Driver alert package...anyone have it?

sh00ter

I ordered a Summit White Denali with everything but rear entertainment. I'm not sure how I'll like the Driver Alert Package but decided to add it anyway. I think I would prefer the blind side alert that flashes in the outside mirrors when a vehicle is approaching in an adjacent lane from the rear. My wife's SUV has it & it works great.

If anyone has the Driver Alert, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've driven dozens of vehicles with these features including the new trucks. You'll love the blind-spot warning, collision warning, and rear-cross traffic alert. The lane departure warning gets annoying after a few days and is overly sensitive.

Enjoy the new truck :cheers:

I've driven dozens of vehicles with these features including the new trucks. You'll love the blind-spot warning, collision warning, and rear-cross traffic alert. The lane departure warning gets annoying after a few days and is overly sensitive.

Enjoy the new truck :cheers:

You mention the "blind-spot warning"...is that included in the Driver Alert Package? If so, I hadn't seen that in any of the sites or brochure. Hope it's included!

On my Sierra, there is no blind spot warning. The front collision seems to not work as well as it does it other vehicles. It's very sensitive on the lane departure though. After about two days, I had to change the notification to the seat vibration because I was sick of hearing it beep.

GM would be touting that if they had BSA in these trucks. It's a great feature. Too bad they don't offer it.

I'm surprised they don't. I passed a camo'd F150 mule a month or so ago so I couldn't see much but I did see the telltale on the mirror as I passed so its likely the new Fords will have, or at least offer it.

You can turn off lane departure if you want. One of my local roads has the rumble strips right on the edge so I leave it off on it. Use it when you need it. Lane departure is controlled by switch on bottom of center bank. The forward collision alert is controlled by button on left side of steering wheel.

Having factory HID lights, blind spot warnings and cross-traffic alert when reversing and (especially) adaptive cruise control on one of my current vehicles, I know these can be very useful safety features. Lane departure is intriguing but those other features are proven technology that have been available for many years on many different makes of vehicles including GM SUVs. The fact that none of them are available on any trim level of 2014 light duty GM truck is a big incentive for me to wait and see what Ford offers for their 2015 F-150.

Yes, I also had to turn mine off at the center stack, it was driving me crazy. I have an E-350 Mercedes my wife drives, and you cannot make the lane departure warning go off intentionally. I have tried to demonstrate it and it won't work. However, last year I was driving about 3:00AM and wandered over the line a little and the damn thing scared the sh-- out of me. Having said that, the system on the Sierra is easy to turn off and on, so when I'm in a situation I think I might need some additional insurance, I can just turn it on. Bottom line is, in MHO, it's worth the small investment to have that kind of "insurance" for early morning or late night road trips.

When I test drove an SLT with lane departure, I noticed using the turn signal to indicate I was changing lanes stopped the seat vibration.

Exactly. Too many people out there don't signal when they change lanes. WTF is an "intentional lane departure" Use the damn indicator! Maybe this feature will force people to be better drivers.

Exactly. Too many people out there don't signal when they change lanes. WTF is an "intentional lane departure" Use the damn indicator! Maybe this feature will force people to be better drivers.

Precisely. I hate dumb-ass drivers that don't signal when turning or making lane changes. It's such a simple act of courtesy to others and also helps in avoiding accidents involving turning. If I see your signal, I know you're getting ready to make a turn and I'll back off so I don't have to jam the brakes. Lane-changing signals are also very helpful on multilane highways, especially if you're also thinking of making a lane change, you see someone else may also be going into same spot.

I think the lane departure is best for the cell phone, texting crowd. I cannot count how many times I have had to lay on the horn as the car, van or suv in front of me slowly wanders to the side of the road or worse half the car across the yellow. I have seen near roll overs as the DA puts a tire in the dirt and over corrects. I pass the dumb ass and yep phone or texting.

That said, I think the blind spot warning would be more useful. A lot of folks fly up on you way over the speed limit and what was not there 3 secs ago is now there. And they do it on the right too! An no I am not poking along trust me. Wish they would add it. Test drove a new Accord. when right turn signal is on the camera on the mirror shows up on the dash so you can see the entire lane. Still all this is just compensation for mostly poor driving habits. Me included sometimes.

Archived