2015 COLORADO - MANUAL TRANSMISSION

unit731

Anyone guess/opinion as to why this very specific model? And only this very specific model?

"Chevy likely pleased many truck enthusiasts with a belated confirmation that it will offer a manual transmission, though only on the base extended-cab, two-wheel-drive WT model. GM's original press materials referred only to an automatic tranny."

LINK

If I had to guess they took the cheapest model you can get and added the manual to cut cost even more and give them a truck at a certain price point. I think you can get the Nissan or Toyota with a stick in a truck like that so this is just keeping up.

JUst a guess.

Fleet Sales.

Possibly the Fleet folks at GM know of some larger orders that might come in requiring a manual transmission.

Since the only manual offered will be on the Work Truck.

Few civilians/one buyers/no business - purchase any GM Work Truck.

We all want fancy trim/options - don't we?

JUst a guess.

Fleet Sales.

Possibly the Fleet folks at GM know of some larger orders that might come in requiring a manual transmission.

Since the only manual offered will be on the Work Truck.

Few civilians/one buyers/no business - purchase any GM Work Truck.

what company purchasing fleet vehicles would want manual trucks for employees to drive around?

majority of the GM trucks sold are middle trim level trucks.. trucks that are optioned for the 21st century with power windows, power locks, am fm cd, etc. if the majority of people didnt want any creature comforts or options, GM would not offer them

All of the larger fleet purchases around here that do have Colorado - are Work Trucks. Utilities, gas company, and other private fleets.

Never seen a one with power windows.

Might have an automatic transmission.

When I looked in 2012 the larger dealerships had multiple Colorado Work Trucks - none even had OnStar or satellite radio. The base WT radio did not have satellite radio.

As I stated above. The average Joe/Jane buyer does not purchase a Work Truck.

So Chevrolet - offering manual transmission in only the Work Truck and no other models only leans to the fleet sales.

Why would GM spend the money to design/manufacture a manual transmission and only offer on one specific model - and that a stripped version - and not offer the manual transmission option across the line?

Maybe there are export optioned trucks that US may not get offered.

GM likely already had the manual from the overseas trucks. There is nothing additional they need short of certifying the power train for emissions and such. They probably didn't offer it across the board because it makes zero sense to make the high line trim bits for a manual because there is no market for it. Hasn't been for years.

i dont see fleet trucks with manuals selling well at all. people that want a stick WANTa stick and would pay a premium for it. auto is so much simpler for fleet owners.

Sure they may pay a premium but there isn't nearly enough out there willing to do so.

So why is the manual offered only on the Work Truck and only on the Work Truck Extended Cab and only on the Work Truck Extended Cab 2WD?

Because the take rate is so low on manuals it makes no sense to fabricate the console and other bits needed to adapt the manual to the higher trim trucks.

I agree the take rate will be small.

But this is true for all of the vehicles that offer manual transmission.

But if GM has already done the design and engineering for this - why not offer across the board?

The difference between a Work Truck and all others is basically cosmetic.

My last Work Truck had power windows, power mirrors, FOB, cruise control, OnStar, etc.

The only options unavailable was the thermometer in the rear view mirror and remote start.

• 2 years later...

I don't. I just bought a 2016 Colorado WT stick shift. The one option I want that I can't get on this model is the standard fog lamps. That's an odd restriction. Anybody might want to buy the fog lamps.

So why is the manual offered only on the Work Truck and only on the Work Truck Extended Cab and only on the Work Truck Extended Cab 2WD?

In order to offer the stick with 4WD they would have to adapt the transfer case to a different transmission or have a different transfer case. Every variant has an associated cost, so it's an economic decision.

I like my 4WD Rodeo with manual 5-speed and manual transfer case, but I don't suppose there are any small trucks with that configuration anymore.

When I ordered my 2008 GMC Sierra 4X4 I got the Work Truck.

I had most options except Remote Start and Sliding Rear Window. I even got decal delete.

Power windows/mirrors, OnStar, XM Radio, and a few I forget.

I even got Green which was not offered in brochure/catalog.

Work Truck.

Nice truck except they couldn't fix the drivetrain vibration. New wheels/tires, new driveshaft, etc.

039.jpg

Archived