2014+ Exhaust Systems & Mufflers

I just had a Magnaflow 5x11x22 put on mine today. It is deeper at idle and a little deeper at speed, but not as much as I wanted. If it doesn't change over the coming weeks we are going to cut the after muffler resonator off and go from there.

I can only imagine that the sound is not what your looking for with the last resonator in place. As stated earlier, I'm running a straight pipe (muffler delete) and dB are a little louder but not by much.

• Like 2

Some of it is the truck, while inside the truck it is quite do to the engineering that went into the sound, it sounds a little better from outside but still not a loud enough growl for me....yet.

After Christmas I will be going down and having the resonator cut off with a straight pipe in its place.

Also I can tell you the stock muffler is very restrictive. That backpressure valve even when open takes up a lot of room. The is a half dollar round weight on the back of the valve that when the valve is open sticks up about 1/2" into the exhaust stream. There is also a mesh grate with filler that covers the inlet pipe before the exhaust goes into the muffler, all of that leads to restriction.

I would go w/ a catback for now rather than chopping up stock system to add just a muffler...yes the muffler would be much cheaper to get into, but if you don't like it now you're stuck w/ a hacked up stock system. W/ a catback you have you stock system intact which is always worth $$$ and a bolt-on catback you can always take off and sell for probably 70-80% purchase price.

There's a few options: magnaflow, flowmaster, corsa and borla I believe should be bringing exhausts to market.

And, you could always go custom - there's an outfit called "lou's custom exhaust" in new england that does it. Later for more power and more (actually different rather than just louder) sound you can add headers w/ hi-flo cats. Shorty headers are a waste of money.

I have a flowmaster catback w/ 50 series muffler and I have the pipes exiting the sides behind the mudguards - love the looks and the sound, no drone - which is huge. I know the magnaflow system you WILL experience drone unless you disable AFM. The magnaflow drone I personally could put up w/ but some may not be able to. I had magnaflow on my 2007 silverado 5.3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mzodarg- with the muffler delete does it sound good? I'm not looking for loud but a nice rumble, a guy posted a video of his truck under the topic "muffler delete" and I love the way that sounds.

Honestly, good is subjective. IMO, it's OK a little louder than stock, but the spring flap has to go. It is super annoying when it rattles and others have had issue with it sticking shut and their truck wouldn't start. After having a Solo exhaust on my 2010 2SS Camaro, quite frankly this sounds like SH!T.

The above is just my opinion, yours may be different.

Mike

• Like 2

I would go w/ a catback for now rather than chopping up stock system to add just a muffler...yes the muffler would be much cheaper to get into, but if you don't like it now you're stuck w/ a hacked up stock system. W/ a catback you have you stock system intact which is always worth $$$ and a bolt-on catback you can always take off and sell for probably 70-80% purchase price.

There's a few options: magnaflow, flowmaster, corsa and borla I believe should be bringing exhausts to market.

And, you could always go custom - there's an outfit called "lou's custom exhaust" in new england that does it. Later for more power and more (actually different rather than just louder) sound you can add headers w/ hi-flo cats. Shorty headers are a waste of money.

I have a flowmaster catback w/ 50 series muffler and I have the pipes exiting the sides behind the mudguards - love the looks and the sound, no drone - which is huge. I know the magnaflow system you WILL experience drone unless you disable AFM. The magnaflow drone I personally could put up w/ but some may not be able to. I had magnaflow on my 2007 silverado 5.3

I respectfully disagree with the catback system, IMO they aren't worth the money these companies are asking. Not for just an audible sound and no real gains.

Unless someone is going to performance modify their truck, IMO their wasting their money.

Flowmaster would be my last choice especially the 50 series. Again that's my opinion and obviously yours is different.

I put long tubes, highflow cats, solo performance exhaust along with a magnason root supercharger and an enclose CAI on my 650 HP 2010 Camaro. IMO, that's performance.

Just my thought's not intended to ruffle feathers.

Mike

• Like 1

My truck is a 06 but same concept applies to any truck here. I wanted something totally different than just a muffler...I wanted loud and dead quiet depending on what mood I am in. The only way to do that was to install an electric cut-out. I installed it after the cat, pretty much the only place it would fit on my truck with the constant curves in the pipes. The pictures show it before I put the band clamps on (not the u-bolt style), they also could have been welded on. The cut-out is 3" and the exhaust is 2 3/4" but I have an exhaust expansion tool and made the adjustments. I also added a 12" piece of curved pipe to cut-out flange so it didn't sound like I had a "hole in my muffler". Two cut-outs would sound better but I do not have true dual exhaust on my truck so this had to do. The whole set-up is above the frame rail even though the one picture angle makes it appear a bit lower. You can see in the background of the one picture my car has them 12" behind the header flange, that exhaust system is a true dual and is a whopping 3 1/2" all the way to the back bumper... :cool:

truckexhaust006.jpg

truckexhaust002.jpg

• Like 1

I have psoted on this subject in numerous threads, but I think it would be worthy to add my experience once again. I cut my system off behind the third cat and installed a 22" Magnaflow, single in, dual outlet, and custom made two pipes coming straight out the back, with 22" of 4" chrome at the ends. Actually the work was done by a first class Performance Exhaust Shop here in town. That eliminated the resonator at the rear which looks hideous in the right rear wheel well, and also eliminated the flapper valve. It is nice, tight, clean, and professional looking from underneath. It sounds real good and slowly getting better as I get more miles on it. It took me a while to realize it, but TJAY is right, it does sound better outside of the truck. Sitting in the cab with the windows closed, you don't hear half of the actual sound. I kept getting comments on my exhaust and couldn't believe it until I just had my son drive it down the street and back while I stood on the curb...Damn, it DOES sound good. The bottom line here for me...I would do the same thing again, in a micro-second! I only have 800 miles on mine, but it already sounds much better than it did at 400 miles.

Having said all that, no one approach is going to be the magic panacea for the perfect exhaust sound. Everyone has different expectations of what perfect is, and we all do hear things differently. I have Corsa Indys on my Vette along with high flow cats, and Melrose Ceramic coated long tube headers. And it is perfect for the Vette. I also had a Corsa system on a Hummer H3, with resonator eliminated and it did not sound as good as my Denali. Just sharing some of my personal experiences with exhaust mods. Good luck ot everyone with your choice. BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

OJ

• Like 3

I have psoted on this subject in numerous threads, but I think it would be worthy to add my experience once again. I cut my system off behind the third cat and installed a 22" Magnaflow, single in, dual outlet, and custom made two pipes coming straight out the back, with 22" of 4" chrome at the ends. Actually the work was done by a first class Performance Exhaust Shop here in town. That eliminated the resonator at the rear which looks hideous in the right rear wheel well, and also eliminated the flapper valve. It is nice, tight, clean, and professional looking from underneath. It sounds real good and slowly getting better as I get more miles on it. It took me a while to realize it, but TJAY is right, it does sound better outside of the truck. Sitting in the cab with the windows closed, you don't hear half of the actual sound. I kept getting comments on my exhaust and couldn't believe it until I just had my son drive it down the street and back while I stood on the curb...Damn, it DOES sound good. The bottom line here for me...I would do the same thing again, in a micro-second! I only have 800 miles on mine, but it already sounds much better than it did at 400 miles.

Having said all that, no one approach is going to be the magic panacea for the perfect exhaust sound. Everyone has different expectations of what perfect is, and we all do hear things differently. I have Corsa Indys on my Vette along with high flow cats, and Melrose Ceramic coated long tube headers. And it is perfect for the Vette. I also had a Corsa system on a Hummer H3, with resonator eliminated and it did not sound as good as my Denali. Just sharing some of my personal experiences with exhaust mods. Good luck ot everyone with your choice. BTW, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

OJ

My truck is a 06 but same concept applies to any truck here. I wanted something totally different than just a muffler...I wanted loud and dead quiet depending on what mood I am in. The only way to do that was to install an electric cut-out. I installed it after the cat, pretty much the only place it would fit on my truck with the constant curves in the pipes. The pictures show it before I put the band clamps on (not the u-bolt style), they also could have been welded on. The cut-out is 3" and the exhaust is 2 3/4" but I have an exhaust expansion tool and made the adjustments. I also added a 12" piece of curved pipe to cut-out flange so it didn't sound like I had a "hole in my muffler". Two cut-outs would sound better but I do not have true dual exhaust on my truck so this had to do. The whole set-up is above the frame rail even though the one picture angle makes it appear a bit lower. You can see in the background of the one picture my car has them 12" behind the header flange, that exhaust system is a true dual and is a whopping 3 1/2" all the way to the back bumper... :cool:

truckexhaust006.jpg

truckexhaust002.jpg

Unless your truck is highly modified IE.. headers, cams, supercharger etc. The cut outs are nothing more than a noise maker.

I almost installed them on my Camaro, but was please with the SOLO performance exhaust, Maggie and the mild cam set up.

Before maggie was installed.

Unless your truck is highly modified IE.. headers, cams, supercharger etc. The cut outs are nothing more than a noise maker.

That was completely the intention...I am willing to bet the truck even loses hp with them open all the way. I haven't taken it to the track after I installed it but I am willing to bet it runs the same or is slower now. Only mod to the truck is an altered air cleaner and a programar installed.

I have modified every exhaust system on all the vehicles I own from my bikes, 4 wheeler, cars, and trucks. Even track tested them so i have learned what truly works and what just makes a lot of noise... :) .

That was completely the intention...I am willing to bet the truck even loses hp with them open all the way. I haven't taken it to the track after I installed it but I am willing to bet it runs the same or is slower now. Only mod to the truck is an altered air cleaner and a programar installed.

I have modified every exhaust system on all the vehicles I own from my bikes, 4 wheeler, cars, and trucks. Even track tested them so i have learned what truly works and what just makes a lot of noise... :) .

I am the same as you, I can't leave anything alone. My wife drives a 2.0 turbo Malibu with the boost turned up to 21 psi Dynoed at 325 HP and 300 FT pounds of torque SAE smoothing 5. It's a fun car to drive!

I've also got 2 bad@$$ Harley's that are by no means stock.

Mike

Edited by mzodarg

I have my Magnaflow cat-back system off my '11 Sierra. And even though for my '14 is a different part number, it looks the same underneath. I thought about taking my kit to an exhaust shop and having them fit it to the new truck. They may have to bend some new pipe, but i'm not sure. Any idea how much is reasonable for a job like this?