Question

"ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK"

Has anyone ever came across this before?

Let me start from the beginning. On 11/2932013, halfway on my drive from work to home, I noticed that my truck would "sputter" and the rpm would fluctuate when giving it some gas while going up a hill/incline (interstate). Once I was done with the hill/incline, everything would smooth out. Closer to home, once again, I would only notice the "sputter-like" reaction and rpm fluctuating slightly when giving it gas to climb a hill/incline. Made it home fine with no problems or warnings/lights. Upon embarking to work the next morning (11/30/2013), at approximately 5-6 miles from home, I went to give the truck some gas to get above 60 and all of a sudden all these warnings and dings starting going off. My engine warning light illuminated and my traction control light came on and I noticed some warnings scrolling through at the bottom saying: "ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK". it blew my mind! Meanwhile, I noticed my truck slowing down no matter how much gas I gave it. I was coming to a road intersection just ahead and preceded to turn around and pull over to investigate. I couldn't understand what was going on so since I was close to home, I just "limped" it back home and not getting over 40-45 mph. Got home and shut engine off and called my job. I went back out later before my ride got there to pick me up, and started my truck. It started fine and I didn't notice any "sputtering" like before, however the engine light is still illuminated. I can't do anything until this Wednesday anyway. Is there someone that has come across this before? The day it happened I Google'd to my heart's content and found that I am not alone, however I did notice that there can be a number of things that could cause this. Would any of this be covered under a warranty? How would I know if I still have warranty on my truck? I need some expert advice on this. Here is my truck info to the best of my knowledge:

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT

Taupe Gray

5.3 L V8

Crew Cab

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

:confused: R. Ashley

my 08 did the same thing with the tps sensor issue. since it was out of warranty and you have to swap the entire throttle body (little expensive) i just took the tb off and cleaned it real good. CEL reset itself and problem solved.

Until the AFM failed and didnt reactivate #6 lifter wich chewed up the camshaft. and so on. 3K miles out of warranty. rebuilt top end of the motor. deleted AFM and added a cam and other stuff. gained 75 whp and installing a magna charger this month.

Hey guys I saw the post and it was very familiar to me. I was also freaked out when my check engine light came on recently and the traction control icon and service stabilock system came on. Apparently anytime the engine has a problem it goes to Limp Mode and turns off those 2 systems for safety I guess. Anyway my truck is a 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 crewcab with the 5.3 LH6 (aluminum block) with 86,000 miles. The engine had fouled cylinder #1 spark plug P0301. Has had a oil usage problem since I bought it in 2011 with 27k on the odometer. I had read that 1 quart every 2k miles was considered normal by GM so I never really worried about it i just made sure and check if from time to time and kept it full between oil changes BUT if it is going to foul the spark plugs I have an issue with it now. I am seeing lots of posts on the internet from people with the same issue. I just joined this community and will continue looking around. Would love to get some feedback on how common this excessive oil usage really is.

Does anyone have information on the recall on this issue, where I can find the information online. I drive a 2009 Silverado Z21 with 53,000 miles, and have started to have this exact problem. Out of nowhere the Service Stabilitrak, Stabilitrak Off, and then Engine power reduced alerts come on. I usually park and turn off the truck, after about five minutes I will restart it, and it is cleared although the service engine light stays on for a day or so, then goes off. I kept meaning to call the dealer but kept putting it off (stupid!), now it is happening constantly and I've made an appointment for monday. I am afraid the dealer will try to screw me over (since I am... shocking... female!!!) Is this covered under the power train? Is there a recall? or a bulletin? Any information I can have before going to get it serviced would be greatly appreciated, I want them to know Im not a stupid girl!

I love my truck!

My next question would be why if so many people are having this problem (I have seen it in forums all over) why is there not a recall?, thankfully I have been in the city when this happens, at reduced speeds, but it could be dangerous for someone on a highway at 70mph. I have always been a chevy fan, but its disappointing to say the least.

My next question would be why if so many people are having this problem (I have seen it in forums all over) why is there not a recall?, thankfully I have been in the city when this happens, at reduced speeds, but it could be dangerous for someone on a highway at 70mph. I have always been a chevy fan, but its disappointing to say the least.

a campaign (not a recall) is for safety reasons ,,,,,,having the truck go to a default speed on the highway is ok because i think the govt would have input as to the minimum speed ,,,thats what i think anyways ,,,,

It is a safety feature (I know counterintuitive) that slows the vehicle and makes sure that the operator is aware there is a problem. Anytime you have a misfire or other serious code the computer automatically sends the vehicle into LIMP MODE. They will be able to pull the code and get you fixed up at the dealer. My 2009 fouled a spark plug and did this exact same thing it kinda freaked me out too. That truck was a oil burner and that was the last straw for me. I got mad at my truck and traded for a 2014 Sierra cost me a fortune. I do not recommend that unless you have a lot of extra cash these new ones are horribly expensive. On your 2009 there is a TPS sensor bulletin out there for which you should have received information in the mail on that could be your problem. Good Luck and if you get a minute please let everyone know the resolution.

If I had those kind of problems, the LAST thing I'd do is to back to GM for another newer one ... :shakehead: I would've at least gave Ford or Dodge a shot ... just MHO. Why reward bad behavior?

I'm running my '07 until it falls apart. At 66k miles and the history I've had with it, that should be any day now ... :noway:

If you hung around any forum dedicated to a specific brand, you will only hear complaints regarding that vehicle. Reading 3 or 4 people with the same issue, in the same location, may look like a lot, but it really isn't. You need to understand that people generally only complain without provocation. You rarely hear/read the first message regarding something positive. In other words, people do not start a topic because they are happy about something. They either complain, or ask for help. It is the nature of a forum based site. Were you to join a Ford or Dodge forum, you would see the same thing. None of this is new, it is how humans are. It is just easier now to both post and read about complaints.

I don't see how this is dangerous on the highway. You lose power, you signal, take a look around for an opening, and pull off to the side of the road. What do you do when you get a flat, or run out of gas, or grenade an engine? At highway speeds, the gas pedal will not get out of trouble, it will just get you there sooner.

It is nice to finally see that they got the limp home mode to work. Since the beginning of electronic fuel injection, they have talked about how it will go into limp mode if an error occurred. I have had 13 new car/trucks, and 4 new motorcycles since my first fully electronic fuel injected vehicle. Of all those vehicles, none have ever gone into limp home mode. I have had 4 of them go into walk home mode more than once though. Those 17 new vehicles were made up of GM, Ford, Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha products. It was just the GMs and Fords that went into walk home mode. None of the bikes ever failed.

Having a similar issue on a:

2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Vortec Engine with 69,000 miles

Out Of Warranty

Uses Synthetic 5-30W oil

Change oil every 3000-5000 miles

Before I get to the main issues I'm having now, I should address some other issues I started having about 2 years after buying this truck.

At around 25,000 miles into owning this truck, it was consuming 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles or so. Nothing was done for this problem since that's within GM's specs. I started an oil consumption test, but the test was interrupted because my low oil light came on when I was out of town and I had to add oil. I also had an issue where my oil pressure would drop and I'd get a warning telling me to stop the engine. I took it to the dealer right away and they told me about a dirty screen or something in the oil pan. I seem to always have this issue now when it's time for me to get an oil change.

Anyway, I was driving home from work last weekend and all of sudden, my truck was really rough and I noticed the following warnings:

Service Stabilitrak

Service Traction Control

Check Engine Light

The truck would also shift very hard from 1st to 2nd gear. The engine doesn't sound very bad with the engine running at high RPM's, but it sounds like crap when at idle speed or at low RPM's.

I also contacted Onstar and they told me I had a P0304 message (cylinder 4 misfire) Oreily's auto parts also did a diagnostic and found the same issue. They gave me a print out stating that there is no known cause for this, but they also gave a list of possible solutions ranging from changing the spark plug, fuel injector and coil to replacing the engine! A little off topic, but when I got to Oreily's as soon as they opened that day, and a guy drove up right next to me with a similar truck having the same issue!

I tested my plugs with a spark plug tested and they all seem to be getting fire. I pulled the plugs on cylinders 1-4. Plugs 1,2 and 3 all looked the same with normal wear, but plug 4 was coated with black oil. I assume this why I was losing 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles.

I pretty much ran out of ideas on fixing this so I took the truck to the dealer and am waiting for a response on the problem right now.

I was told that MANY people are having these issues because of the unusually cold weather we've had here in the midwest. I was also told that this could be a major issue, but from what the mechanics at the dealers have seen in most cases, it's probably a sensor or something very minor.

I've talked to someone who told me that replacing his throttle body solved a similar issue for him.

Whatever the issue is, I just hope my engine doesn't need overhaul.

Edited by shalamigri

If I had those kind of problems, the LAST thing I'd do is to back to GM for another newer one ... :shakehead: I would've at least gave Ford or Dodge a shot ... just MHO. Why reward bad behavior?

I'm running my '07 until it falls apart. At 66k miles and the history I've had with it, that should be any day now ... :noway:

Just a lemon man I bought used at 2 yrs old with 27k on the odometer so I got what someone else had already figured out was a piece of crap. The company where I work tried the Ford / Dodge and even Nissan GM makes the longest lasting truck on the road. They run all GM products (fleet of around 30 trucks) now after learning their lesson with the others. I was watching them and learned also. Other folks just have to make their own path and decision, mine has been made by watching what went on for 34 yrs....... .

Having a similar issue on a:

2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Vortec Engine with 69,000 miles

Out Of Warranty

Uses Synthetic 5-30W oil

Change oil every 3000-5000 miles

Before I get to the main issues I'm having now, I should address some other issues I started having about 2 years after buying this truck.

At around 25,000 miles into owning this truck, it was consuming 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles or so. Nothing was done for this problem since that's within GM's specs. I started an oil consumption test, but the test was interrupted because my low oil light came on when I was out of town and I had to add oil. I also had an issue where my oil pressure would drop and I'd get a warning telling me to stop the engine. I took it to the dealer right away and they told me about a dirty screen or something in the oil pan. I seem to always have this issue now when it's time for me to get an oil change.

Anyway, I was driving home from work last weekend and all of sudden, my truck was really rough and I noticed the following warnings:

Service Stabilitrak

Service Traction Control

Check Engine Light

The truck would also shift very hard from 1st to 2nd gear. The engine doesn't sound very bad with the engine running at high RPM's, but it sounds like crap when at idle speed or at low RPM's.

I also contacted Onstar and they told me I had a P0304 message (cylinder 4 misfire) Oreily's auto parts also did a diagnostic and found the same issue. They gave me a print out stating that there is no known cause for this, but they also gave a list of possible solutions ranging from changing the spark plug, fuel injector and coil to replacing the engine! A little off topic, but when I got to Oreily's as soon as they opened that day, and a guy drove up right next to me with a similar truck having the same issue!

I tested my plugs with a spark plug tested and they all seem to be getting fire. I pulled the plugs on cylinders 1-4. Plugs 1,2 and 3 all looked the same with normal wear, but plug 4 was coated with black oil. I assume this why I was losing 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles.

I pretty much ran out of ideas on fixing this so I took the truck to the dealer and am waiting for a response on the problem right now.

I was told that MANY people are having these issues because of the unusually cold weather we've had here in the midwest. I was also told that this could be a major issue, but from what the mechanics at the dealers have seen in most cases, it's probably a sensor or something very minor.

I've talked to someone who told me that replacing his throttle body solved a similar issue for him.

Whatever the issue is, I just hope my engine doesn't need overhaul.

Wrong area for 2007 truck repairs but sounds like all you need is to replace the fouled spark plug. I could have driven mine for a very long time after it did this but it just did not make me smile in the mornings to go out and fire it up and drive it. Just go ahead and trade it on a 2014 if you have some spare change and stop fooling around with an OLD WORN out piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah excellent advice - buy go into debt buying ANOTHER piece of crap. :nonod:

I'll stick with my 40- 50 year old "junk" - at least I'll make it to work.

Wrong area for 2007 truck repairs but sounds like all you need is to replace the fouled spark plug. I could have driven mine for a very long time after it did this but it just did not make me smile in the mornings to go out and fire it up and drive it. Just go ahead and trade it on a 2014 if you have some spare change and stop fooling around with an OLD WORN out piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad for posting here.

Anyway, I did change the plug and wire. The coil and fuel injector is good too.

It's sad that we have to consider a truck that ran VERY good up til now with only 69,000 miles an old worn out piece of crap. LOL!

• Like 1