Hill Decent Control

Anyone had the opportunity to try this out in the snow yet? We're supposed to be getting punched in the mount by Old Man Winter over the next couple days and I'm gonna get to try it out. I tried it on dry pavement tonight and it seems like it worked pretty well. All I had to do was hit the button on the center stack somewhere between 2 and 14 mph on a 10%+ grade and it engaged and kept the speed constant. Seems like it should work well!

Thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't tried it yet, but has something similar on my AV. When going over Wolfe Creek Pass in Colorado, the AV break acted like a jake break on hill decent. As stated, I haven't tried it on my Silvy yet, but curious to know what you discover.

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hmm mine has Hill Descent control what is this Hill Decent control is that a good thing?> haha

Mine engages at much higher speeds I noticed it at around 45 when I am going down a steep hill and hold the brake pedal for more than 8 or 10 seconds it engages and holds the truck at that speed until you touch the gas pedal. What I really like is the the way that it keeps the truck from rolling back when stopped on a steep rise that is very useful especially when towing a heavy trailer..... Awh shoot I guess I will have to go get the owners manual and actually read the silly thing I am sure it is very well explained in there. Who reads the owners manual?? this is going to be a CHORE

I think there are two different kinds of hill control on our trucks, and please excuse me as I am unsure of the correct terminology of both. The one that the OP is talking about is offered only on the Z71 package and has a button on the center console. This button is used while off-roading and going down a steep slope, you press the button and then crest the top of the hill. The truck will then maintain the speed that you crest the hill at all the way to the bottom without driver brake input.

The hill control that MyFavTruck speaks of is on all trucks no matter the package and acts more like a cruise control while going down a steep hill at highway speeds. It also doesn't allow the truck from rolling backwards when stopped/start while ascending a steep slope. I noticed this for the first time a couple of days ago while creeping in traffic climbing out of a tunnel.

There's two different things. One is hill start assist. Which holds you momentarily when taking off on a slope. Then there's hill decent control which downshifts the truck and holds speed going down a hill.

ACTUALLY....

I think we are discussing 3 distinct things here.

One is Hill Start Assist, and it's just what it sounds like, it holds the brakes for up to 1.5 seconds while facing uphill or until you hit the gas. Keeps you from rolling back. I would say this is handy, and it probably is, but where was this in the days of a manual slush box???

One is Grade Engine Braking (really not sure of the name, or IF it has a distinct name). Think of it as a cruise control jake brake. It uses the engine to maintain speed downhill, particularly when you have a load. It can rev the engine rather high, you'll know it when it happens. I think this is standard issue on nearly, if not all trims. It works at higher, cruise speeds and doesn't involve the brakes.

Last, but not least is Hill Descent Control. Only comes on certain packages, (I know AT has, I think Z71 has as well), and it requires a push of the button. Low speed operation only, think <37 mph or something like that. It's like cruise control for SLOW down hill descents. Uses a combination of engine braking (mentioned before) and conventional braking. Yes, it will apply the brakes FOR you. But, at least you have to actively select this by pushing the button on the console. Do you have it? Well...do you have the button??

Yep, that makes sense, 3 separate things. My AT has the Hill Descent Control (button on the center console). I haven't used it yet though, hopefully sometime this spring!

I have it and I've never pressed it.. I do like the hill hold thing.. but you mentioned above it holds for 1.5 sec.. Mine will hold for as long as I sit there.

So if only the Z71 has the option why does my High Country keep giving me a notice on the dash that it engages. Usually at stops on hills, I guess it has it automatically as there are no buttons to push?

The Hill Descent Control is the only Z71-specific option here. You probably have the other two.

Hill Descent Control is an actual button you press to activate. It only works at slow speeds. bdbake01 is right that it is equipped with the Z71 packages. The prompt you are seeing on your High Country is "Hill Start Assist" which is a different system than "Hill Descent Control."

Archived