2017 model year = new Duramax engine

Yes, fuel economy is the reason for a diesel in a half ton. I don't understand why people think the truck needs to have all kinds of changes for there to be a reason for a diesel engine.

Half ton trucks are very heavy, even in today's standards. Your not going to get fuel economy with a gas engine in a 5,000 pound vehicle, the efficiency just isn't there. Now, take a nice smaller diesel engine and put it under the hood, and you have a winner. Simply cutting weight won't win the MPG battle all of the truck makers are fighting. The only real answer is to move to the much more efficient diesel engine. As far as I am concerned, it is long overdue. Gasoline engines are so inefficient at making power, they shouldn't be the mainstream. If I had my way, everything would be diesel.

The real problem is going to be pricing. Adding a diesel engine with a emissions system such as a DPF and DEF to a half ton will add considerable cost. My guess is at least $5,000 more. Can the transmissions the half ton trucks would have come with otherwise handle the torque of the diesel engine? Not likely. So, now they need to increase transmission strength or design a new one. Half ton diesel trucks might very well price themselves out of the market. As it sits right now, people are paying 50K for the loaded 2014 GM's, and these are gas trucks! For another 10K you can get a very nicely equipped 3/4 ton or maybe even a 1 ton. How do you convince consumers to pay 55K for a half ton truck, when a 3/4 ton diesel can be had for 60 - 65K?

It's going to be interesting forsure, but I think the biggest problem is going to be pricing. Even right now, if GM continues the way they are, they will price themselves out of the market.

Yes, fuel economy is the reason for a diesel in a half ton. I don't understand why people think the truck needs to have all kinds of changes for there to be a reason for a diesel engine.

Half ton trucks are very heavy, even in today's standards. Your not going to get fuel economy with a gas engine in a 5,000 pound vehicle, the efficiency just isn't there. Now, take a nice smaller diesel engine and put it under the hood, and you have a winner. Simply cutting weight won't win the MPG battle all of the truck makers are fighting. The only real answer is to move to the much more efficient diesel engine. As far as I am concerned, it is long overdue. Gasoline engines are so inefficient at making power, they shouldn't be the mainstream. If I had my way, everything would be diesel.

The real problem is going to be pricing. Adding a diesel engine with a emissions system such as a DPF and DEF to a half ton will add considerable cost. My guess is at least $5,000 more. Can the transmissions the half ton trucks would have come with otherwise handle the torque of the diesel engine? Not likely. So, now they need to increase transmission strength or design a new one. Half ton diesel trucks might very well price themselves out of the market. As it sits right now, people are paying 50K for the loaded 2014 GM's, and these are gas trucks! For another 10K you can get a very nicely equipped 3/4 ton or maybe even a 1 ton. How do you convince consumers to pay 55K for a half ton truck, when a 3/4 ton diesel can be had for 60 - 65K?

It's going to be interesting forsure, but I think the biggest problem is going to be pricing. Even right now, if GM continues the way they are, they will price themselves out of the market.

I'd have to say, this is spot on. And you answered why I bought a diesel, i got a diesel denali for a few thousand more then a fully loaded 1500

• 2 weeks later...

"It's going to be interesting forsure, but I think the biggest problem is going to be pricing. Even right now, if GM continues the way they are, they will price themselves out of the market."

Very true! Residuals on the new Caddy ATS are falling because Cadillac has priced it at or even above (with options) it's competitiors at BMW and Mercedes.

Hopefully they get the message.....although at least the product is world class now with no compromises in Chassis/Drivetrain or interior bits.

• 3 weeks later...

A svo rat I know said the new dmax was going to be quite a bit bigger displacement but lower compression than the current engine. This config is supposed help them manage Nox easier.

But if the compression is lower but the boost is higher wouldnt that put you right back to square one.

Guess we will know in 3 years......

• 1 month later...

With CAFE becoming so close (34.5mpg by 2020) , I only see the trucks becoming lighter, smaller, and more efficient.

A medium duty, exempt section might be a good way to restructure the big trucks to get around this.

Nope, medium duty (and heavy duty) will soon have their own CAFE to conform to. At least the averages are factored to take payload capacity into account.

• 2 weeks later...

A svo rat I know said the new dmax was going to be quite a bit bigger displacement but lower compression than the current engine. This config is supposed help them manage Nox easier.

But if the compression is lower but the boost is higher wouldnt that put you right back to square one.

Guess we will know in 3 years......

Yes, I heard the same thing. But if you look at it this way, larger displacement will not only allow for the same power with lower a compression ratio, but it should also need less boost for the same output as well. Remember that boost raises NOX just as compression does.

The DMax plant is being upgraded for the new diesel as we speak.

Exciting. I want to wait, I might not, I might just get a 1500 now and then a 2500 Dmax later. AHHHHH so confused. I want one now, I'll need one soon, but would be nice to hold out for the new diesel. Although I'd end up waiting until 2018 so kinks are hopefully worked out. Never had an issue with new model year vehicles but you never know.

• 2 years later...

Well here it it is 2016 and some of you guys guessed right ! Ford riding around testing a V6 diesel in the F 150 . It would be nice if GM would add a couple of cylinders to the 2.8 diesel from the Colorado and made a inline 6 and installed it in the Silverado / Sierra 1500 . :thumbs:

Archived