Driver alert package...anyone have it?

sh00ter

Do you know how much of a discount you get from the insurance company to have these items installed in your vehicle? It should be a good discount. I was wondering how much. Sometimes these options are a lot of money because the dealers add (package) a lot more items. For an example: To get the back up camera on my truck (about $500 value) I would have to go into an LT (I have a WT trim) trim for about $3,000 (+/-) more money. There are more options but I don't need most of them. I would also have to go into an LT version to get the driver's alert package etc. which is another $2,000 (+/-). So I am now up to approximately $5,000 plus state tax ($318). Safety and insurance discounts are nice but where is the breaking point on the budget you can afford and what is needed especially on the resell/trade in. More options could cost more money in the garage. Some options don't have a good return on the second hand market.

My insurance bill went up $500.00 with the new truck.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My insurance bill went up $500.00 with the new truck.

My insurance went down $65.00 per 6 month period going from a 2016 Denali without the driver alert and other extra safety features to a 2017 Denali Ultimate with all the goodies. Not even sure what all it has as I just brought the truck home last night......just know the insurance is cheaper

The lane guidance in my '17 works great, corrects the wheel before the seat vibrates.

low speed braking is ok

I think the IntellaBeams are awesome, living in a rural area automatic hi/low beams that work perfect are very very nice to have

I like the package

Precisely. I hate dumb-ass drivers that don't signal when turning or making lane changes. It's such a simple act of courtesy to others and also helps in avoiding accidents involving turning. If I see your signal, I know you're getting ready to make a turn and I'll back off so I don't have to jam the brakes. Lane-changing signals are also very helpful on multilane highways, especially if you're also thinking of making a lane change, you see someone else may also be going into same spot.

you must not drive in the houston texas area. using blinkers is a sign of weakness and will only get you cut off and unable to move over into another lane. lol

Do you know how much of a discount you get from the insurance company to have these items installed in your vehicle? It should be a good discount. I was wondering how much. Sometimes these options are a lot of money because the dealers add (package) a lot more items. For an example: To get the back up camera on my truck (about $500 value) I would have to go into an LT (I have a WT trim) trim for about $3,000 (+/-) more money. There are more options but I don't need most of them. I would also have to go into an LT version to get the driver's alert package etc. which is another $2,000 (+/-). So I am now up to approximately $5,000 plus state tax ($318). Safety and insurance discounts are nice but where is the breaking point on the budget you can afford and what is needed especially on the resell/trade in. More options could cost more money in the garage. Some options don't have a good return on the second hand market.

I wouldn't count on any discount on insurance based on driver's alert systems. My Malibu and Impalas premiums have the systems - had to get this crap to get the better models with upgraded engines (damn Malibu additionally contains useless auto following distance, auto hi beams and auto braking which are always turned off for safety). And my rates were higher with these features than without!

Insurance rep. explained that the $200. collision deductible is what was killing me - any added considerations for credit for this stuff as "safety equipment" were more than offset by the additional charges to cover repairs for the expensive ultrasonic and radar sensors in the grille, mirrors and rear end.

Have both on my 14 Sierra and I like them. Lane departure can get a little tiring ( I live near Dallas with all that stupid construction on 35) but then again sometimes I find myself swerving just for the free butt massage. The collision warning system works fine. Only problem I've noticed is that sometimes it will go off for no reason other than a big shadow on the road (I do have the setting turned all the way up though due to crazy drivers in town)

Archived