All Terrain Truck Tire?

Crooks

I am looking to get some all terrain tires probably 275/60/r20 I could fit 275/65 but want to the weight close to stock. On my old truck I had Goodyear AT that wore to fast. Then I got BFG TA which wear and preform great but I dont see them in 60 and dont want the added weight of 65. The Goodyear LS2 on the truck now are junk. So I think am staying away from Goodyears. Snow, ride, and wear are the top requirements. The trucks got four wheel drive and any AT should be good enough for the off roading I will do.
Max tire size is 33.7" x 11.22" on stock rims. Stock tires weigh 40 pounds
Here are some I have found so far. Any opinions?

Pro Comp Radial All Terrain - 275/60R20
Michelin LTX M/S2 - 275/60R20
Michelin LTX A/T 2 - 275/60R20
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - 275/60R20
Toyo Open Country A/T - 275/60R20
Nitto Dura Grappler 275/60R20
Nitto Terra Grappler 275/60R20
Cooper Tires Zeon LTZ 275/60 R20

I live just outside of Chicago. If your location isnt next to your name please tell me where you are. Florida people dont need to tell me how their tires do in the snow.

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on had them on 3 trucks now. I really like them, they can be a little slick when the roads are first wet with oil, after that though they are fine. Did great in the snow/ice we had over the last 4 days here in OKC.

Out of that list the Michelin LTX AT2 for sure. Had them on snowpack last winter and they worked great. Super quiet and great ride.

With snow your primary concern have you considered getting a dedicated snow tire? All terrains will handle the snow but snow tires would be even better.

I know you said a/t but I just bought Hercules m/t and I love them.. I work in Chicago and today with some snow slush on the road they worked great.. Great price too... But on the other hand I had nitto terra grapplers and wasn't fond of them.. Wore extremely fast and look used when u purchase brand new. Just my .2$

Matt,

Cooper also has the A/T3 in 275/60/r20! I had a set for 11k miles on our '10-1500 (275/65/18's LT C range) that I liked very much in the snow! Wear was very good, though the miles were mostly highway. Travel was in between Mid Mi all the way up outside of Sault Ste Marie, Ont about an hour into the bush where my In-Laws camp is.

In the U.P. a buddy in his Suburban ('09 1500 4x4) was having slight trouble with the roads, while we hadn't noticed it was as slick as it was with the Coopers while in our '10 1500 CCSB 4x4. Both trucks had fairly new(er) tires. Theirs a set of BFG, more of a road friendly tire (can't remember specific model!).

55k mi tread warranty on the A/T3's!!! Patiently waiting for Cooper to make a 265 or 275/60/20 for our new 2500HD! Otherwise I will get a set of factory 18" rims for a set of the A/T3's!

Chris

Those look good. How much did they run you?

I thought about dedicated snow tires but I am putting a 2.5" level and will want taller then stock tires in the summer also. I hope to trade this truck in by the time I wear out one set of tires.

Of the tires listed I'd go with the Coopers. But since you're leveling it out I'd go up to a more common size and open up more options. I've got Firestone Destination A/T's on my truck now and I've been snow driving all week with no issue here in Kansas. Firestones can be expensive but I caught them at a time they were having a sale and got a good deal on mine. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

And a side note- I had a set of Terra Grapplers on my truck when I bought it and HATED them. They're loud for an AT tire, terrible off-road for how aggressive they look and wear unevenly and quickly. The Firestones I have now are much quieter and handle the street better but without even a shadow of a doubt they're much better off-road, too. Nitto make an awesome mud tire, but their all-terrains just suck IMO.

I am looking to get some all terrain tires probably 275/60/r20 I could fit 275/65 but want to the weight close to stock. On my old truck I had Goodyear AT that wore to fast. Then I got BFG TA which wear and preform great but I dont see them in 60 and dont want the added weight of 65. The Goodyear LS2 on the truck now are junk. So I think am staying away from Goodyears. Snow, ride, and wear are the top requirements. The trucks got four wheel drive and any AT should be good enough for the off roading I will do.

Max tire size is 33.7" x 11.22" on stock rims. Stock tires weigh 40 pounds

Here are some I have found so far. Any opinions?

Pro Comp Radial All Terrain - 275/60R20

Michelin LTX M/S2 - 275/60R20

Michelin LTX A/T 2 - 275/60R20

Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - 275/60R20

Toyo Open Country A/T - 275/60R20

Nitto Dura Grappler 275/60R20

Nitto Terra Grappler 275/60R20

Cooper Tires Zeon LTZ 275/60 R20

I live just outside of Chicago. If your location isnt next to your name please tell me where you are. Florida people dont need to tell me how their tires do in the snow.

You have a lot of good choices there. I'm on my third set of Toyos (two trucks) and they are by far the best tire I've ever had. They are almost like a mudder, but they are still quiet on the freeway and give great performance off-road, in the rain, and in the snow. On my last truck they lasted 55K miles and still performed like new. They also come with a tread wear warranty (which they exceeded) and a money back guarantee (from Toyo) if you don't like them. I have always had Discount Tire special order them for me because it's worth the hassle.

In case you're wondering, I first started using the Toyos on my 07 Tundra because they were the only ones who made a 35" A/T that would fit on the stock rims. Sure they had a good reputation, but it was really dumb luck that they performed so well. Once I learned how good they were, that's all I've bought since.

By comparison, BFG A/T KO (not on your list) is highly rated and popular, but they sucked. They were half worn after only 20K miles, and their performance was noticeably off after those same 20K miles. I actually ended up unintentionally going off the road into a ditch with the BFG's driving in the snow. So I ditched them for the Toyos and have never looked back.

Good luck with whatever you choose. The only other ones from your list I would consider would be the Michelins. I had them on an 01 Silverado with great results, even longer tread life than the Toyos. Depending on your needs, they might even be better for you. Do some research on Tire Rack and Discount Tire for customer reviews to help you decide. You won't find as many reviews out there on the Toyos as the Michelins, but everyone I know running the Toyos raves about them as much as I do.

BTW, Toyo will give you great customer support and recommendations on what air pressure you should run. Mine are a little bigger than the ones you're considering, and both Toyo and Discount Tire recommended I run 50F/45R empty and 50 all around when fully loaded on my 14 Sierra. I haven't done any heavy loads my first 12K miles so I've been at 50/45 and getting great results, just like I did with my Tundra.

Sorry if I was a little long winded. Enjoy your truck. There is more info in my signature block.

Archived