High frequency noise coming from dash when in 4WD

I posted the same problem about a month ago. I have been to the dealer twice and have heard two different answers one they don't hear it or two don't know how to fix it. It is driving me crazy please let me know if anyone else has had better luck. They all do it but some people cant here the pitch of the noise i have test drove 2 other Chevys and one GMC all do the same thing

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear it intermittenly as well when in 4wd, its not so bad I'd take it in early for it (I'll wait for an oil change), but I would like to know what is causing it.

Also what other thread is out there about this? I did search and saw nothing...and, I mean, this one is 3 pages long to begin w/ and describes the problem precisely as it is in the title, so I think this thread should suffice.

Anyone get a reply from a dealer on it?

That's your active handling trying to keep you from sliding all the way around. Back end steps out to passenger side, front right abs activates, back end out to drivers side, front left activates.

Makes complete sense, would have never thought of that. Thanks!

Took the truck in yesterday for the lights around the radio issue and the high freq noise in auto/4x4. Here is the response from Service manager. I can live with the radio stuff. But the high freq noise is driving me crazy. Would really like to see GM come up with a solution.

Full disclosure on the reply below, I used to work at the dealership in high schoo/college and have a great relationship with this service manager. His reply below.

Got the picture of the dash lighting from you, looks like it is out of the sales brochure, Checked yours against 4 , yes 4,
other 2014 trucks, none of them have backlighting rings around the 3 knobs,Not sure why they look illuminated in the picture.4wd auto noise. To be honest, I couldn’t hear it, took Katie along, 20 year old female ears, She could hear it every time, drove another 2014, she could hear it on that one too. I could hear the same noise when engine is off and changing from 2wd to 4wd, Contacted tech assistance, they have no cases or complaints on this yet, He seem to think it is a normal electric motor noise as the encoder is applying and releasing the internal clutchesIn the transfer case, no fix at this time, Sorry buddy.

Posted here and another area on problems talking about lighting.

Not sure if its the active handling causing the noise for 2 reasons.. First, I've never heard this noise in any 4 wheel drive vehicle I've ever driven and second, I've tried switching to 4WD high and auto for a couple mins on dry pavement and heard the same noises..

Took the truck in yesterday for the lights around the radio issue and the high freq noise in auto/4x4. Here is the response from Service manager. I can live with the radio stuff. But the high freq noise is driving me crazy. Would really like to see GM come up with a solution.

Full disclosure on the reply below, I used to work at the dealership in high schoo/college and have a great relationship with this service manager. His reply below.

Got the picture of the dash lighting from you, looks like it is out of the sales brochure, Checked yours against 4 , yes 4,

other 2014 trucks, none of them have backlighting rings around the 3 knobs,Not sure why they look illuminated in the picture.4wd auto noise. To be honest, I couldn’t hear it, took Katie along, 20 year old female ears, She could hear it every time, drove another 2014, she could hear it on that one too. I could hear the same noise when engine is off and changing from 2wd to 4wd, Contacted tech assistance, they have no cases or complaints on this yet, He seem to think it is a normal electric motor noise as the encoder is applying and releasing the internal clutchesIn the transfer case, no fix at this time, Sorry buddy.

Posted here and another area on problems talking about lighting.

A for effort to that service mgr

I am also experiencing this same noise when switching to 4 wheel drive. It never made the noise at the dealer, but I could easily hear the noise off and on yesterday (relatively young ears). It seemed to come from the switch area on my truck.

Here's the response I got from Jennifer from GM:

Regarding the squeaky noise, I was able to reach out to the service manager. They did reach out to our engineers where they did determine that the noise that you are experiencing is normal electric motor noise.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

So apparently Chevy is calling this a normal noise and we need to put up with it. Baffles me that that they'd bill this as the quietest truck out there. I can see the asterisk now. ****quietest truck from the outside world *****However our "normal" operation in 4wd/Auto may cause some owners to go bat s**t crazy. GM needs to fix this and not call it normal, as I've owned many 4wd verhicles and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this.

Here's the response I got from Jennifer from GM:

Regarding the squeaky noise, I was able to reach out to the service manager. They did reach out to our engineers where they did determine that the noise that you are experiencing is normal electric motor noise.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

So apparently Chevy is calling this a normal noise and we need to put up with it. Baffles me that that they'd bill this as the quietest truck out there. I can see the asterisk now. ****quietest truck from the outside world *****However our "normal" operation in 4wd/Auto may cause some owners to go bat s**t crazy. GM needs to fix this and not call it normal, as I've owned many 4wd verhicles and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this.

Well this is my next question....when in auto 4WD can you feel a difference or feel a change when accelerating? Ive owned a Z71 with auto 4WD and this thing has a groan and whine when in auto 4WD. i though in auto it kicks on when needed??

Jennifer T. Thank you for your attempt to find the source of this noise. I am an electrician that troubleshoots cncs by day and deal with stepper motors, encoders, and resolvers frequently. Some can make noise, and if the one in our trucks does, GM has selected the wrong part supplier. Seeing how many have noticed this, I feel it's only a matter of time before it's a recall. This noise is in no way acceptable on a vehicle.

Mine is doing the exact same thing in 4 Auto. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS. Thank goodness everyone seems to have this issue. I was really getting worried.

I would agree with others in that this is not acceptable. I've owned 5 trucks now and this one is the only one that's had anything like this. I simply hate that squeaking sound.

I've been around enough electric motor variations in college to know that this is not a healthy noise. It should not be "normal."

There is a possibility that whoever checked out the problem couldnt hear the entire high pitch frequency range.

Archived