra front cladding that gives a more agressive look. Chrome tow kooks as well but no biggie there.

Now inside, you get a carbon fiber look gauge pod background and with the z71 logo kind of ghosted into it. As one member said, you do not have the fake wood but instead a brushed aluminum panels. You also get nice brushed alumium z71 logo door sills.

Out of the whole package, I do not like the ride of the rancho shocks , even though I have used them on many trucks in the past. I would rather have the twin tube shocks they use on on the none Z71 truck, as they are real smooth , as per the trucks I test drove. The ranchos have a slight chatter to them at certian speeds on the highway but other speeds they are smooth.

I went back to the dealer to pick up the new tags and looked at a bunch of crew cabs with and without Z71 package. It seems that the steel control arms show up randomly on certian trucks , as I saw one z71 4x4 with steel and severla more with aluminum. I guess most would say who cares, but they are 41 lbs lighter, won`t rust (my steel have rust on them in 3 weeks already) and lighter control arms will help the susspension react to bumps a lot better.Last, I bought the LTZ full meal deal and want Aluminum, since GM advertised it so much:)

I perosnally like the z71 package as an option on my 2wd. You get a lot more than just what is listed in some fo the threads. You get the new quicker locking rear end and that was a must for me, since this is the first time I elected to go 2wd. Metal shields are only on 4x4, so 2wd just has stock plastic shields. The front end on the z71 looks the best by far to me, as you get slotted dark grill, lower front valaince and extra front cladding that gives a more agressive look. Chrome tow kooks as well but no biggie there.

Now inside, you get a carbon fiber look gauge pod background and with the z71 logo kind of ghosted into it. As one member said, you do not have the fake wood but instead a brushed aluminum panels. You also get nice brushed alumium z71 logo door sills.

Out of the whole package, I do not like the ride of the rancho shocks , even though I have used them on many trucks in the past. I would rather have the twin tube shocks they use on on the none Z71 truck, as they are real smooth , as per the trucks I test drove. The ranchos have a slight chatter to them at certian speeds on the highway but other speeds they are smooth.

I don't blame you. Several after market parts are based off the aluminum vs steel configuration. My Fab Tech leveling kit is specific for AL. If my truck showed up with Steel I would be forced to buy new levelers. I ordered based off the VIN that Fab Tech reviewed. I have been told AL several times I guess we will see on Monday.

The Z can be worth it depending on what you are looking for. Like I said before I got the Max tow so couldnt, and personaly I like the chrome grill, not that cheap black plastic, have it on my camaro and wish it was different. For an LTZ owner your looking at a 6-700 difference retail so a cheap add on sure. For LT owners its closer to 2 grand and at that point you really have to look at what am I getting. I got the max tow which came with a locking diff, so if I could have gotten the Z function wise I was talking shocks and skid plate with a sticker.

The exact difference is hard to say, what are you comparing? You talking about a straight up LT or LTZ with the Z added or one of those models already with the all start package or something else, you get some of the stuff the Z offers.

Not to bash chevy because the Ford FX4 is the same thing if not worse, and really is just an appearance package now. The Z far from makes these trucks off road vehicles.

Something I still haven't figured out and this thread made me sort of think about it again is the tires. with the 6.2 and max tow you are automatically upgraded to the 20" wheels and QSS all season tires. Initially I thought not being able to go with the all terrain tire had something to do with the load rating for the max tow package. But the RC7 all terrain tires have the same load rating. That tire RC7 is also the spec tire on the Z71 with 20" wheels. I am guessing the Max tow and Z71 have different spring rates which is why they aren't compatible. But I wondered if some engineer just arbitrarily axed every RPO (including the tires) that goes on the Z71 as not compatible with the max tow. It would make more sense than my other thought that for some reason the active noise cancelation on the 6.2 didn't play nice with the more aggressive tire. Your thoughts?

Craig

Something I still haven't figured out and this thread made me sort of think about it again is the tires. with the 6.2 and max tow you are automatically upgraded to the 20" wheels and QSS all season tires. Initially I thought not being able to go with the all terrain tire had something to do with the load rating for the max tow package. But the RC7 all terrain tires have the same load rating. That tire RC7 is also the spec tire on the Z71 with 20" wheels. I am guessing the Max tow and Z71 have different spring rates which is why they aren't compatible. But I wondered if some engineer just arbitrarily axed every RPO (including the tires) that goes on the Z71 as not compatible with the max tow. It would make more sense than my other thought that for some reason the active noise cancelation on the 6.2 didn't play nice with the more aggressive tire. Your thoughts?

Craig

I got the LT so I went from 17s to 18s. Thats interesting they bump up to a 20 with the max tow as typically on tow vehices and half tons bigger the rim and tire it kills towing numbers.

I would think they probably got rid of it more of MPG than anything. Or the fact of not having to deal with a million different rim and rubber combos.

I got the LT so I went from 17s to 18s. Thats interesting they bump up to a 20 with the max tow as typically on tow vehices and half tons bigger the rim and tire it kills towing numbers.

I would think they probably got rid of it more of MPG than anything. Or the fact of not having to deal with a million different rim and rubber combos.

Either way it bugs me having only 1 tire option the kicker is they are passenger car all season tire at that. I am seriously considering going to aftermarket tires the day I pick it up. It is a truck after all it should have at least a slightly more aggressive tire than the average soccer moms minivan.

Craig

I don't blame you. Several after market parts are based off the aluminum vs steel configuration. My Fab Tech leveling kit is specific for AL. If my truck showed up with Steel I would be forced to buy new levelers. I ordered based off the VIN that Fab Tech reviewed. I have been told AL several times I guess we will see on Monday.

I walked the dealership and looked at the front control arms being aluminum Vs steel and looks like ONLY 4x4 CC with 5-8 bed (and reg cab with longer bed 4x4) come with aluminum conrol arms and Steering knuckle plates. I did see a new GMC ALL TERRIAN model and it had steel , so that baffled me , unless the bed was longer. Anyway, out of about 50 trucks, all had steel but the few 4x4 with z71 packages had aluminum contorl arms. Since I have a 2wd with z71 package, that leaves me out of that option. It is easy to see the alumiun control arms, as they are silver in the wheel well area Vs steel are black. Also, this pacakge includes alumiun rear spring blocks and U bolt 4 hole bracket .

Wish GM would put it on all the trucks and be done with it. Alumioun is stiffer and 1/3 lighter, as the GM alum pacakge removes about 42 lbs or so. Lot of it being un-sprung weight. :)

I walked the dealership and looked at the front control arms being aluminum Vs steel and looks like ONLY 4x4 CC with 5-8 bed (and reg cab with longer bed 4x4) come with aluminum conrol arms and Steering knuckle plates. I did see a new GMC ALL TERRIAN model and it had steel , so that baffled me , unless the bed was longer. Anyway, out of about 50 trucks, all had steel but the few 4x4 with z71 packages had aluminum contorl arms. Since I have a 2wd with z71 package, that leaves me out of that option. It is easy to see the alumiun control arms, as they are silver in the wheel well area Vs steel are black. Also, this pacakge includes alumiun rear spring blocks and U bolt 4 hole bracket .

Wish GM would put it on all the trucks and be done with it. Alumioun is stiffer and 1/3 lighter, as the GM alum pacakge removes about 42 lbs or so. Lot of it being un-sprung weight. :)

I still haven't received my truck. I keep getting the maybe tomorrow response from all parties. Other than that...

Are you saying that the All Terrain's will have AL? I have the AT (4x4 w/ z71) in Crew Cab short box configuration. Would that one have AL in your experience? I sure hope so....

My wife has a 2014 Texas Edition LTZ short box crew cab 4x4 with steel control arms. I have a 2014 short box crew cab LTZ Z71 4x4. My Z71 has aluminum control arms.

I still haven't received my truck. I keep getting the maybe tomorrow response from all parties. Other than that...

Are you saying that the All Terrain's will have AL? I have the AT (4x4 w/ z71) in Crew Cab short box configuration. Would that one have AL in your experience? I sure hope so....

Not sure but based on what I have read and seen, 4x4, short bed CC all have aluminum. If the bed is longer, then it may be steel. The GMC AT I saw at the dealer, had steel but I did not check the bed lenght.

Here is a quote from GM. I think it is 2wd that don't have them.

"4WD crew cab models will also use forged aluminum upper front control arms and cast aluminum lower control arms and steering knuckles for a total mass reduction of 42 pounds compared to steel."

Z71 Suspension Package, Off-Road, includes Z71 chrome side front fender emblems, monotube Rancho brand shocks and (K47) air cleaner, (JHD) Hill Descent Control, (NZZ) underbody shield on 4WD models and (V76) recovery hooks on 2WD models
1 - Z71 without (UHN) wheel is included in (GAT) All Terrain Package. Includes (G80) locking rear differential on 2WD models and (UHN) 18" x 8.5" (45.7 cm x 21.6 cm) bright machined aluminum wheels. (Z71) is available with optional 20" or 22" LPO wheels.
2 - Included with (GAT) All-Terrain Package. (Z71) is available with optional 20" or 22" LPO wheels.

Note 1 - refers to sle

Note 2 - refers to slt (I think because the 18x18.5 aluminums are std with the slt package)

Archived