Wheel Offset & Tire Combo After Lift?

KUUG

I'm just curious what wheel/tire combo you guys are running after your leveling kits?

I installed the rough country 2.5 lift (http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-1303.html), which I recommend to everyone. Ride quality is fine and was very easy to install.

I tried to put on 20"x9 wheels with a -12 offset and 305/55/20 and they rubbed horribly.

I also bought a 1.5" body lift (http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-15in-body-lift-chevy-gmc-pickup/c9151) and it was not installed on the truck yet so I left the wheels and tires at the shop until the body lift was on; that will be finished this evening.

I'm hopping I can fit these after the body lift but not real sure. If I have to drop down tire size below 33" I will drop down wheel size also. I'm sure my problem is with the -12 offset but I want these for the pushed out look because I also have bushwacker fender flares to be added. I know flares look awful if the tires are sunk in too far.

I see that most of you are able to fit 33's but what wheel offset are you using? Thanks

I'll post pictures here when it is all finished

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only the offset but the backspace as well. I have some 17" wheels with a -12 offset and a 4.5 inch backspace and I'm wondering as well how much lift I will need. I'm trying to run 295 70 17 tires. It's either more lift or new tires.

I know some people have posted that they are running 34's with just a leveling kit, I'm sure they have to have a lot of rubbing.

I really don't want to start cutting up the fender wells after buying a $50k truck, but we will see.

correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the offset directly effect the back spacing? One increases and the other decreases the same amount?

My aftermarket wheels are 20x9 +18 and I run 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers with the RC 2". I have a very slight rub that I hope to fix this weekend by "pulling" the wheelhouse liner half an inch at just the right spot (still figuring out how to secure it there -- I might gorilla tape a washer to the backside of the liner and then run a zip tie through the washer and to nearby frame/body/whatever pulls the right direction).

Based on the fitment on my setup, I'm guessing you could do a zero offset wheel and this same tire size. Even then the outer edge of the tires still might not line up with your fender flares, though. The tires would stick out 2/3 of an inch more than mine. Seen here: (Warning, my front wheels were turned a little in this picture. Look at the back wheel.)

IMG_5518.JPG?dl=1&token_hash=AAH2KCdOB2N

If you stay narrow (like 65+ series) you can run 34" tires with just the RC 2" on stock-offset wheels (25+). I think one or two on this forum have reported _no_ rubbing with that setup. But you can't have that and still get the tire line to reach the aftermarket fender flares.

Thanks for the info on your set up.

With the wheels I want they only offer -12, +18, +25

Sounds like I will clear the 305/55r20 with the +18 offset after the body lift.

I'm not too worried about trying to fit 34's but I definitely want to clear a true 33, I don't want to settle for 285/55r20

I also like the look of the tire sticking out rather than fully tucked so I definitely don't want to go with any thing further than a +18 offset

Oh and isn't stock offset +31?

Sounds like I will clear the 305/55r20 with the +18 offset after the body lift.

Yeah that will work especially with your "extra" lift. Still don't know if the tire line will be out far enough to match your bushwacker fender flares. Let us know how it turns out!

Oh and isn't stock offset +31?

Yes that's right. The aftermarket offers +25 to +30 as "stock offset" replacements. No change in fitment from OEM offsets. (No appreciable change anyway.)

Also somebody else on here said that had rubbing on the control arm during a full lock turn. They had OE wheels and 305/55/20 I believe. I plan to check out my own set up for that soon. So just a heads up.

I just got off the phone with the shop doing the lift and it is ready to pick up; I plan to swing by the tire shop right after so hopefully I'll get an answer by tomorrow at the latest on the wheel offset.

The fender flares are not a huge concern, if they don't work out I'll just sell them. I do know that they add a little to the back end of the fender which is where I was getting the majority of the rubbing.

Here is a picture of it when fitting the wheels

post-125036-0-42881700-1386277155_thumb.jpg

Also somebody else on here said that had rubbing on the control arm during a full lock turn. They had OE wheels and 305/55/20 I believe. I plan to check out my own set up for that soon. So just a heads up.

That makes since if the tire is tucked more. I'm guessing you would be fine with the +18 but let me know what you find. I had an old 1995 with that same problem, I don't remember the offset but it was close to stock

Here is a picture of it when fitting the wheels

attachicon.gif20131111_173533ghshgf.jpg

Awesome wheels. Is that gloss black with chrome? Good match up with your truck color too.

Offset and Backspacing don't affect each other...they are interchangeable terms for the same thing. I wouldn't hold out much hope that the extra 1.5" will alleviate the rubbing all together. Should've gone with a 3". If the fenders are anything like the previous generation, you will ultimately need closer to 6" of lift to adequately clear a true 33" tire on aftermarket wheels.

My aftermarket wheels are 20x9 +18 and I run 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers with the RC 2". I have a very slight rub that I hope to fix this weekend by "pulling" the wheelhouse liner half an inch at just the right spot (still figuring out how to secure it there -- I might gorilla tape a washer to the backside of the liner and then run a zip tie through the washer and to nearby frame/body/whatever pulls the right direction).

Based on the fitment on my setup, I'm guessing you could do a zero offset wheel and this same tire size. Even then the outer edge of the tires still might not line up with your fender flares, though. The tires would stick out 2/3 of an inch more than mine. Seen here: (Warning, my front wheels were turned a little in this picture. Look at the back wheel.)

IMG_5518.JPG?dl=1&token_hash=AAH2KCdOB2N

If you stay narrow (like 65+ series) you can run 34" tires with just the RC 2" on stock-offset wheels (25+). I think one or two on this forum have reported _no_ rubbing with that setup. But you can't have that and still get the tire line to reach the aftermarket fender flares.

How do you like those tires? Does the truck ride worse with them? What about mpg?

I love the tires. I love the way they finish the look of the truck. The stance is perfect for me with those tires and the half inch reduced offset in the wheels.

But the ride isn't quite as refined as before. The bumps in the road feel a little bit sharper now. The Nitto's are E rated LT's, and the OE tires were XL rated passenger tires (all terrains).

I've been meaning to experiment with tire pressures but haven't done it yet. I run about 42psi now. The ride is still really nice. The tires are quiet, too.

My mileage dropped by 2.5 mpg. And I am especially glad now that I got the 3.42 rear end because I have noticed the gearing reduction effect of the taller tires as well as the serious extra weight.

Jeff

Offset and Backspacing don't affect each other...they are interchangeable terms for the same thing. I wouldn't hold out much hope that the extra 1.5" will alleviate the rubbing all together. Should've gone with a 3". If the fenders are anything like the previous generation, you will ultimately need closer to 6" of lift to adequately clear a true 33" tire on aftermarket wheels.

Not really true. They are separate measurements.

post-43546-0-73867500-1386303417_thumb.jpg

Archived