Exact differences between Z71 package ?

8thsense

attachicon.gifIMG_0702.JPG

From the Chevrolet Website:

Z71® Appearance Off-Road Package This available option includes the following features:

• 46mm high-pressure gas-charged shocks
  • A 36mm front stabilizer bar
  • Off-road jounce bumpers to absorb large suspension inputs
  • Under body transfer case shield
  • High-capacity air cleaner
  • Z71 badge and decals
  • Unique gauge cluster, lower bumper appearance, interior trim plates and grill design
  • Brushed metal Z71 door sill plate
  • Hill descent control
  • Trailering Package, locking differential and 18” Bright Machined wheels on LT
  • 18” Bright Machined wheels on LTZ

Not so sure about that high capacity air cleaner specific to a Z71 '16 Silverado, manual specifies one filter, A3181C.

Had a high capacity air cleaner in my '13 Z71 Avalanche the manual listed 2 different model air filters....the Z71 took the A3085C with more pleats than the same stock A3086C filter. Went to replace it in late '15 and both were superceded by a different number A3181C specified for both Z and non-Z Avalanches which had the same pleating as as the old high pleat count filter. Owners manuals show the same is true for the '13 Silverados.

So it appears that in later Silverados there is no "high capacity air filter specific to the Z71".....all '16 Silverados have the new high capacity air filter equivalent.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Forgot about this part too. The Z71 also has some hidden dash menus that you can turn on in the settings, like this Off-road menu. Shows if you are in 2wd, Awd or 4wd and also shows which tire(s) is spinning if you lose traction, kinda neat.

Confirmed on my buddy's non Z71 truck that this menu is not there.

There are some other menus turned off from the factory too like hour meter and a couple others.

514b2e0fda01e15494208c640e501123.jpg

Forgot about this part too. The Z71 also has some hidden dash menus that you can turn on in the settings, like this Off-road menu. Shows if you are in 2wd, Awd or 4wd and also shows which tire(s) is spinning if you lose traction, kinda neat.

There are some other menus turned off from the factory too like hour meter and a couple others.

My 2015 nht, non z71 and my current 2017 ltz non z71 both had/have the off road menu. It's just something you have to turn on through the info section.

My 2015 nht, non z71 and my current 2017 ltz non z71 both had/have the off road menu. It's just something you have to turn on through the info section.

Yeah, I know. My buddy's non 2015 Z71 does not have this feature. Not even as an option to turn on in the menu settings.

That screen is available without Z71 -- I've got it activated on my non Z71 truck.

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4x4 with the Off Road Package (Z71), the Premium Plus Package and the 6.2 V8

I'm no mechanic, but if I'm not mistaken the Upper and Lower control arms are at the top and bottom of the suspension and look like an oversized wishbone correct?

If so, mine are all black and when I used a magnet it stuck to them. So unless I'm mistaken as to what the control arms are, I have no idea what determines which trucks get the steel or aluminum control arms?? And I'd find it hard to believe that GM would randomly place steel or aluminum control arms on these trucks with no consistency.

If anyone has a 2016-2017 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.2 and Z71 Package and you have aluminum control arms, post a picture of them on here please.

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT Crew Cab 4x4 with the Off Road Package (Z71), the Premium Plus Package and the 6.2 V8

I'm no mechanic, but if I'm not mistaken the Upper and Lower control arms are at the top and bottom of the suspension and look like an oversized wishbone correct?

If so, mine are all black and when I used a magnet it stuck to them. So unless I'm mistaken as to what the control arms are, I have no idea what determines which trucks get the steel or aluminum control arms?? And I'd find it hard to believe that GM would randomly place steel or aluminum control arms on these trucks with no consistency.

If anyone has a 2016-2017 Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.2 and Z71 Package and you have aluminum control arms, post a picture of them on here please.

There's an entire thread about this. Z71 gets streel, non-z71 gets aluminum if I recall

There's an entire thread about this. Z71 gets streel, non-z71 gets aluminum if I recall

I saw this topic last night in the "Active Topics" section. Read through it, then went to check to see which I have.

This thread goes back to 2013, seemed this would be the thread discussing it.

I'll see if I can find another to verify if you're correct.

I've glanced over two other threads about this, and it seems there is zero rhyme or reason to which gets aluminum and which gets steel. I'd think it wise to put steel on the Z71 trucks as hitting a control arm with a rock, the steel ones I imagine would fair much better than the softer aluminum (though the aluminum control arms are thicker which they claim make them 10% stiffer, which may be true, but they don't say stronger, because aluminum is softer than steel).

When I used to work in a cast iron Foundry, for 2 years all i did was bust those "A-Arms" out with a sledgehammer. So, all i can say is all of the ones that Grede made were steel

Archived