LED Aftermarket Reverse Lights / Pods

I just got done my rear light install a few days ago. Here is how I wired it and what parts were used.

Lights- Nilight® 2pcs 18w Flush Floods they were $34 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5AAX5S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

Fuse- Blue Sea systems fuse holder with 5amp fuse (Blue Sea)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZIUA62?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Switch with boot- Blue Sea Systems WeatherDeck ON-OFF-ON Toggle SPDT Switch

- Blue Sea Systems WeatherDeck Toggle Switch Boot, Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMFJ02?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMC7HU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

Other Stuff- 14ga wire, heat shrink butt connectors, heat shrink, and wire tape

I used the reverse feed, Ground, and +12V from the 7 pin trailer harness with the two feeds wired to the 3 way switch in the bumper. I taped into the wires by taking a little insulation off the wire then split the strands and wrapped the 14ga wire in and around the trailer wire with out cutting any strands. Then the 5A fuse is on the output of the switch wired to the lights. The reason for putting the switch on the bumper is for a few reasons. First so I cant get mad and blind people and second so it is easy to get to when im connecting to a trailer. The lights take somewhere around 3 Amps so there is no issue with power from the harness and the positive feeds are already fused coming from the front fuse block. I also used some clear silicone to fill in the gaps around the bottom of the lights for now. I think making some angled spacers will be a good next step. Im happy with the end result and how functional they are with a low amount of cost and work. If anyone sees any issues with my set-up please let me know!!!

3 way switch for back up lights (on-off-on) (On any time-off-On when in R)

Back up lights on

Back up lights off

Bumper Lights

Bumper Lights

Edited by JasonAVGuy
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just came in from testing my 7 pin connector and there is no voltage at the center pin with the truck in reverse and running. I do have power at the constant supply pin. Where would the fuse be for the 7 pin connector be?

I found the information for the fuses by RTFM. Lol!!

Just in case anyone ever needs the information again, the fuses for the trailering is

14 Trailer Stop / Turn Lamps, Left

15 Trailer Park Lamps

16 Trailer Back Up Lamps

17 Trailer Stop / Turn Lamps, Right

And they are in the fuse block under the hood.

Edited by Eddie 70

Due to severe back issues on today I had a local shop make the electrical connection , using the instructions noted in this forum. The shop only made the connection to the reverse hot wire and coiled the excess wire and stored it above the spare until the auxiliary backup lights are installed. To make a long story short ,on the way home from the shop I noticed that my Samsung Note 5 was having problems making bluetooth connection to my truck (2014 Sierra SLT) . When it did connect there was severe static and my contacts and recent calls list had disappeared. There were no problem prior to him connecting to the reverse hot wire. There is no ground wire yet as I was going to use the chassis as ground. I hope I explained this clearly. I am tempted to have him undo the connection if no help comes from the forum. Hopefully that may restore the bluetooth function. HELP!!!!!!

Can somebody help me. I'm trying to to find 5000k color temp led pods for reverse lights on my truck. I have already changed the reverse and cargo bulbs to 5k From VLED and I would like my pods to match. I'm also not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on pods. If anyone knows where I can find them. I would appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can somebody help me. I'm trying to to find 5000k color temp led pods for reverse lights on my truck. I have already changed the reverse and cargo bulbs to 5k From VLED and I would like my pods to match. I'm also not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on pods. If anyone knows where I can find them. I would appreciate it.

I think most of the led pods are like 6k. Is a standard color.

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for anyone that did this install, I bought my LED's off eBay here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/171735291054?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When installing this, we dont need to use any resistors or anything like that? I plan to use T tap connectors to tap into the reverse lights like the original poster did. Thanks

Quick question for anyone that did this install, I bought my LED's off eBay here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/171735291054?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When installing this, we dont need to use any resistors or anything like that? I plan to use T tap connectors to tap into the reverse lights like the original poster did. Thanks

No resistors needed, just straight up t tap into reverse wire which is a green one and then ground which is black.

• 2 weeks later...

IGuys here is my led rock lights I am using for reverse. They are bright as all get out! I'm thrilled with them. I ordered them from Steve @ http://www.sneveysoffroad.com

Thanks for the great write up!! I did my Install this past weekend and everything came out great. Only issue I had was one of the screws broke halfway into ratcheting it into the trailer for the light mount, so I had to drill it out. Thanks again

Edited by nolabell

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to order some flush mount pods to mount in my rear bumper. I saw on amazon rigid sells two different wiring harnesses for duallys. One of them has a relay and one of them doesn't. Both have a fuse though. I am not going to tap into the reverse circuit. I'm just going to run them to a switch in the cab. That being said, I do not need the harness with the relay correct? Really not much of a price difference, but just figured I'd double check.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Alright folks I need some wiring help. If someone has a diagram that'd be great cause I'm a visual/picture guy.

I am wanting to run 2 led pods as aux reverse lights.

I want to run them on a relay.

I also want to run a on-off-on switch in the cab as well so I can a)isolate the lights completely off and b) turn them on when not in reverse for camping and such.

Anyone help me out here? Thanks.