11 replies to this topic

#1 sareljr

sareljr

Enthusiast

• 197 posts
  • Name:Sarel Pretorius
  • Drives:05 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, LS, EXT Cab, 6.0l Vortec

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I was just curious, do the block heaters only come on the Duramaxes from the factory or does my 05, 6.0l have a block heater too?

#2 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,742 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2011 Silverado 1500

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

I believe diesels get them as standard and all gas engines have it as an option. In some states/provinces the block heater may be a forced option. Look for a cord under the hood or pull back the fender liner and see if the heater has been installed in place of a freeze plug.

#3 sareljr

sareljr

Enthusiast

• 197 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Would it show on the original window sticker?

#4 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,742 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Would it show on the original window sticker?

I would imagine so. However if a dealer installed it it won't be there. Dealer/upfitter-installed items are typically on a smaller sticker that appears next to the main one.

#5 scooby5121

scooby5121

Enthusiast

• 427 posts
  • Name:Eric
  • Drives:08 GM 6L CrewCab Dually 4by4

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

Mine was not on the window sticker( which I still have)

but my truck had one......6L gasser.

#6 MORSNO

MORSNO

Enthusiast

• 107 posts
  • Drives:2012 Sierra SLT 2500HD 6.0

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

Block heaters are an option on 6.0's.  Most dealers in northern climates force them on all their orders.  I custom ordered mine here in Alaska, and the block heater was a forced option.  While filling out the order on GM's web-page it was an option, when finalizing at the dealer it was automatic.

2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71
Reflex Spray-In Bed Liner, Undercover Bed Cover, Undercover Swing Case Tool Boxes, Clear Car Armor Film, UltiMat DashMat, Rear Underseat Storage, Rough Country Stabilizer, F&R Dura Flaps, High/Low/Fog's All On Mod, 275/70/18 GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice WRT (Winter Shoes), AMP Power Steps, Torklift Stable Loads, HD Timbren SES, 2014 Wolf Creek Camper

#7 dewfpo

dewfpo

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous

• 1,774 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I ordered mine with a block heater.  It was a standalone extra cost option and I'm pretty sure it was on the window sticker.  If the dealer installed it after a sale it would not be.

DEWFPO

Edited by txab, 13 December 2013 - 10:09 AM.

2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#8 sareljr

sareljr

Enthusiast

• 197 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

My truck is a Colorado truck so it could possibly have one, where exactly should I look for a plug in? I've heard passenger fender well?

#9 crazydog

crazydog

Enthusiast

• 124 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Mine was an option which I chose.  However, found out later, the stupid thing only works below a certain temp even if you've got it plugged in ready to go??  So, since my garage rarely gets quite that low (I forget how low), I haven't used it yet.  I'd dearly love to give it a chance to warm up a bit before I start it many days in the winter . . but I don't get to choose.  Stupid.

#10 MikeNH

MikeNH

Senior Enthusiast

• 6,742 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Mine was an option which I chose.  However, found out later, the stupid thing only works below a certain temp even if you've got it plugged in ready to go??  So, since my garage rarely gets quite that low (I forget how low), I haven't used it yet.  I'd dearly love to give it a chance to warm up a bit before I start it many days in the winter . . but I don't get to choose.  Stupid.

It only turns on below zero degrees F.

#11 dewfpo

dewfpo

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous

• 1,774 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado 2500HD, CCSB

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

On my 05 8.1L gasser the cable is on the driver's side because the block heater in one of the freeze out plugs on that side.

From the factory they only energize below 0 degrees F on the gassers but that is easily fixed by cutting open the thermostat blister on the plug wire with a utility knife and sticking a small metal washer in there between the metal contacts.  So it comes on whenever it's plugged in or the timer comes on. That works and costs virtually nothing.  Or, you can go to NAPA and buy a regular block heater replacement cord that does not have the built in thermostat.  I've done both and they both work well.

DEWFPO

2005 Silverado 2500HD, CC SB, 4x4, 8.1L/Allison, 4.10's, Locker, Dual Batteries, 145 Amp alt., Bilsteins
Retrax Rolling Tonneau, Putco SS/Chrome Side Rails, Bushwacker Bed Rail Protectors,Husky Floor Liners

#12 MPCOA

MPCOA

Enthusiast

• 26 posts
  • Drives:2005 Silverado K2500 HD LT CCLB 6.6

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

It only turns on below zero degrees F.

Isn't that only true for gas engine ones though? 

And I should have read all the posts, since this was answered above 

Edited by MPCOA, 14 December 2013 - 12:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users