2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

On 1/9/2018 at 1:40 PM, RadoRage said:

Quick question...

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere but I want to do a low cost exhaust (cut out stock muffler and install new).  I dont know much about the dos and dont but can I revert to stock after doing that?  If I have a shop cut out the stock parts (muffler and flapper valve) and install a new muffler/straight pipe filler can the stock parts be welded back in pretty easily?  Noticeable change in tone when reverting back to stock?  Curious because I dont want to be stuck if the drone noise is really bad and I'm not ready for a tune (still have factory warranty left). 

If you are not 100% committed to installing an aftermarket muffler, my reccomendation is to have an exhaust shop remove the stock muffler, resonator and the V4 flap, but have them clamp the after market muffler you choose to install. Exhaust piping is pretty straight forward and easy to replace.

I currently have a flowmaster super 10 series race muffler on my 2014 silverado, it is the loudest aftermarket muffler flowmaster makes. Ive noticed that the 2014 and newer silverados have a lot of sound denizening and i have no complaints on any drone noise. Personally i like to drive with the tow mode on because it lowers the gearing and is more responsive. On a cold monday morning when im on my way to work and hit the cold start bottom, walking out to my truck sounding like a freight train always puts a smile on my face and pisses off my neighbors reminding them its time to wake up. 

I will be adding a sound clip soon. 

I hope this was helpful. 

Just installed a Corsa dB exhaust single exit on my 2017 5.3 and it sounds and looks great. The sound at cold start sounds like a lion and is super loud I’m sure it wakes my neighbors. It tones down a bit but sounds great on the highway and when you rev it up. Even on normal driving in city, the sound is nice and deep in certain lower gears, no drone or chopper noise. Highly recommend this exhaust and it won’t break the bank which is a big plus 

Are you running stock headers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody delete the resonator and clamp the valve open? From everything ive read and videos ive seen most people delete the muffler and leave the resonator. Thats a little loud for my liking, i just clamped my valve open. I will see if that made a sound difference. 

2 hours ago, Josh154 said:

Does anybody delete the resonator and clamp the valve open? From everything ive read and videos ive seen most people delete the muffler and leave the resonator. Thats a little loud for my liking, i just clamped my valve open. I will see if that made a sound difference. 

Let us know.  By the way, I also have the round valve that protrudes from the pipe on my '17.  How did you clamp it open, any pictures?  

I never tried it when my exhaust was stock. However after swapping the factory muffler for a Magnaflow that still was too quiet i pinned the valve open. It sounded much better open. I didn't have any drone, chop or resonance either way. I have the square valve that has small holes in it. I opened it by hand and stuck a hitch pin in it.. Worked great.
Yesterday I removed the stock system from the cat back and put a MBRB cat back on. Now that's loud lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Yes I have started and drove it once since clamping it open. Sounds much better at startup, idle and low rpm. Gets rid of that hiss sound and has a more pronounced deeper rumble. Debating on cutting my resonator off and leaving stock muffler on now. 

I have my flapper trapped open with the stock exhaust. It sounds a little better than stock but not really noticeable to anyone other than me. I did lose intake growl (AirAid MIT) since there is less back pressure. I am planning to do a full 3" single out exhaust this summer. Still working out the sound I want though and if I want to do headers at the same time.

I chopped my resonator off the other day. Stock muffler, valve open. Sounds way better! Stopped by my parents house and my dad asked me if I put exhaust on lol. I think I’m gonna run this setup for awhile. 

I did notice difference with intwke after exhaust mods, intake is still loud when you want to romp it. I used to get goofy intake noise when it would shift around town you’d hear a quick one second growl that was honestly annoying. That’s no longer there now. 

I chopped my resonator off the other day. Stock muffler, valve open. Sounds way better! Stopped by my parents house and my dad asked me if I put exhaust on lol. I think I’m gonna run this setup for awhile. 

I did notice difference with intwke after exhaust mods, intake is still loud when you want to romp it. I used to get goofy intake noise when it would shift around town you’d hear a quick one second growl that was honestly annoying. That’s no longer there now. 
Can you adding a clip sound?

I personally chopped the exhaust off from the 3rd cat back. Welded in pipe to the stock location of the muffler. Welded in a flow master 40 series single in dual out. Ran pipes to the back and tips. In the cabin. Can barely hear it. Outside the truck it sounds nice and aggressive. The v4 drone is there but I use my radio in my truck and don’t hear it that much honestly. Sometimes forget it’s there unless the radio is off. 

11 hours ago, jipi121 said:
On 1/30/2018 at 8:18 AM, Josh154 said:

Can you adding a clip sound?

Yeah man I will get one outside of the cab today. Here’s a video from in cab doing a wot pull. I have the 6.2, muffler only with flapper clamped open and a s&b intake. I’m also using the range device to keep it in v8 mode. 

https://youtu.be/OIDF7htwWsE

• Like 1

629EFA6C-B863-42CC-AE64-789B4AF1D3CC.thumb.jpeg.5407c9ba8a0f9b2105ed0672e46a24f0.jpegSo when chopping the resonator off on my 6.2 my exhaust is 3.5” going in and 2.75” going out to tail pipe. I didn’t put the tail pipe section back on with a piece of straight pipe. This leave the exhaust almost right at the bed where it stars to turn down. I bought a 3.5” to 4.5” 12” long tip to get the exhaust exit down a bit from the bed. I was starting to get a little black soot on the spare tire and frame, plus now you can actually see the exhaust a little if you really try. 

• Like 1

Ok I’m gonna order a new muffler. I like the sounds of the black widow venom 250. Problem is they only make it in a 3” version and my 6.2 has 3.5” going in and out of muffler. Can a shop expand the muffler to 3.5”? 

Also do I need center in center out? I thought I read somewhere that I need center in offset out. 

Ok I’m gonna order a new muffler. I like the sounds of the black widow venom 250. Problem is they only make it in a 3” version and my 6.2 has 3.5” going in and out of muffler. Can a shop expand the muffler to 3.5”? 

Also do I need center in center out? I thought I read somewhere that I need center in offset out. 

You’ll be fine with the 3”. I have a 6.2 also and have a 3” Dynomax bullet that’s dumped at the axle. The stock exhaust on the 6.2 has 2.75” pipe from the resonator to the tip and at the flapper, even though the majority of the piping is 3.5”.

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L
4.5" Zone
22x10 American Force Grips
33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Instagram @wildchevys