Heated seats not working

I have had my truck to the dealer a few times and nothing happens.

Dealer says...they are working as designed.

From what I understand, the 2016 work the same.

I'm finding my 2016 seats heat much more aggressively than the 2015 it replaced.

They both got hot enough I need to turn them down, but the 2016 gets there much quicker.

(the 15 was definitely slower than the GMT900 series it replaced)

Edited by redwngr

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am headed to the dealership next Tuesday to hopefully get my seat heaters repaired. After reading the posts I am not hopeful that I will get this issue resolved. I have a 2014 Chevy LTZ crew cab with over 22K miles. So far I have no complaints with the truck. The heated steering wheels works great! The seats were good until last week, I think it is weird that both seats went out at the same time. I usually ride by myself and the wife barley uses the heated passenger seat.

I also noticed how long it takes for these seats to heat up but didn't say anything to the dealer until driving a loaner Equinox. That particular vehicles seats where hot very fast. I decided that I paid 60k for a vehicle the heated seats should work better than this so I had the dealer look at it. Any guesses at the response? Working as designed.

GM..... it gets cold here in Canada. We turn on our heated seats on to warm our butts while waiting for the vehicle to warm up. Seats warming up after the vehicle is already hot is to late, your design is not satisfactory.

• 1 month later...

I also noticed how long it takes for these seats to heat up but didn't say anything to the dealer until driving a loaner Equinox. That particular vehicles seats where hot very fast. I decided that I paid 60k for a vehicle the heated seats should work better than this so I had the dealer look at it. Any guesses at the response? Working as designed.

GM..... it gets cold here in Canada. We turn on our heated seats on to warm our butts while waiting for the vehicle to warm up. Seats warming up after the vehicle is already hot is to late, your design is not satisfactory.

I agree even with heated seats turned on during remote start, it still takes that 10 minutes plus another 10 minutes driving to get any decent heat out of them. IMO that's terrible! I'm almost home by then so the feature is kind of useless to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On my recently bought 2014 SLE both driver and passenger seat bottoms weren't working. Dealer replaced them under warranty but I agree they take 80% of the duration of my trips to warm up. On the BMW I traded in for this the seats were toasty after 5 minutes, I'm lucky if I can feel these starting to heat up after that.

I recently had 3 of the 4 heaters replaced by the dealer. The 4th was replaced previously. I have a 2014. Per the dealer they are now replacing withe 2015/newer elements due to the issues with the 2014. He also stated that the new elements will not get as hot. The old elements were getting so hot they were melting holes. I have pictures of my burnt elements.

I agree even with heated seats turned on during remote start, it still takes that 10 minutes plus another 10 minutes driving to get any decent heat out of them. IMO that's terrible! I'm almost home by then so the feature is kind of useless to me.

Like everyone else, I thought mine were broken too. The problem is, they just don't warm much during a remote start BUT, just to prove they work during a remote start, I sat in the seat, did a remote start and waited. I started to feel warmth on my back in 4 mins, 3 mins later I could feel it on my butt. When the 10 minutes was up, seats were decently warm (20 degrees outside). So then I started it with the key, turned the seat on High and sat a few more mins, continued to warm up but then I had to go in. Was planning to see if they get hot enough to have to turn down. I don't think they do. Bottom line, they work, just not very well and even worse when the seat is empty - the "heat" is lost to the air since no one is sitting in it. It does appear though that many people are having a complete failure of the heating element which is easy enough to test. I am trying to find out if only a portion of the heating element can fail while the rest works - like 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/3 or 2/3? So unless GM decides to make the seat hotter during remote start, we're kind of screwed with a substandard heated seat. I did put a call into Chevrolet Customer Care to log my complaint. Who knows, if they get enough maybe they create a fix. I wouldn't hold my breath though. Number to call is: 800-222-1020

• 1 year later...

I recently had 3 of the 4 heaters replaced by the dealer. The 4th was replaced previously. I have a 2014. Per the dealer they are now replacing withe 2015/newer elements due to the issues with the 2014. He also stated that the new elements will not get as hot. The old elements were getting so hot they were melting holes. I have pictures of my burnt elements.

I have a 2014 and they never got that hot. My 2009 would get super hot even on just remote start and it was great.

My dealer told me both elements were dead in the driver seat but I know the bottom of my passenger also doesn't work so I need to check the fuses/relays etc. Anyone troubleshoot these already? I haven't finished reading back through this thread...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2013 at 6:07 PM, jnaugle775 said:

So an update, I got my truck back from my dealer today. They stated that they spoke with gm engineers. The engineers told them that they had received calls right and left on the issue and are working on a solution but for now they are "working as designed" I really hope they get this fixed as it's really chilly on a winters day and leather seats. At this point the service manger said he would contact me when he had new info but it likely would not be for months rather than days or even weeks. I love the truck but this has me questioning my purchase and the future purchase of a c7 corvette. I think i am going to keep my c6 for quite awhile! One would think that heated seats have been around for a long time this issue just really shouldn't happen on a new truck.

So did they figure out what the problem is, as we had the same thing happen to us.

I have read many posts on the topics of the heated seats not working in the 2014 LTZ Silverado.   With only 30,000 miles, always stored inside, and not a work truck, both of our seats also went out and the dealer can't figure out what is wrong, but they did charge us for diagnostics, and told us, the best option is to replace everything at a cost of a couple grand.     You would think GM would respect their customers enough to do a recall on this issue since there are so many complaints,  even if it is not a safety issue.   Did anyone get any answers as to what the issue really is?? 

Edited by jjmmbd

Are both your seats top and bottom not working?  If seems that if everything is not working it may be a module.  I had to change both cushions in my last truck and dealership changed my driver side cushion in my current truck under warranty. lThe dealership charged you for diagnostics and didn't figure out the issue?

2014's use a Peltier module for heating and cooling. ( basically the same module heat and cools by reversing the polarity) they suck. That's why they did away with that for 2015 and up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk