Sliding Rear Window - Which option/package?

I'm really confused. I have a Denali with 6.2 & everything but the rear seat entertainment on order but still don't have a TPW yet. When I was looking at them, one sales person who I bought a Buick from this summer told me that they had just gotten a "bulletin" saying that no trucks would be built with the sliding rear window. That wasn't a deal breaker for me since I'd probably never use it anyway.

But, I looked at the link in the above post http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com & it shows the Denali models as 2015 instead of 2014. I may have misread it but don't think so. Is it possible that since the first trucks came out in the summer & the Denali models are just now getting delivered that they're calling them 2015s?

You guys who have a Denali please chime in to clarify.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really confused. I have a Denali with 6.2 & everything but the rear seat entertainment on order but still don't have a TPW yet. When I was looking at them, one sales person who I bought a Buick from this summer told me that they had just gotten a "bulletin" saying that no trucks would be built with the sliding rear window. That wasn't a deal breaker for me since I'd probably never use it anyway.

But, I looked at the link in the above post http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com & it shows the Denali models as 2015 instead of 2014. I may have misread it but don't think so. Is it possible that since the first trucks came out in the summer & the Denali models are just now getting delivered that they're calling them 2015s?

You guys who have a Denali please chime in to clarify.

The funny thing with mine is the vin actually pulls it as 2014 Sierra Hybrid.

Confusion regarding the availability of the sliding rear window is keeping me from ordering a 2014 Denali. It is an important enough feature to me that if it is not to be made available again, then I will not likely be buying a 2014 GM truck. I would sure like to know for sure though.

I had a sliding rear window (manual slider) on a previous truck and it was invaluable for accommodating long lengths of mostly building material partially in the cab. And for flow through ventilation with minimal buffeting. And for the dog to jump back and forth ;-). There was even one time on a friend's truck where we put a 33' length of irrigation equipment through the rear window and up out of the sunroof so we didn't have to drag it on the ground. Not that I would ever do such a thing again, especially in a new Denali...

Confusion regarding the availability of the sliding rear window is keeping me from ordering a 2014 Denali. It is an important enough feature to me that if it is not to be made available again, then I will not likely be buying a 2014 GM truck. I would sure like to know for sure though.

I had a sliding rear window (manual slider) on a previous truck and it was invaluable for accommodating long lengths of mostly building material partially in the cab. And for flow through ventilation with minimal buffeting. And for the dog to jump back and forth ;-). There was even one time on a friend's truck where we put a 33' length of irrigation equipment through the rear window and up out of the sunroof so we didn't have to drag it on the ground. Not that I would ever do such a thing again, especially in a new Denali...

In the ordering guide, sliding rear RPO A48, still shows up in the 1500 Denali section. It does not show up in the 1500 Sierra section.

I always thought towing mirrors were the option required for carrying irrigation pipe. :driving:

With GM having pulled the sliding rear window retroactively on trucks that were originally ordered with it, I'm reluctant to place a lot of faith in the existence of RPO A48. Hopefully this will soon be cleared up conclusively, one way or the other.

This is temporary to my knowledge. There is constraint for that 50,000 vehicle "recall" for the window being inoperative. They are replacing those as priority which may or may not have affected the availability of the option...

Is gm recalling all of the windows in these trucks?

My dealer mentioned something that there was a tsb for the window that looked like it was converted into a recall. Are these windows that bad? I havent had any issues, knick on wood.

Is the failure mode with the regulator electronics or the cable assembly?

I wanted the sliding rear window not so much for the sliding window but for the defroster.

You can get a defrost only window without the slider.

My dealer told me that GM wanted to make the rear sliding window exclusive to Denail's only. This is why you can't find it anymore.

I want some of what your dealer is smoking. I call BS on their claim of only a denali thing.

My dealer mentioned something that there was a tsb for the window that looked like it was converted into a recall. Are these windows that bad? I havent had any issues, knick on wood.

The only thing I have read about failing on these so far are the wheels and cable mechanisms that open and close the window.

So I have a recent build 1500 All terrain SLT it came with the color matched rear bumper with the corner steps and the rear slider with rear window defrost. I called dealer and searched recall notices and can not find anything about the rear slider going bad. Any one have a website that explains it. Are they all bad or just a couple? Now I'm afraid to use it ,what if it dies in the open position,plastic bags and duct tape?

PS: called 5 dealers and there is no service bulletin or current recall for the '14 Sierra within my vin # range. Said to bring it in if I have an issue but none have seen any come in for problems related to this window

I sure hope they haven't deleted these for good !

I was hoping they would offer them on a regular cab eventually.....now it sounds like they are going the opposite direction....very disappointing.

I remember when you could get a sliding back window on every truck !

I want some of what your dealer is smoking. I call BS on their claim of only a denali thing.

The online ordering guide currently shows it only available on Denali.

Of course they can and do make changes weekly.

Hey jdvaughn,

If you would like to PM me your VIN I would be happy to check to see if your vehicle is part of any open recalls or safety bulletins.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A. (Assisting Jennifer)

GM Customer Care

mfleharty, on 05 Dec 2013 - 21:38, said:snapback.png

My

dealer told me that GM wanted to make the rear sliding window exclusive

to Denail's only. This is why you can't find it anymore.

Me too, everything I've read is that they are not adding these until they have enough parts for the fix that's current being used for those that have issue. I have one and use it regularly, haven't had any issues with it yet.

Mike

Archived