Photo
- - - - -

Driver alert package...anyone have it?

30 replies to this topic

#16 bearman95

bearman95

Enthusiast

• 139 posts
  • Drives:2014 LTZ, Texas Edition 4x4 Silverado and 2014 LTZ, Z71 4x4 Silverado

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

The lane departure works as advertised. If you cross the line it alerts you unless you put your turn signal on as you should anyway. I have not found it too sensitive at all.

#17 Likarok

Likarok

Enthusiast

• 490 posts
  • Drives:Chevys GMC'S and Hogs

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

An old bugger like me, that vibrating seat may be all th excitment I get! hahaha

I am looking at a new reg cab shorty (lease up on my 11)with the Alert Package. Dealer has access to basically the same truck with and with out it, but after reading the comments here I think I will go with it! Truck I am looking at is a Sierra SLE z71 in Iridium. Cute little guy!

2008 Corvette ZO6
2011 Silverado LTZ Crew
2014 Sierra SLE Short Box
2011 HD 103 Street Glide

#18 racerkvn

racerkvn

Enthusiast

• 75 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Drives:'14 High Country 6.2

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

I have it all on my High Country and like it. I was thinking when I got took delivery of the truck I'd never use that stuff... but after working all day then leaving that night on a long road trip, I turned it all on. And I liked the thought of having it, just in case.

#19 racerkvn

racerkvn

Enthusiast

• 75 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Its one of those options like bed lights... hardly ever use it or even need it, but its a nice feature to have when you do.

#20 Wakesetter247lsv

Wakesetter247lsv

Enthusiast

• 15 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Lane departure is intriguing but those other features are proven technology that have been available for many years on many different makes of vehicles including GM SUVs. The fact that none of them are available on any trim level of 2014 light duty GM truck is a big incentive for me to wait and see what Ford offers for their 2015 F-150. 

I have a Mercedes E550 with Active Keeping Assist, Active Blind Spot Assist, and Distronic Plus.  These are AWESOME features, and I believe worth $$ to get them.  I too was skeptical at first, but now see the safety advantages they yield.  

In stop and go traffic, the car drives on it's own- yes one its own.  Traveling frequently on I-95 in DC in traffic jams (which is a regular occurrence) the Merc will come to a full stop and then accelerate when the car in front starts to move.  It does this to about 30 mph, then gives me an alert that I now have to take over.    

The blind spot assist will push the E550 back into the lane should I attempt to change lanes and not see a car in my blind spot.  (Yes the little red light is really all I need, but the extra assist does work, and does scare the S$%^ out of you when it does it.)

We Active Lane Assist, if there is a curve in the road, the car will follow the curve.  

I ordered a Denali 1500 and it would be great if the 1500 had the same safety features  as my Mercedes.  The technology works. 

Edited by Wakesetter247lsv, 21 April 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#21 brentadams646

brentadams646

Enthusiast

• 434 posts
  • Name:Brent Adams
  • Drives:2014 Silverado LTZ

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Have it on my LTZ, not worth the extra money IMO

2014 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab | Silver Ice Metallic | Black Perforated Leather | 5% Tint | Debadged | DJM 3/6 Suspension | LINE-X Bedliner | Craven Speed Stubby Antenna | American Brother Designs Color-matched Bowtie | Dumped Factory Exhaust

My Build Thread - http://www.gm-trucks...verado-ltz-2wd/

#22 chuckl1218

chuckl1218

Enthusiast

• 804 posts
  • Name:Chuck
  • Drives:2014 Silverado LTZ DC Texas Edition

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

Lane Departure is not as sophisticated as the Mercedes and there is no Blind Spot Alert.  I had to turn it off for in city driving, but I can see value in longer highway trips.  I did not order my truck (bought off the lot) and this came with other options I did want.  Not sure I would have ordered it with this one.  Time will tell.  I leave Collision Alert on, although set for the maximum gap so that it is not as sensitive.  It mainly alerts when someone in front of me suddenly slows to turn right which I am avoiding anyway.  Time will tell on this one too.

Ruby01

"Ruby"

2014 Silverado LTZ Double Cab Texas Edition

Deep Ruby Metallic, Chevy Bedrug, BakFlip VP, AMP Bed Extender, Bed LED add-ons, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, AMP PowerSteps, Michelin LTX M/S2, Driver Assist Handle

#23 almondted

almondted

Enthusiast

• 15 posts
  • Drives:2014 SLT CC short bed, loaded. Lifted, Helo 20" wheels, spray in bed liner.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Mine has it and it's a good feature for long trips but if you drive mostly back roads, narrow roads, country type roads like I do then it drives you nuts. Stays off about 90% of the time but it was offered so I thought I had to have it. As others have said the tech is way behind some of the hi end cars! Overall it's a great truck...

:cheers:

#24 redwngr

redwngr

Enthusiast

• 584 posts
  • Drives:2011 2500 Sierra SLT CCSB 4WD Z71 Dmax

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

The '15 Yukon has available Active Cruise, maybe the pickups will get it for '15 as well.

#25 gbjayson

gbjayson

Enthusiast

• 12 posts
  • Drives:2014 Sierra Denali 5.3

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

I have the lane departure and driver alert package on my 14' denali

The lane departure is a nice feature. Kind of annoying at times but it also gets me to pay attention if im distracted. all in all the feature works great.

As far as the driver alert (forward collision) it seems completely random. It has gone off before in a situation where I don't know how a forward collision would have been possible. And other times i've had to slam on my breaks because of a hard braking vehicle in front of me and the thing didn't go off. So overall, not impressed. The reason I wanted it was because I thought it came with the side view mirrors w/ blind spot monitoring. It does not. My mirrors only have the turn signal lights and I have a dinky little blind spot mirror on my driver's side mirror. I was expecting the light that you usually see on 2013 tahoe LTZs.

Anyone know what package is supposed to have the blind spot monitoring lights on the mirrors?

#26 SY2455

SY2455

Enthusiast

• 97 posts
  • Drives:1991 GMC Syclone a 90's veteran for a 70's USN Veteran.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

I have both lane departure and driver alert package on my LTZ and really like it. I also have cheaper insurance rates because of it.

1970 442 W-30 1st car we bought when we where married. 1991 GMC Syclone is my toy. 2004 GTO is her toy.
2014 CCSB 6.2 has made it in 5weeks and 3 days from ordering to the driveway.

#27 redwngr

redwngr

Enthusiast

• 584 posts
  • Drives:2011 2500 Sierra SLT CCSB 4WD Z71 Dmax

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

I have the lane departure and driver alert package on my 14' denali

The lane departure is a nice feature. Kind of annoying at times but it also gets me to pay attention if im distracted. all in all the feature works great.

As far as the driver alert (forward collision) it seems completely random. It has gone off before in a situation where I don't know how a forward collision would have been possible. And other times i've had to slam on my breaks because of a hard braking vehicle in front of me and the thing didn't go off. So overall, not impressed. The reason I wanted it was because I thought it came with the side view mirrors w/ blind spot monitoring. It does not. My mirrors only have the turn signal lights and I have a dinky little blind spot mirror on my driver's side mirror. I was expecting the light that you usually see on 2013 tahoe LTZs.

Anyone know what package is supposed to have the blind spot monitoring lights on the mirrors?

If it's like the Impala, collision warning is only above a certain speed.

I've noticed it sometimes, when on  curve, it detects vehicles coming the other way.

#28 EXSlider400

EXSlider400

Enthusiast

• 422 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

Have it and works good. Wish it had the blind spot sensors though...big long truck..

med_gallery_42817_950_339284.png

Sierras: 07 (All Terrain Items, 2/4 Drop, 5.3, 4L65e, Magnaflows,& Grill)
& 14 - CC Denali Z71 (Tint, Quad-fold, Line-X, Putcos, & +1" front level)

#29 racerkvn

racerkvn

Enthusiast

• 75 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

I don't think there is an option for blind spot monitoring/detection on the Silverado and Sierra.  

#30 PMattras

PMattras

Enthusiast

• 404 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Drives:2014 Chevy Regular Cab Truck 2WT 1500 - 5.3L - 4X4

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

I have both lane departure and driver alert package on my LTZ and really like it. I also have cheaper insurance rates because of it.

Do you know how much of a discount you get from the insurance company to have these items installed in your vehicle? It should be a good discount. I was wondering how much. Sometimes these options are a lot of money because the dealers add (package) a lot more items. For an example: To get the back up camera on my truck (about $500 value) I would have to go into an LT (I have a WT trim) trim for about $3,000 (+/-) more money. There are more options but I don't need most of them. I would also have to go into an LT version to get the driver's alert package etc. which is another $2,000 (+/-). So I am now up to approximately $5,000 plus state tax ($318). Safety and insurance discounts are nice but where is the breaking point on the budget you can afford and what is needed especially on the resell/trade in. More options could cost more money in the garage. Some options don't have a good return on the second hand market.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users