Mine has this too as well as more than half of the vehicles in the lot and also on the showroom floor. Crappy design on the topcover clips to the IP. Easily fixed if they did their proper initial testing. They are so focused on Arizona extreme temperature influences they forget that more than half the trucks are exposed to freezing temps.

I used to work in automotive as a Quality Engineer and witnessed first hand the buy-offs that are agreed to between the OE vendors and the GM Product Engineers/assembly QE's. I'm not surprised one bit by this and I too am waiting just before my 3 year bumper to bumper warranty comes up to get a new topcover. Make sure you ask for BSR tape as well while you are at it.

Thanks for the offer Phillip. My dealership has replaced the piece and it is better. I have been setting a heavy glass paperweight on that dash area when I park the truck and I think maybe that will train it to stay down after a few months? GM customers are very creative! If that does not work then maybe GM will have a redesigned part before my warranty runs out. Either way it is not a deal breaker I absolutely love the truck it is an amazing engineering feat. As complicated as these machines are I fully expect some small quirks to appear. Somewhere at GM there is a guy in the VIS engineering department that has an idea how to easily fix this if you could just find him and get him to talk..................

I found this old thread from 2013/ 2014 about a dash plastic cover misalignment. I have a 2016 Denali manufactured January 6th 2016 that I just had the dealer replace the plastic cover in front of the dash pad. It was raised up well above the dash pad right in my line of sight as I drove. The new one is also slightly raised but the dealership says that area does not have a fastener it is about 1/2 way between fasteners and nothing more that they can do (IT IS NORMAL). Looked at several new trucks and if you press in on that area yes they are all loose and probably prone to warping in certain temperature conditions. GM if you are listening you need to add a fastener at the end of the defrost vents. Was hoping that GM might come out with a redesigned plastic cover? BUT after seeing this thread from THREE YEARS AGO it really does not appear to be a GM priority LOL. I could not find any other threads for this but might have missed them???

Here is a pic of the dash of my $59,768.00 MSRP 2016 Denali

attachicon.gifdash plastic alignment 12-21-16.JPG

My dash has that same lifting, same spot annoying as hell. I prefer the rejects here locally don't touch my truck though.

• 1 year later...

Looks like most people just ignore the plastic piece warping. Just so you know the 2017 Denali Ultimate does the same thing as the 2016 Denali did irritates me I am hoping that my new dealership will replace it and this time I am going to ask for the BSR tape be applied at those weak spots (I assume that BSR is just a really good double sticky back tape?) maybe it will stay down then.   

I started to get an annoying rattle in my '17 Sierra SLT over the last couple of weeks.  It seems to get worse.  I narrowed it down to this piece of plastic.  When I hear the rattle I push down on it while driving, not the safest thing to do, but it suppressed the rattle.  Has anyone else experienced rattles with this defective piece?  I am thinking its the clips holding it loosened up.  Not happy about it with only 13, 000 miles on clock.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2018 Denali with less than 100 mile on it.  Just bought it yesterday.  The dash panel is warped in two places on both sides of the defrost vent.  I went back to the dealer today to address it.  The salesman acted like he had never heard of this issue.  We took the truck over to the Service Dept.  The CSR stated that the manager was on vacation and they would have to wait until he returned to address my issue.  I do not feel that this is acceptable.  My 2017 SLT Premium Plus didn't have this problem.  I think the warping is due to extreme heat.  I bought my 2017 early in the year and kept a heat shield on it to reduce inside temp.  The Denali most likely sat on the lot most of the year without protection leading to the warping. 

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2953.JPG

On 4/12/2019 at 8:12 PM, Mastersparky17 said:

I have a 2017 Chevy Duramax and the dealer has replaced the whole dash twice and the plastic strip 3 times and still warps on the corners of defrost, very frustrating and the OCD doesn't like it very much haha 

Well I dropped off my Denali today.  The CSR first said that it would just be a couple of minutes.  Just needed a couple of clips.  I'm thinking "okay... I'll play this game"  the service dude returns in about 30 minute and says that its going to be a few days and sets me up in a new 2019 AT4.  Dammit those 2019's are nice.  I'm like... take your time lol

Edited by chriswolf63

My Denali has been in the shop all week.  I just got the dreaded "We have to remove and replace your dash" call.  My Denali had 419 miles on it when I dropped it off on Monday morning.  After I got the call from the Morgan GMC CSR, I contacted the General Sales Manager to look into a buy back.  He wasn't very receptive to my buy back proposal, stating that GM will not accept a buy back until a repair attempt is made.  So it appears that I am stuck with a brand spanking new GMC Denali that will have the dash ripped out of it.  I'm not a happy camper right now!!  Looks like this will be my last GM vehicle.  My business will go elsewhere and I will tell everyone I know about the very unpleasant experience with the GMC Flagship Denali Sierra.

IMG_3022.JPG

Edited by chriswolf63