Heated seats not working

heading in tomorrow for the 5th time on these seats, now the bottom has quit for the second time and the cooler doesn't work anymore. awesome truck.........not

So now your heated/cooled seats have become half heated seats.

• 6 months later...

I went into the dealer asking about issues with seat heaters. They said they haven't had any complaints. I said now you do! They want me to bring the truck in as they have a tool to check the seat. Yeah really. Glad I am not alone with this issue but disappointed everyone is having these issues. I will keep an eye on this post to see if any upgrades or recalls are announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Got 6k miles on my 2014 GMC Sierra SLT. Neither heated or cooled seats work properly. They provide a barely noticeable heat and/or cooling. Sometimes the back heats and maybe one leg of the seat, but most often it's only a smidgen of heat to the back. And the cooling is just as bad, if not worse. I took it to 2 dealerships. Both said it was working "normal". The technician at the second dealership said that he could barely feel the heat, however, it was "normal". While at that dealership, they brought out another 2014 SLT, and it had less heat than mine. So, they brought out a 2015, and it was worse than mine or the other 2014. As a matter of fact, the technician admitted that he couldn't feel any heat at all coming from the driver's seat. The technician then showed me a bulletin that identified the 2014/2015 heated and cooled seats as a different type than the system used in previous years models. The bulletin identified the heating element as a "self-regulating" element. The technician said that the element determines the appropriate heat for the seat. I asked the perplexed technician why GM provides a switch that allows the driver to adjust to 3 levels of heat, if the heating element self-regulates. No answer. The service manager apologized saying that the vehicle appears to be within "normal" standards. I'll also add that they said that the clicking sound in the engine at idle (like valves clattering) is "normal" and a result of a high-pressure fuel injector. I was told that the rough shifting transmission is "normal", because it is an "adaptive" transmission. It's supposed to adapt to a driver's method of driving within a few thousand miles (yeah, right!). I've driven my Sierra for over 6k miles now, and it still shifts as rough as ever. To date, I've always been a GM advocate having bought primarily GM products all of my 66 years of life. I didn't pay such a large sum of money for this truck, so that any apparent defect could be explained away by simply saying it's "normal". If this is "normal", then I'm sad to say that I'll not be looking at any more GM products ever again.

Got 6k miles on my 2014 GMC Sierra SLT. Neither heated or cooled seats work properly. They provide a barely noticeable heat and/or cooling. Sometimes the back heats and maybe one leg of the seat, but most often it's only a smidgen of heat to the back. And the cooling is just as bad, if not worse. I took it to 2 dealerships. Both said it was working "normal". The technician at the second dealership said that he could barely feel the heat, however, it was "normal". While at that dealership, they brought out another 2014 SLT, and it had less heat than mine. So, they brought out a 2015, and it was worse than mine or the other 2014. As a matter of fact, the technician admitted that he couldn't feel any heat at all coming from the driver's seat. The technician then showed me a bulletin that identified the 2014/2015 heated and cooled seats as a different type than the system used in previous years models. The bulletin identified the heating element as a "self-regulating" element. The technician said that the element determines the appropriate heat for the seat. I asked the perplexed technician why GM provides a switch that allows the driver to adjust to 3 levels of heat, if the heating element self-regulates. No answer. The service manager apologized saying that the vehicle appears to be within "normal" standards. I'll also add that they said that the clicking sound in the engine at idle (like valves clattering) is "normal" and a result of a high-pressure fuel injector. I was told that the rough shifting transmission is "normal", because it is an "adaptive" transmission. It's supposed to adapt to a driver's method of driving within a few thousand miles (yeah, right!). I've driven my Sierra for over 6k miles now, and it still shifts as rough as ever. To date, I've always been a GM advocate having bought primarily GM products all of my 66 years of life. I didn't pay such a large sum of money for this truck, so that any apparent defect could be explained away by simply saying it's "normal". If this is "normal", then I'm sad to say that I'll not be looking at any more GM products ever again.

good post. Like you I'm a new owner of a '14 SLT. It has 500 miles on it and I already zeroed in on the poor quality of the seat heaters. My car is parked outside overnight in the drive and the one doggone thing that SOLD ME on this truck was the remote start so when my butt hits that seat first thing in the morning i want it toasty. Well guess what. It's not...and I am not satisfied. I also noticed yesterday when I wore a lightjacket and it was a high of 32 degrees and overcast. That means my black leather seats were COLD when I left work to head home. After 10 mins into my commute the upper part of the seat back was NOT warming up and every other part was. At all. I just rolled the dice and took my chances on this truck after all the negative press with recalls and engines catching fire etc. Nothing is perfect but heated seats is not a new technology.

Think of the self regulator as a thermostat. Some people like butt roasting some like lightly toasted. You set the seat heater bars with the button "thermostat" and it regulates to the set temp. So instead of having power on all the time it shuts off when it gets warm enough and comes back on when it cools down. Another way to lighten the load on the alternator thus saving just a wee bit of fuel.

Edited by Blue Sierra Owner

Think of the self regulator as a thermostat. Some people like butt roasting some like lightly toasted. You set the seat heater bars with the button "thermostat" and it regulates to the set temp. So instead of having power on all the time it shuts off when it gets warm enough and comes back on when it cools down. Another way to lighten the load on the alternator thus saving just a wee bit of fuel.

That explanation of a "self regulator" sounds good, if it actually heated. But as I said, even the technician was astounded that he could feel no heat, regardless of what "bar" he put it on. And with all due respect, that bit about lightening the load on the alternator to save fuel sounds like something that a GM rep might say to explain "normal", because that's just not true. Are you a GM employee?

That explanation of a "self regulator" sounds good, if it actually heated. But as I said, even the technician was astounded that he could feel no heat, regardless of what "bar" he put it on. And with all due respect, that bit about lightening the load on the alternator to save fuel sounds like something that a GM rep might say to explain "normal", because that's just not true. Are you a GM employee?

No I don't work for GM or know anyone that does. The only reason I said that is they have the same regulator on the alternator. If you watch the amp gauge it will vary up and down depending on the power load. This has been said to save the battery from over charge and to lessen the load for fuel savings. I know it's a very very very small bit of fuel this may save if it actually was designed to regulate for that purpose. The small things add up to big things though. It's all about trying to get the most fuel mileage out of these trucks to please the customer and the Government.

I cant figure out how to get my heated seats to come on when remote starting in morning. even if I turn them on before turning truck off. heated steering wheel also. anyone figure out the trick to this. it was 27 this morning

Are you looking for them to be toasty warm when you get in the truck? Because that is not how they work now. The lights for the seat also do not come on when using remote start. I don't have the heated wheel but, I don't thin k it comes on with remote start from what I have read on here. It should be in the drivers manual if it does or not.