Heated seats not working

UPDATE to original post. Forget the voltage shedding theory.... the fricking things are broke & don't work !

Truck in for service 01/10/14 - issue with seat heat not working confirmed - dealer ordered new BCM

Truck in for service 01/31/14 - BCM did not fix - dealer ordered new heated seat modules - Special order ETA unknown ( translation - no parts available )

02/12/14 - Called dealer for update - dealer still has no idea when parts may be available or even if the modules will fix it .

Trying to go up the chain to get some answers - hate the fact I paid extra for a feature that lasted less than 6000 km's

Too many changes - been with Chevy too long should have gone with the competition. Then I could have other problems :( Should have gone with last years model...

There is an easy solution to high electrical loads in a vehicle equipped with many options, including heated seats:

Dual batteries and dual 160 amp alternators. Problem fixed. But GM wants to save that money and get away with high electrical load by using a single battery and alternator, and raise the sticker prices for higher profits.

Edited by pm26

There is an easy solution to high electrical loads in a vehicle equipped with many options, including heated seats:

Dual batteries and dual 160 amp alternators. Problem fixed. But GM wants to save that money and get away with high electrical load by using a single battery and alternator, and raise the sticker prices for higher profits.

Funny thing is, there is even a spot for a second battery.

Some guy bought a High Country at my dealer last week and both of his bottom heated seat are not working..

Mine still waiting to be fix... :M16:

Edited by block8head

Funny thing is, there is even a spot for a second battery.

Only has a 2nd spot because they moved it back to just in front of the passenger. This was done to protect it in a frontal crash so On-star still had power to operate. It was like that on my 09 as well. Some people added it to their 07-13 trucks. I bet it can be done with these too.

Edited by Blue Sierra Owner

Feb 20th Update:

Both seats do not have heat.

Heated Seat modules were rushed in after Calling GM Canada - Thank you for that .

According to service receipt the dealer they replaced only the drivers seat element . ??? No record of installing the modules ? what the hell is going on here ?

Now after picking up a cold ( -15 C ) truck from the dealer I drove for 10 minutes and still had cold butt.

After driving another 5 minutes and switching the seat heat switch between back only and full heat it seemed to start heating...bottom only. WTF ! Now My head is hot... in frustration !

Test drove again this morning - confirmed - Driver seat bottom has heat ( some- not great) no back heat and pass. side does not work at all.

Call back to Dealer and GM Canada ... this is getting old already.

I am asking to have seat assemblies replaced next.

To those of you with climate controlled seats. GM is not the only car maker having trouble with these type of seats. I have a 2014 Nissan Maxima. It has a CC seat that did not work properly. Most if not all climate controlled systems are made by http://www.gentherm.com/page/climate-seats. or maybe http://www.marlow.com/industries/automotive/seat-heating-cooling.htm

I believe all climate controlled seats are similar in design. They use what are called thermal electric devices (TED's) to generate heat and also to cool. The systems also uses ducts and a blower fan(s) to force the heated or cooled air into the seat. These systems appear to be puzzling the engineers and dealer service personnel. They are all looking for electrical issues such as faulty fans, control units or thermal devices. I believe that most of the issues are related to the ducting that carries the warm or cool air from the TED and directs it into the seat. If the ducting is not properly installed and sealed the heated or cooled air from the TED's escapes and is not applied to the seat. If you take your vehicle in, ask the dealer to check this ducting. It's probably easier to do on a truck.

I believe these seats are not manufactured by GM or Nissan but a third party that puts them together for multiple car makers. CC seats in infinities and Lincolns are having similar issues. If your GM seats anything like mine, they are not putting them together properly and this is causing the seats to not function properly. This is why switching out electrical parts like fans or BCM's has not fixed the problem. Changing the entire seat may fix it because then you may get a seat with properly installed ducts. The dealer repair people need to check the ducts running from the TED's to the seats.

You may find my story helpful.

http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generation-maxima-2009/674286-climate-controlled-heated-seats-mystery-solved.html

Edited by Maxdriver

Feb 20th Update:

Both seats do not have heat.

Heated Seat modules were rushed in after Calling GM Canada - Thank you for that .

According to service receipt the dealer they replaced only the drivers seat element . ??? No record of installing the modules ? what the hell is going on here ?

Now after picking up a cold ( -15 C ) truck from the dealer I drove for 10 minutes and still had cold butt.

After driving another 5 minutes and switching the seat heat switch between back only and full heat it seemed to start heating...bottom only. WTF ! Now My head is hot... in frustration !

Test drove again this morning - confirmed - Driver seat bottom has heat ( some- not great) no back heat and pass. side does not work at all.

Call back to Dealer and GM Canada ... this is getting old already.

I am asking to have seat assemblies replaced next.

Is the vibration and loose feel part of the seat OK?

Edited by pm26

To those of you with climate controlled seats. GM is not the only car maker having trouble with these type of seats.

The 14 Toyota Tundra's have a recall out on theirs right now. Hopefully GM will follow suit for those of you having issues as well.

Edited by CAtaylor

I am not understanding you comment ?

Sorry, I meant to say if you are experiencing loose seat or seat vibration problems as well. There are quite a few complaints about those.

Edited by pm26