Photo
- - - - -

14 Sierra All Terrain vs. Denali ride quality?

8 replies to this topic

#1 ASW

ASW

Enthusiast

• 100 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hey guys,

Got a question for you...just spoke to my dealer and was having them locate a 2014 Sierra SLT all terrain fully loaded w/ a short box for me...I asked the dealer what the major differences were between the all terrain and denali, and he said that aside from the cosmetic differences that the denali rides better...

...From al my research, I'm not sure if this holds true for the 14's. Maybe for the 13's but not 14s.

Thoughts?

#2 Northward Bound

Northward Bound

Enthusiast

• 142 posts
  • Drives:2014 Sierra SLT Crew with All Terrain pkg.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Not sure but my new "ordered from the factory" loaded Sierra All Terrain short box drives like a dream.

- Al

#3 crushNchowda

crushNchowda

Enthusiast

• 464 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

The All Terrain automatically comes equipped w/ Z71 which includes rancho shocks that are stiffer. The Denali comes standard w/ the squishier suspension on all base trucks unless ordered w/ Z71.

I've had seat time in trucks equipped w/ both suspensions and I prefer the Z71.

'14 Sierra CC SLT 4WD All-Terrain 5.3 w 3.42s/black/black factory 20"s/weathertech mats&rain visors/Flowmaster Catback

#4 ASW

ASW

Enthusiast

• 100 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

The All Terrain automatically comes equipped w/ Z71 which includes rancho shocks that are stiffer. The Denali comes standard w/ the squishier suspension on all base trucks unless ordered w/ Z71.

I've had seat time in trucks equipped w/ both suspensions and I prefer the Z71.

Curious, what about the Z71 do you prefer? 

#5 Swazimoto

Swazimoto

Enthusiast

• 203 posts
  • Drives:2014 Sierra CC AT SLT, 2012 Yukon XL SLE

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

I am 100% sure about the 2014 but in years past the Denali has also come with a different tire.  That also can have a ride difference.  In the Denali Yukon and Yukon XL they also always had Air Ride suspension.  Was that also in the Sierra Denalis?  That made for a very different feeling (I have a couple with it now) and personally I would avoid it.  It makes the trucks drive like an old cadillac and is actually more difficult to control in thick muddy situations.  I know most people don't drive their denials off road a lot but... this guy did all the time.  

Edited by Swazimoto, 18 November 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#6 fondupot

fondupot

GMC Owner

• 1,520 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra SLT A/T 5.3L

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

My all terrain rides better than my 2011 F150 FX4. The All terrains get the Z71 package, which in turn gets the Rancho shocks. So it will ride rougher than regular 4x4 models. They might do something different for the Denali's though.

Current: 2014 GMC Sierra | All Terrain Z71 | 5.3L | 3.42 | Double Cab | Corsa | Blackbear

Past: 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 | 5.3L | RCX | Cognito | K&N | Borla | Blackbear

KOXSsB7.png

#7 crushNchowda

crushNchowda

Enthusiast

• 464 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

I am 100% sure about the 2014 but in years past the Denali has also come with a different tire.  That also can have a ride difference.  In the Denali Yukon and Yukon XL they also always had Air Ride suspension.  Was that also in the Sierra Denalis?  That made for a very different feeling (I have a couple with it now) and personally I would avoid it.  It makes the trucks drive like an old cadillac and is actually more difficult to control in thick muddy situations.  I know most people don't drive their denials off road a lot but... this guy did all the time.  

They had different suspension in the past because they had AWD platform, now they have the exact same suspension/drivetrain setup. There's no difference in suspension components (at least from what I have read) between an SLT Sierra and a Denali Sierra.

'14 Sierra CC SLT 4WD All-Terrain 5.3 w 3.42s/black/black factory 20"s/weathertech mats&rain visors/Flowmaster Catback

#8 crushNchowda

crushNchowda

Enthusiast

• 464 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

Curious, what about the Z71 do you prefer? 

It makes the steering feel a little tighter/more controlled body motions, feels like it grips the road better and lets me know what's going on underneath more than the first SLT non-Z71 I was in for about 5,200 miles. I have 4,300 miles on my All Terrain.

The non-Z71 was cushier, still held the road well, but communicated very little about what was going on beneath you, and to me that also translated into a looser steering feel as well.

#9 stiggy1

stiggy1

Enthusiast

• 109 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Not sure but my new "ordered from the factory" loaded Sierra All Terrain short box drives like a dream.

- Al

I agree 100% with this statement with my 14 GMC All Terrain!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users