Grade Braking Assist

Shahar

Hello all, I was searching the forum about this topic and couldn't find anything. I found the grade breaking assist to be quite annoying, I must say that at the beginning I thought this is a nice feature to have and to some degree I still do, at least in terrains you're not familiar with, but where I leave I know exactly when to break/shift gears. Anyone knows how to disable this feature, if possible at all? Thank you! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 seconds is required, and a message will display.

It's also off when in manual gear selection mode.

If it is grade braking you are experiencing, it should be giving a 'Grade Braking Active' message the first time it activates during an ignition cycle.

The reason I'm trying to disable this feature, if possible, is because when I'm on downhill and let's say not holding the brake and let the 'brake assist' do its job, it goes from about 2k rpm to 4k rpm in an instant and back to 2k rpm in an instant, make me feels like the engine gone kuku (not sure how to spell kuku but I believe you know what I mean...)

Sorry about all of my spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I'm trying to disable this feature, if possible, is because when I'm on downhill and let's say not holding the brake and let the 'brake assist' do its job, it goes from about 2k rpm to 4k rpm in an instant and back to 2k rpm in an instant, make me feels like the engine gone kuku (not sure how to spell kuku but I believe you know what I mean...)

Sorry about all of my spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.

Its not that the engine is gone crazy...its the way the grade braking works. If you are more comfortable and know when to shift as you state in your original post, drop the shift lever into manual mode and you control when it up and down shifts.

Thank you all for your replay, that's great information.

I guess it comes down to two options:

1- hold the tow button for several seconds, or

2- shift to Manual

Will try them both to see what works best for me

• 1 year later...

I have a 2014 2500HD, 6.0 Liter-gas engine. When not towing I do not like it when auto grade braking activates when I am coasting down a hill for example. I am glad I found this thread soI can turn it off. My question is does it come on everytime you start the vehicle? TIA!

• 1 year later...

This popped up for the first time ever slide I got the truck last October today going downhill. I wasn't in trailer mode or cruise or anything. Why would tks suddenly pop up when it never had before

Perfect conditions, as seen by the trucks computer to engage the option. Try going down a steeper hill to see if it works again. You can to an extent control it not coming on by the way you descend hills.

It only engages if the truck is accelerating because of the grade with no throttle input from you...this requires the combo of pretty steep grade, certain speed, certain gear/rpm that doesn't happen often when you aren't towing. When you do have the added weight of a trailer behind you pushing you downhill it happens more often so sometimes it seems it's only active in Tow Haul mode even though it's always active.

You can disengage it by giving it gas, but if you are already accelerating without giving gas this probably isn't the best option.

Archived