Question

"ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK"

Has anyone ever came across this before?

Let me start from the beginning. On 11/2932013, halfway on my drive from work to home, I noticed that my truck would "sputter" and the rpm would fluctuate when giving it some gas while going up a hill/incline (interstate). Once I was done with the hill/incline, everything would smooth out. Closer to home, once again, I would only notice the "sputter-like" reaction and rpm fluctuating slightly when giving it gas to climb a hill/incline. Made it home fine with no problems or warnings/lights. Upon embarking to work the next morning (11/30/2013), at approximately 5-6 miles from home, I went to give the truck some gas to get above 60 and all of a sudden all these warnings and dings starting going off. My engine warning light illuminated and my traction control light came on and I noticed some warnings scrolling through at the bottom saying: "ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK". it blew my mind! Meanwhile, I noticed my truck slowing down no matter how much gas I gave it. I was coming to a road intersection just ahead and preceded to turn around and pull over to investigate. I couldn't understand what was going on so since I was close to home, I just "limped" it back home and not getting over 40-45 mph. Got home and shut engine off and called my job. I went back out later before my ride got there to pick me up, and started my truck. It started fine and I didn't notice any "sputtering" like before, however the engine light is still illuminated. I can't do anything until this Wednesday anyway. Is there someone that has come across this before? The day it happened I Google'd to my heart's content and found that I am not alone, however I did notice that there can be a number of things that could cause this. Would any of this be covered under a warranty? How would I know if I still have warranty on my truck? I need some expert advice on this. Here is my truck info to the best of my knowledge:

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT

Taupe Gray

5.3 L V8

Crew Cab

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

:confused: R. Ashley

Just to share my experience to hopefully help someone else, we have experienced the same issues with our 2008 suburban. For several days we have searched and read countless sites trying to find what was causing the rough idle, stabilitrak warning, and the hard shift from 1st to 2nd... After going by advance auto, O'Reilly's, and Auto Zone and having them hook up the code reader, we kept getting several codes. From oil pressure sensor warnings (which I replaced first) to a warning related to the stabilitrak needing serviced. But the code that turned out to be the fix to our issues was the multiple misfires on our number 7 spark plug. One of the guys at AutoZone suggested that it was most likely the coil pack that was the problem. With the vehicle running rougher and rougher I (not a mechanic by no means) swapped the ignition coil pack on #7 with #5 to see if the misfire code would then switch to #5 as well. Running rough I went back to two different stores to run the diagnostics and it was still showing up as the #7 misfiring. At that point the automotive angel nudged me to go ahead and buy a new spark plug. After an hour of trying to find my socket wrench and busting a knuckle getting the old spark plug out, I was a little shocked to see the old spark plug corroded and pretty ugly to look at. I got the new plug in and crossed my first fingers... And upon starting her up she ran like a top. No more warning lights... No more service the stabilitrak errors... And everything seems to be great. Not sure if this will fix everyone's problem, but after $7 for a new plug and a skinned knuckle the problem seems to be fixed. Hope this helps someone and good luck!

I have 2010 Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 with 144k miles. On my way home, traveling about 65mph, I felt a bit of a shutter, then got the message "engine power is reduced" and the check engine light came on and the truck went into a "limp" mode. I coasted to the next exit, turned the truck off for a couple minutes and made it home. I took the truck to AutoZone and got the free diagnosis which turned up the code P2135 which is the code for the Throttle Position Sensor. They had the replacement (duralast) at AutoZone for about $46. Six clips off, six clips on, and 15 minutes later everything seems to be working properly. FYI RockAuto.com has the AC Delco replacement for about $29 plus shipping. Thanks for the help!

-Flip

Edited by FlipGallegos

Well this happened to me a year and a half ago at 90,000km. Out of basic warranty so I took it to an Autopro in town here....they sold me a throttle body and 900 bucks later I am down the road. Fast forward to a month ago and it happens again. Take it to a different Autopro and they inform me of GM's service bulletin....no charge. I run it down to GM and they pop on a new TP sensor and I am down the road. Last Friday it happens again...much swearing. Take it into GM dealer today (happened again today actually) and they tell me they: "cleaned connectors and added dielectric grease to harness, but if it happens again, you need a new wiring harness". What the heck?!?! Really? Oh and this visit was NOT covered by GM....cost me 2 hours labor. I see a Toyota in my future if I need a 1000 dollar wiring harness.

Edited by HMXDave

These error messages have occurred on my 2007 Tahoe three times over the past 5 years. The first time, the dealer replaced the throttle body sensor. The second time, no problem found :-(. Today, at the Chevy dealer who states the codes indicate the accelerator pedal sensor is at fault, $472 plus tax. Two days ago, we were 200 miles from home when the engine started stumbling, especially uphill in the mountains of Vermont and New York. made it to our hotel in Troy. Next morning, everything was fine, although I did search this blog and found the ability to turn off both Traction Control and Stabilitrac by holding the Traction Control button down for 5 seconds, until the display stated Traction Control OFF and Stabilitrac OFF. Drove without any problems the remaining trip home to PA. We'll see how long this fix lasts this time around.

Greetings All!

I have a 2012 Yukon Hybrid and it is scary what it has been doing to me. ENGINE POWER REDUCED, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, SERVICE STABILITRAK, SERVICE BREAK SOON... and all this happened while I am at a traffic light.... pretty soon everyone behind me was honking and.... as people drove around me. Nice looking SUV stuck at a traffic light. Engine would not start. Contacted OnStar for a diagnostic check and they came up with multiple codes... U0074, U1818, C0242...

Mind you this has happened before and the dealer replaced the EBCM and did a fuel injection service which cost me over a grand.

Please send me any and all helpful information that I can communicate to the service department.

Thanks,

DanG

I have a 2010 chevy tahoe bought it used not even a month ago. I was driving it yesterday service traction control came on then all the guages started to bounce up and down. I had no power push on the gas pedal nothing limped it to a parts store there computer could not link to it so no codes. Any ideas I havent even made my 1st payment yet 

Most parts stores scan your computer for free. Sounds like maybe torque converter not locking or unlocking when it should. Since your codes don't reference misses in the engine. Fuel filter has a bypass with newer vehicles so not that. Vehicle has a 3 year bumper to bumper. 5 year 50k drivetrain.