GMC Sierra-3.73 rear axle question

Using the Build & Price feature on www.gmc.com I can not order a 5.3 liter crew cab SLT 4x4 with the 3.73 rear axle. On the Chevrolet website you can still order the Max Trailering Package that includes the 3.73 axle but I don't want a Silverado. Does anyone know if it is still possible to get a 1500 Sierra with the 3.73 gears? Is this one of the options that is on national constraint due to supply being limited or is it possible that a dealer can still order but it just isn't showing on the website?

Thanks,

StormH2Oguy

For the GMC's, the 3.73 is included with and only available with the max trailering.

Not available on 'Sierra' trim level, but is available on SLE and SLT, and require 5.3 or 6.2

Thanks. I just looked up this option package online and noticed that it also includes larger capacity rear springs. I drive about 40k miles each year, mostly unloaded, and wonder if this would make for a harsher ride. It may be in my best interest to stick with the 3.42 rear axle for that reason.

About 6-7 times per year I tow an 18' equipment trailer loaded with a 40 hp tractor and bush hog to our hunt club. Which is about 50 miles from home. I think the 3.42 paired with the new 5.3 will do just fine. Any thoughts?

For 40,000 per year unloaded and only a few 50 miles trailering trips I'd also stick with 5.3 w/3.42 -- I might even consider the 3.08's.

3.08 is horrific for any towing instance or for SOTP get up and go compared to the 3.42. Not point in getting them if you plan to do ANY work w/ the truck other than freeway cruise control driving.

yea the 3.42's should be fine for the towing you will be doing.

DO NOT get 3.08's I don't even know why those are offered. Literally the worst axle ratio. It will give you cancer.

Thanks. I just looked up this option package online and noticed that it also includes larger capacity rear springs. I drive about 40k miles each year, mostly unloaded, and wonder if this would make for a harsher ride. It may be in my best interest to stick with the 3.42 rear axle for that reason.

About 6-7 times per year I tow an 18' equipment trailer loaded with a 40 hp tractor and bush hog to our hunt club. Which is about 50 miles from home. I think the 3.42 paired with the new 5.3 will do just fine. Any thoughts?

I have a 203 with the 3.08 and the truck has a ton of acceleration empty and loaded with a trailer. I have hauled 8000 lbs easily with the 3.08. The six speed tranny really makes up the difference. I am not sure why people here bash it insisting a 3.42 or 3:73 is the only way. Back in the 90's you were only cool if your truck had a 4.10 or 4.11 gear. The technology in this transmission is awesome. Can't wait to get an 8 speed when they come out.

I have a 203 with the 3.08 and the truck has a ton of acceleration empty and loaded with a trailer. I have hauled 8000 lbs easily with the 3.08. The six speed tranny really makes up the difference. I am not sure why people here bash it insisting a 3.42 or 3:73 is the only way. Back in the 90's you were only cool if your truck had a 4.10 or 4.11 gear. The technology in this transmission is awesome. Can't wait to get an 8 speed when they come out.

Thanks NBSGMC. That's kinda the point I was trying to make - but you've said it clearer.

The OP is talking about 40,000 miles per year just driving, and about 500 per year local towing. For that application I know I'd be trying the 3.08's. Even if it is less than ideal for the short tows, the 3.08 will be a benefit for the other 40,000 per year..

If it turns out he doesn't like it for towing maybe someone else from the club can pull the trailer and weed cutting equipment to the club the few trips/miles per year required.

Archived