2014+ Lowering / Drop Kits

So I had my local shop put on a rear shackle kit to lower the rear of my truck down 2" and level it out. Truck looked great and around town seemed to ride fine. The truck is a 2014 Sierra crew cab with the All Terrain package (factory Rancho shocks).

While driving on our trip this weekend and hitting some decent bumps and dips in the road it has now become apparent that since the truck is now 2" lower that the shock is blowing thru it travel due to being lower in the shock valving. I called Rancho this morning and they confirmed this, they also said they are not sure if they will offer any options for a shock that needs to be 2" lower in the shock travel until after 1st quarter of 2014.

They suggested lifting the front as the better option (plus they were pushing their quicklift front kit which comes ready to go out of box and replaces the front strut assembly) or my other option will be to get the front spacer lift kit and go that route. Only other option it to get the stock rear shock mounting styles, the compressed and extended measurements and see if Rancho can come up with a shock that will work on the rear. Right now they don't have the full specs on this shock yet from their OE side.

Now I am on the fence, I hate to lift the front as it will look stupid since I have zero intentions of ever running a larger tire.

• Like 1

Changing the rear shocks would be ideal, but Rancho does not have the specs yet for the OEM shocks they are making for GM and they don't have an option yet. Only way to try and find something is to get the mounting types, and then the shock measurements and see if they have something that will work. Otherwise I may have to upgrade to the 5000 series which is their adjustable shock.

Exactly, I have zero plans of running a bigger tire and don't want the extra clearance in the fender wells making it look like crap. I also don't want Bilstien shocks either, truck has the Rancho shocks on it and I have used Rancho in the past so I plan on staying with them if at all possible.

why the hell do you want to lower it anyhow? If you want it leveled raise the front. The correct way to level it would be a suspension level not a block kit, use the leveling shocks from Bilstein rather than the crap rancho makes.

Dude what are you talking about?! lol nothing you said makes sense...

1) Lifting or lowering - it's a personal preference, what you think is your own opinion. Bet you're one of those people that think a lowered truck is ruined...

2) He didn't lower the truck with a "block kit". This is a full size truck, the rear end sits UNDER the leaf springs from the factory, a block kit would raise the rear.

3) He used lowering shackles to level the rear end, it's clearly stated in the original post.

4) If Rancho is crap then that sucks for you, your truck has the same shocks and suspension according to your signature since you both have 2014 Sierra All-Terrain's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Take off your bump stops, you're probably bottoming out on them. It feels about the same as bottoming out a shock. This happened all the time on my last truck until I took them off, then it rode like factory. Your factory shocks shouldn't bottom out with the shackles only. Also, Belltech makes a shock extender bracket, so that you can retain the original shocks with any drop.

I realize shackles will lower the rear, just curious if any one has removed the rear 2" blocks. In my simple mind that would be the easiest way to level the rear with the front. As far as the U-bolt, once the blocks are removed, your on new threads so in my mind you would not need new ones.

Anyone ??

Mike